Poll: LEAST FAVORITE scent by Al's The Bomb
Bodgega
Saigon Boheme Calabria Calypso Goodfellas Jubilee Palermo Fougere About It Al's Private Stock
 05-04-2014, 02:49 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
I am asking least favorite scent by Al's The Bomb.

BUT… feel free to tell me which ones you like (or dislike) in the thread.

57 2,552
 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM
User Info
I voted Bodega, but Goodfellas might be my choice for most disappointing. As the classic barbershop I expected it to be my favorite, but to my nose it just smelled like bubble gum.

10 2,062
 05-04-2014, 03:05 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks for your input. I'll keep that in mind.
I want to try one out (maybe the sampler) but just needed some guidance on what to avoid, then I can choose what sounds best of what's remaining.
I have had a sample of Calypso, and I liked it but willing to check others out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,552
 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM
User Info
The sampler might be the way to go, all the scents are pretty complex and hard to describe.

10 2,062
 05-04-2014, 03:19 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(05-04-2014, 02:55 PM)taborcarn Wrote: I voted Bodega, but Goodfellas might be my choice for most disappointing. As the classic barbershop I expected it to be my favorite, but to my nose it just smelled like bubble gum.

I voted Goodfellas, as mentioned, the only scent I could detect was bubble gum.

31 1,510
 05-04-2014, 03:44 PM
User Info
Goodfellas was pretty much the only one I didn't like... although the Private Stock scent wasn't for me. I just didn't hate it like Goodfellas.

16 249
 05-04-2014, 07:39 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
There isn't one I dislike. Al's is great stuff. It's more a question of which one's are my favorites that I use fairly regularly. Please just pass along any dislikes in my direction.

38 5,032
 05-04-2014, 09:07 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-04-2014, 07:39 PM)evnpar Wrote: There isn't one I dislike. Al's is great stuff. It's more a question of which one's are my favorites that I use fairly regularly. Please just pass along any dislikes in my direction.

Welllll, which are your favorites Huh Biggrin

I actually meant to add that into my OP… I'll do that now.

57 2,552
 05-06-2014, 05:41 PM
User Info
My favorites in his regular line (ones I like enough to own):

-Calypso - Bay Rum, but probably one of the best, if not THE best, Bay Rums I have tried

-Bodega - Newer formulation for the scent. The old Bodega was amazing, but the new Bodega (which was Casablanca during a "scent of the month" offering) is pretty amazing. Al told me he based it, conceptually, on Terre d'Hermes, but I really don't see the similarities personally. Citrus, woods and spices, where Calypso : Bay Rum & Clove :: Bodega : Citrus & Five Spice.

Some of Al's "scent of the months" which are spectacular (he can probably make them for you):

-Piemonte - Basically a fougere. An amazing fougere. I love this stuff enough that I have it in the cream and aftershave. Al's Fougere About It is a similar scent, but not as good in my eyes.

-Al's Spice - Burnt Orange, Cinnamon, Clove. This is sweet, spicy and all-around an awesome scent. It was a big hit at my house around Christmas, it fit the season quite well.

There are a ton of other scent of the month varieties which are awesome:

-31 - ozone notes, sort of breezey, aquatic, bright. Extremely unique scent.

-Zenyatta Aranciatta - a spicy, fresh orange scent unlike any other I've smelled. Not sweet at all.

Hope this helps!

16 249
 05-06-2014, 10:15 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-06-2014, 05:41 PM)explodyii Wrote: Hope this helps!

Sure does, thanks for the detailed explanations Biggrin

57 2,552
 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I actually disliked Bodega, and really liked Goodfellas...All of them work fantastically, but the scents of some of them are horrid...Saigon is another that comes to mind - smells like Pickles to me...blech, but shaves just fine and shave quality trumps scent for me by a large margin...

His 7-day shave soap sample lasted about 2 months of daily use, and was well worth the money - I bought a full sized Goodfellas, and Fougere, and have used only about 1/4 of them...

71 1,468