05-11-2012, 04:55 AM
User Info
Coffee is a drink that I really enjoy. While I don't get as elaborate as some do when it comes to brewing the perfect cup, I still strive for the best brew I can make each time.

What steps & equipment do you use to make the perfect cup of Joe?

Here's my setup:
Fresh roasted beans from a local roaster (currently Tanzanian Peaberry), a MrCoffee burr grinder, a HamiltonBeach 12-cup autodrip Brewstation, unbleached filter.

I can change things up a bit based on the coarseness of my grind, or I can use a gold mesh filter. For the times I really want the most out of a cup but don't need to make much I bring out the French Press. Now this baby makes a smooth cup of coffee.

So, what's your setup for brewing the perfect cup, or pot, each time?

31 7,912
 05-11-2012, 05:11 AM
User Info
Strong! Biggrin

I can't afford high-dollar beans for the quantity I consume. The best bang-for-buck I know right now is a Columbian bean I get from Sam's Club. I grind them in a Krups coffee/spice grinder and brew directly into a Zojirushi thermal carafe. I'm a slow drinker and the carafe keeps the coffee hot enough for me without burning it, as often happens when leaving it on a hot plate.

[Image: 41PvifEtLCL._AA300_.jpg]
[Image: 51fMtP6S2PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
[Image: 419V8D7646L._AA300_.jpg]

4 112
 05-11-2012, 05:15 AM
User Info
(05-11-2012, 05:11 AM)dontodd Wrote: Strong! Biggrin

I can't afford high-dollar beans for the quantity I consume. The best bang-for-buck I know right now is a Columbian bean I get from Sam's Club. I grind them in a Krups coffee/spice grinder and brew directly into a Zojirushi thermal carafe. I'm a slow drinker and the carafe keeps the coffee hot enough for me without burning it, as often happens when leaving it on a hot plate.

[Image: 41PvifEtLCL._AA300_.jpg]
[Image: 51fMtP6S2PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
[Image: 419V8D7646L._AA300_.jpg]

Very nice, but I'm curious what you consider to be high dollar beans? My fresh roasted beans are cheaper than getting most brands from the grocery store. I pay just under $30 for 3 pounds of beans.

31 7,912
 05-11-2012, 05:23 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Whether I buy already ground coffee or grind my own, I brew it in a BUNN Coffee Maker. Twelve glorious cups at a time. On the average day, I will drink five pots of coffee. In the winter between 8-12 pots are consumed.

Did I mention I drink a lot of coffee.Biggrin

173 23,486
 05-11-2012, 05:26 AM
User Info
Holy cr%p Johnny!

9 333
 05-11-2012, 05:27 AM
User Info
(05-11-2012, 05:23 AM)Johnny Wrote: Whether I buy already ground coffee or grind my own, I brew it in a BUNN Coffee Maker. Twelve glorious cups at a time. On the average day, I will drink five pots of coffee. In the winter between 8-12 pots are consumed.

WOW Johnny. No wonder you get your coffee in bulk. I too brew mine 12 cups at a time, but I only drink 1 pot per day.

I kneel to your ultimate caffeinatedness!

31 7,912
 05-11-2012, 05:50 AM
User Info
(05-11-2012, 05:15 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Very nice, but I'm curious what you consider to be high dollar beans? My fresh roasted beans are cheaper than getting most brands from the grocery store. I pay just under $30 for 3 pounds of beans.

$10/lb seems a good price point. The more expensive brands in our grocery run between $8 and $9/12 oz. I think I'm paying $15 for 40 oz (2.5 lbs). I'd consider over $10/lb high dollar.

(05-11-2012, 05:23 AM)Johnny Wrote: Whether I buy already ground coffee or grind my own, I brew it in a BUNN Coffee Maker. Twelve glorious cups at a time. On the average day, I will drink five pots of coffee. In the winter between 8-12 pots are consumed.

No wonder you have 1,920 posts and counting! Wink

4 112
 05-11-2012, 07:07 AM
User Info
I make morning coffee in a Krups espresso machine with beans from eBay (usually Starbucks), or local beans if I've been to Vashon Island to visit my sisters, ground in a Braun grinder, with unbleached paper filters and Pur-filtered water. I drink about 3/4 of it, my wife the rest. Then I sometimes will make a later pot of decaf, with Peet beans. I can't drink regular coffee later than 3-4 pm without disturbing my sleep that night. However, I do drink a cup of regular joe at the ballet before the dancing starts, so that I don't nod off and start snoring.

