03-02-2012, 07:28 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'm trying to thin my razor collection a bit, but have become intrigued by the Hydro magic. I bought one off eBay and it should be delivered soon. What can I expect from these jewels? I love my PAL Adjustable and my Schick Adjustable but I've since discovered that since going adjustable, my other Schicks just don't seem to do as well as the adjustables. Will it be the same case with this one?

116 3,804
 03-02-2012, 08:01 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have two Schick Injectors an E and an I-2 (Hydro-Magic). I much prefer the older E. It may be a bit more aggressive but it gives a much better shave, in my opinion. I just don't get as close a shave with the Hydro-Magic as I do with the E.

2 11,211
 03-02-2012, 09:03 PM
User Info
After only a couple shaves with my E2, I can agree with Freddy. The E2 gives me a much better shaver than my I1. Though not a Hydro Magic, it's still pretty similar. The I shaves good, but the E was just great!

31 7,914
 03-03-2012, 04:35 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Thanks for the opinions. I saw one on the Bay ending soon and threw a bid on it. I'll give it a shave or two and see what I think. I do love these old schicks though.

116 3,804
 03-03-2012, 05:25 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The Hydro Magic is a very nice razor. I used to have one called the Hydro Magic Eye. Very similar just a little fancy. Good luck with the razor.

100 12,442
 03-03-2012, 01:05 PM
User Info
The best thing about the HydroMagic is the ability to clean the inside of the head. They're somewhat mild, like all the later Schicks.

I had one of the Eversharp ones (I think), and it was nice, but not as good a shave for me as my E, F, and G types.

I do like the Schick and Pal Adjustables too, but I still prefer the old E-G models.

All these are excellent razors that don't get nearly the attention they deserve (on the forums).

37 1,731
 03-03-2012, 06:09 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
That is exactly what intrigued me Yohann. I'm wishing there was an open comb schick to try.

116 3,804
 03-09-2012, 07:47 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I find my I2 Hydro-magic shaves/feels about the same as my G1. A little more aggressive than the I1 or J1.

173 23,535
 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I've been using my Schick I2 Hydro-magic again and amazed by the shaves, especially since I've been mixing better lather.

I'm going to shave with this one for awhile!

1 750
 06-03-2013, 04:55 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
I have to go against the grain here. I get far smoother shaves with my Hydromagic than my Es and Gs. They are all great but I can really get a close, fast, carefree shave with the Hydro every time.

18 281
 06-03-2013, 05:39 PM
User Info
I didn't care much for the G model and sold it. It was, however, with the Schick Chinese blades. I later on picked up a hydro magic and a pack of personna blades (connaught) and that setup works extremely well for me so I started hoarding them.
I am at 5 now (two i2's and three 500's). I think I'm set.

6 808
 06-04-2013, 08:49 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
(06-03-2013, 04:55 PM)daccpa Wrote: I have to go against the grain here. I get far smoother shaves with my Hydromagic than my Es and Gs. They are all great but I can really get a close, fast, carefree shave with the Hydro every time.

This goes for me too. I love the E2 but I enjoy the smoother shaves with the Hydro-magic and and J1 type.

1 750
 06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Another great shave with the Hydro-magic today. Mixed up a nice slick lather, and used a re-branded Personna blade from EMS. The first time I tried this blade. Like most blades, the first shave is sometimes rough, but man, it cuts closer than the Schick blades and took less effort for a DFS. It is really sharp and reminds me of a Feather blade. Bird Lives has said these are sharp and sometimes take a couple shaves to smooth out. I’m glad the EMS blades is sharp and can’t wait to order 200 more soon!

Overall, a great shave that feels great and refreshing as the day moves on. A good lather and a sharp blade make all the difference!

New Also, I love to open the Hydro-magic to clean it, it feels cool! Taking the lever, pulling it up, watching the blade hang in place while I douse it with water. It’s a fine machine!

I read the instructions on the back of a Hydro-magic NOS package to leave the head open to dry (until the next shave). So sometimes I do this too!

1 750
 06-06-2013, 01:12 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Another fine morning with the Schick I2 Hydro-magic. The Personna blade is on its second day and smooth as silk. I’ve been going north to south and south to north, and I’m happy with the CCS I’m getting day after day. If I do touch up, it’s practically a DFS each time. Depends on my mood, but CCS is becoming the constant because it feels so comfortable during the day. And CSS, DFS and BBS looks the same on my face anyway! Yes, I’m becoming more enamored over the process than the final result!

Aces!

1 750
 04-11-2014, 09:05 PM
User Info
All my Schick injectors are Hydro-Magics; I2,J3,J4 & K1. I like the ability to open for cleaning but I only do that when I change the blade. I open it, clean it then close it before I inject the new blade. The shaves are just fine with Schick blades.

0 67
 04-13-2014, 05:54 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I hold my Everaharp Hydro-Magic in very high esteem. It is my favorite injector and one of my top 5 razors.

Andrew

43 1,690
 04-14-2014, 01:32 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
Not every razor one owns has to be aggressive. The HM is a fine injector and will give you a close comfortable shave. I have an E2, I1 and the HM (J3) and enjoy using each of them as the mood strikes me. You won't be disappointed, it's a good shaver.

16 545