05-05-2014, 08:06 AM
User Info
About a week ago I got my first DE safety razor and was completely clueless, I've been using it most of the week with my old can goop and hot water and the shaves have been kind of excruciating with the amount of razor burn I was getting but I kept reading post after post about how important product and prep are so I bought a small kit from the art of shaving which has some preshave oil a little shaving cream (in a tube but able to be lathered) a brush and some aftershave balm. After one shave I replaced the cream with some williams mug soap which I was able to get a really nice lather out of and the last couple days I've gotten really awesome close burnless shaves. I don't think i'm quite done playing with it yet because I'm really not a huge fan of the derby blades that came with this razor but the difference with and without a good soap and preshave oil has been amazing. Thanks go out to everyone who has taken the time to post about their experiences and knowledge or taken the time to make instructional videos and reviews.

0 55
 05-05-2014, 08:33 AM
User Info
That's good to read!

Don't forget no pressure against the skin. Especially if you come to a safety razor from cartridges that has to be the most difficult item to learn. Cartridges require pressure to work, a blade requires extremely close to no pressure to work most efficiently.

32 6,445
 05-05-2014, 08:38 AM
User Info
(05-05-2014, 08:33 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: That's good to read!

Don't forget no pressure against the skin. Especially if you come to a safety razor from cartridges that has to be the most difficult item to learn. Cartridges require pressure to work, a blade requires extremely close to no pressure to work most efficiently.

I keep trying to remind myself of that while I'm shaving, getting better at it. I think that canned shaving creams are made to handle that pressure as well because they just don't get picked up as efficiently by a safety razor as they do with cartridges.

0 55
 05-05-2014, 08:53 AM
User Info
Good job.
You will be shaving with a straight razor in no time!

6 808
 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
This is the reason the forum was started. I'm glad to see it is paying off.

There are better soaps/creams that Williams and there is darn sure better blades than the Derby. Order a blade sample pack from your favorite vendor and enjoy your shaves.

175 23,752
 05-05-2014, 09:00 AM
User Info
(05-05-2014, 08:53 AM)Galhatz Wrote: Good job.
You will be shaving with a straight razor in no time!

Straight razors are still a bit intimidating. I worry about cutting my face wide open.

0 55
 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM
User Info
Do what you're comfortable with. There is no law or rule, written or unwritten that the natural progression is blade, then str8. Lots of shavers have no intention of ever picking up a str8 razor, but of course there's no rule saying you can't use one either. Or change your mind at any time. It's another case of no pressure. :-)

32 6,445
 05-05-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
I've lost a considerable amount of weight over the last year, about 80lbs but I still have a bit of fat under my jaw line and I find it very difficult to remove the stubble from that area with a safety razor, if I don't make progress on that in the next several months I might consider it but it's not on my horizon right now.

0 55
 05-05-2014, 03:06 PM
User Info
(05-05-2014, 11:01 AM)lantech19446 Wrote: I've lost a considerable amount of weight over the last year, about 80lbs but I still have a bit of fat under my jaw line and I find it very difficult to remove the stubble from that area with a safety razor, if I don't make progress on that in the next several months I might consider it but it's not on my horizon right now.

You really owe it to yourself to follow Mark Herro's (Mantic59) starter videos because he will really give you the basics at first and you can gradually go into more advanced techniques to work on hard to shave areas.

BTW: I learned to lather with current Williams soap and I worked all the way through that first puck before moving on to "better" stuff. One thing that soap did was make me learn how to make a complete lather (moist and thick) which increased my technique so that many "hard to lather" soaps I found afterwards were really not hard to lather at all.

Good fortune on your new shaving adventure.

1 2,827
 05-05-2014, 03:16 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I've been shaving with a DE razor and brush for years. Yet it was only today I learned how to make Uber Lather and had a fantastic shave.

68 1,047
 05-05-2014, 06:49 PM
User Info
Great to hear and best of luck with the journey!
It just keeps getting better and better! Smile

82 21,056
 05-05-2014, 07:44 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Welcome to the wonderful world of wet shaving. Smile

2 11,211