(05-11-2012, 05:23 AM)Johnny Wrote: On the average day, I will drink five pots of coffee. In the winter between 8-12 pots are consumed.

My mother used to drink that much coffee in the late 1950s, usually black and so hot that it would have scalded the skin right off my tongue, but she finally developed a heart arrhythmia that the doctor blamed on the caffeine, so she had to cut down to 2-3 pots per day.

183 12,002
 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
User Info
Ecological fair-trade coffee, either ground in the wall mounted coffee grinder I have after my fathers mother and brewed a liter and a half at a time in an electric drip machine, or cold brewed in a Toddy brewer - about two liter of highly concentrated brain-fuel to go in the fridge for making lattes and ice coffee. On the weekends I sometimes make french press or use my moka pot on the stove top. Instant will do in a pinch if I just NEED MY FIX!

I'm notorious at work for drinking coffee too, but then so are most Norwegians. I go through 3-4 liters of the stuff a day on average (but don't tell my Better Half that Wink).

We 'weges loves us our coffee Biggrin

3 3,550
 05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
User Info
(05-11-2012, 09:38 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Ecological fair-trade coffee, either ground in the wall mounted coffee grinder I have after my fathers mother and brewed a liter and a half at a time in an electric drip machine, or cold brewed in a Toddy brewer - about two liter of highly concentrated brain-fuel to go in the fridge for making lattes and ice coffee. On the weekends I sometimes make french press or use my moka pot on the stove top. Instant will do in a pinch if I just NEED MY FIX!

I'm notorious at work for drinking coffee too, but then so are most Norwegians. I go through 3-4 liters of the stuff a day on average (but don't tell my Better Half that Wink).

We 'weges loves us our coffee Biggrin

I guess that means Johnny is a Norwegian! Wink

31 7,912
 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM
User Info
because I don't drink coffee all that much, I usually buy a bag of ground Colombian coffee and then stuff a few scoops into my coffee maker. other than that, I'll stop in our local convenience store to pick up a cup if I'm in the mood...

WOW..do you walk around with a urine bag attached to your leg? Tongue

40 5,830
 05-11-2012, 03:28 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Unfortunately since moving away for school my coffee consumption has been reduced to whatever I can get at the grocery store (walmart...). I miss the days back home (my father is a big coffee fan and always had a variety of fresh ground coffee) where I could actually sit down and sip a wonderful cup of coffee that didn't need flavored creamer to mask the cheap taste.

35 1,732
 05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
User Info
Love the smell, but don't drink it. When i used to drink a very little bit, it would, of course, have to be expresso; i am Portuguese! There is no other way to drink it.

75 20,883
 05-23-2012, 06:26 PM
User Info
I buy the cheap stuff, Folgers or Walmart. I drink it black and all day long, I average about 3-4 pots a day. I am a coffee achiever Biggrin

0 433
 05-23-2012, 06:56 PM
User Info
I started roasting green beans from Sweet Maria's on my stove-top a couple months ago. I use an aeropress for brewing. It's a bit labor intensive, but man, it tastes really good!

6 315
 05-23-2012, 07:43 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Costco, World Market or Peet's beans
Krups grinder.
Large french press.

35 2,703
 05-25-2012, 03:27 AM
  • iKon
  • Vendor/Mfg.
  • NYC
User Info
Normally bypass the Starbucks and head out for the old school brew.

[Image: oldschool.jpg]

7 243
 05-25-2012, 05:51 AM
User Info
I love Ethiopian coffee beans, but they're not readily available, so I mainly drink Folgers. I use a percolator, the best way to brew it IMO. The downfall of the typical drip coffee machine is the warmer tray. It can very easily overheat the brew resulting in a burnt or bitter taste. If the warmer came on after the brew cycle was complete it would make a better coffee, plus 'warmer' trays are far too hot.

My tip for percolators is reducing the heat in half when it begins to percolate. Brew it for 4 to 5 minutes after that then remove from the heat. It sounds too much like work, but it's really not. The result is a very smooth brew. YMMV, yadda, yadda...

I do love my coffee and drink it in large cups.

9 451
 05-25-2012, 06:05 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info

This is what we use. Only rarely, mind you; we're English tea drinkers, mainly.

1 290
 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-25-2012, 06:05 AM)Persius Wrote: This is what we use. Only rarely, mind you; we're English tea drinkers, mainly.

When I make brewed coffee at home (rarely) that is what I use. The moka pot makes a most delicious brew. Smile

2 11,211