05-06-2014, 04:06 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on a synthetic and natural hair (badger/horse/boar) mixed knot...similar concept to the badger/boar or badger/horse mixed knots, so you'd have a synthetic/badger or synthetic/horse for example.

I was wondering if this is something realistic that we can expect in the future of our hobby? Does it make sense? Easy to implement? Pros/Cons, etc... . Just thought I'd start a discussion as I don't recall ever hearing of anything like this, and get some members' thoughts on the subject and maybe some brush experts can chime in as well Smile...

34 1,627
 05-06-2014, 04:18 PM
User Info
(05-06-2014, 04:06 PM)Giorgio Wrote: I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on a synthetic and natural hair (badger/horse/boar) mixed knot...similar concept to the badger/boar or badger/horse mixed knots, so you'd have a synthetic/badger or synthetic/horse for example.

I was wondering if this is something realistic that we can expect in the future of our hobby? Does it make sense? Easy to implement? Pros/Cons, etc... . Just thought I'd start a discussion as I don't recall ever hearing of anything like this, and get some members' thoughts on the subject and maybe some brush experts can chime in as well Smile...

In the 1950s there were mixed Generation 1 Nylon and Badger brushes. It was an attempt to reduce brush costs and to push more early Generation 1 Nylon fibers. The problems with mixing those are that the natural hairs expand with water while the the synthetic fibers do not. That might make coverage a bit spotty at the tips.

On this page is an early mixed brush from the 1950s. Badgerlon was what Ever-Ready named their mixed Badger Nylon brush line.

http://sharpologist.com/2012/09/syntheti...art-3.html

It was not a success.

1 2,827
 05-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(05-06-2014, 04:18 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: In the 1950s there were mixed Generation 1 Nylon and Badger brushes. It was an attempt to reduce brush costs and to push more early Generation 1 Nylon fibers. The problems with mixing those are that the natural hairs expand with water while the the synthetic fibers do not. That might make coverage a bit spotty at the tips.

On this page is an early mixed brush from the 1950s. Badgerlon was what Ever-Ready named their mixed Badger Nylon brush line.

http://sharpologist.com/2012/09/syntheti...art-3.html

It was not a success.

This is exactly the type of feedback I was hoping to find...thanks for jumping in and for the reference. The argument makes complete sense...I didn't even think about the water retention of natural vs synthetic and how they would act in the same brush.

I guess we'll likely never see a Badgerlon 2....Tongue

34 1,627
 05-06-2014, 07:03 PM
User Info
I would have to agree with Gary on this one! I surely wouldn't want to try some variant of this! Biggrin

83 21,115
 05-06-2014, 07:44 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(05-06-2014, 07:03 PM)celestino Wrote: I would have to agree with Gary on this one! I surely wouldn't want to try some variant of this! Biggrin

Biggrin

34 1,627