05-06-2014, 08:08 AM
User Info
Hey Guys,

I'm into my second year of wetshaving and i'm having some issues containing my ever growing shaving den.

I have a stash of soaps that I love but don't use because i'm trying to finish off other soaps that I don't like as much. I've tried selling these soaps but they don't get much interest, and it seems like i'm constantly adding more and more soaps.

At what point do you guys say you have enough soap, brushes, razors and aftershaves?

I'm looking for some guidance as to where I should draw the line before this hobby starts causing me martial duress and financial hardships.

I try to be a minimalist in most aspects of my life, but i'm generally a failure in that regard as well.

Gurus, share with me your wisdom!

23 656
 05-06-2014, 08:43 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
You might want to pm wknicholas, I think he's the only person around here qualified to answer the question...Biggrin

17 549
 05-06-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
(05-06-2014, 08:43 AM)Macko Wrote: You might want to pm wknicholas, I think he's the only person around here qualified to answer the question...Biggrin

Biggrin

82 21,077
 05-06-2014, 09:11 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
From one who has learned much and spent much ....when you find a razor you like...STOP. When you find a soap that works...STOP...you can face lather with a nice brush and don,t need bowls or mugs...a good brush can be had for $35 to $50 ..(horse/badger)...most blades work the same and just concentrate on technique...warm soap wash...warm cloth and have fun.....collecting is fun but NOT NECESSARY....E mail me if you have any questions and I,ll be happy to share with you my results from testing.I have over 200 razors and some of my best shavers are not expensive...

6 2,022
 05-06-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
(05-06-2014, 09:11 AM)Harvey Wrote: From one who has learned much and spent much ....when you find a razor you like...STOP. When you find a soap that works...STOP...you can face lather with a nice brush and don,t need bowls or mugs...a good brush can be had for $35 to $50 ..(horse/badger)...most blades work the same and just concentrate on technique...warm soap wash...warm cloth and have fun.....collecting is fun but NOT NECESSARY....E mail me if you have any questions and I,ll be happy to share with you my results from testing.I have over 200 razors and some of my best shavers are not expensive...

You haven't found that razor yet? BiggrinBiggrin

For me, I have found a razor (Cobra) and since there are only two blades for it (That I know of) and I only like one, I am set there.

Soaps are hard to quit on. I haven't finished one yet so I don't have much advice on the matter except I tell myself I cannot try all of them, no matter how much the enablers of this forum go on and on about different ones I don't have.

Good luck!

31 1,800
 05-06-2014, 09:46 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
My point was how to NOT END UP LIKE ME.....I,m beyond help but I,m a product tester and being retired I decided I would see how far this took me...(way too far)....I have no regrets but......

6 2,022
 05-06-2014, 10:15 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-06-2014, 08:43 AM)Macko Wrote: You might want to pm wknicholas, I think he's the only person around here qualified to answer the question...Biggrin

I 100% agree with this. If Nick's SOTD changes get prepared as the end is near.Wink

178 23,807
 05-06-2014, 10:16 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-06-2014, 09:46 AM)Harvey Wrote: My point was how to NOT END UP LIKE ME.....I,m beyond help but I,m a product tester and being retired I decided I would see how far this took me...(way too far)....I have no regrets but......

You would just have to meet Harvey in person to understand. For an old guy he has his stuff together. Biggrin

178 23,807
 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
If you enjoy collecting and trying new products then there is never enough.

45 3,955
 05-06-2014, 01:47 PM
User Info
It took me YEARS but I have achieved quite a Minimalist den. I currently am using ONE straight razor, it's near twin is headed to me for a bit of a "rotation", I JUST sold my ONLY Badger brush on the BST here but that is because I have a 26mm Thater on the way to me in a few days. There is ONE vintage boar to use until the Thater arrives. I have a bit more soaps and creams but nothing that can't be stowed away in a medicine cabinet. Aftershaves are limited as well. 2 hanging strops and one paddle strop ALL by Tony Miller. One barber hone and one coticule. Very very VERY simple. I believe in a Minimalist LUXURY Den and that is what I have achieved. Love the feeling of simplicity! [Image: ppU5bwi.jpg]

19 775
 05-06-2014, 02:09 PM
User Info
Well, I found myself in your situation when the new shelf I put into the medicine cabinet filled up and overflowed. My solution and self imposed limit was a shave cabinet. When it was in danger of overflowing I was going to build another cabinet, but decided that would be ridiculous and would result in a problem with too many cabinets if taken to it's logical conclusion. My solution was to stop at the one cabinet. When it holds no more that's it. I reached that about 1 1/2 years ago, and now in order to try anything new I need to either use up products (I'm working on that), PIF, or sell some things. I don't buy others used soaps, so I'm not about to sell or PIF any. That leaves attrition or trashing them. I choose attrition.

But anyway, to answer your question, I just decided what my limit would be and I held to it.

Oh, the cabinet... http://shavenook.com/thread-recently-com...ve-cabinet

There is no up to date picture posted of the contents.

My problem is that I like variety and I don't just like one razor, soap, brush. I want it different every day. With a cabinet full and my system I will use the same setup once every few years at most. That is, once I'm done with the attrition phase of my current soap rotation (5? soaps).

32 6,458
 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
User Info
I have 6 brushes, 10 razors, 2 straights and maybe 30 soaps/creams. Some of my soaps are just samples, but I had a sample of MWF which I got from Larry (Whipped Dog) and I swear I used it twice a week and it lasted me over 6 months! I've used my Tabac puck at least 60 times and it still looks like it did the day I got it.

I've realized a few things so far, I'm not too keen on straights - the idea of a knife blade at my throat no longer appeals to me.

I don't have room for a cabinet or display shelf in my bathroom. I don't even have a drawer. I just have a cabinet under the sink and it's chock full of my shaving stuff. I was thinking of getting one of those plastic 3 drawer units to shove under there so at least I can access my things more easily.

23 656
 05-06-2014, 05:06 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
I can relate to your problems man Biggrin

4 447
 05-06-2014, 06:29 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
At a year and 7 months into this, I've tried my6 hand at just about everything that has perked my interest. I've been through at least 20 or so razors, 15 brushes, dozens of brands of soaps, creams, blades, after shaves, etc. I am at a point where I know what works and have sent the rest to other wetshavers. I have a core of 6 single edge razors. around 12 different soaps,croaps,creams that work for me. I've found a penchant for "old school" aftershaves. I like boar brushes and have 6 in rotation now.... I'm close to being at the ZEN place with my equipment. The only thing I desire at this point is a Cobra Classic... And I will at some point dabble in straight's. I have quite a large den and I built a nice shelf system to display my things. I am always ready to turn someone who is stuck in cart hell on to a lifetime of great shaves and have found myself having to replace a favorite razor from time to time. SO I guess my answer is when ever you find what it is you are looking for. Good Luck.... and HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 05-06-2014, 08:50 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I also feel I've found my zen in my den. I've had to accept I'm not one that can be happy with one razor, but like variety, and I have a modest collection of DE, Injectors and Cartridge razors that are the most fun for me to shave with. I have a modest collection of soaps too. It took me a year to slow down Smile

I agree with Macko and Johnny, Nick is the master of restraint!

1 750
 05-07-2014, 02:13 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Pardon me but screw the advice on face lathering only.Biggrin What's a bowl going to cost you? try nothing to 5 bucks ( my experience). But it's all relative. Take a look at your family's disposable income, make sure everyone else has been taken care of, reasonably, and go to it.

7 2,322