05-06-2014, 04:52 PM
User Info
Is there a feeling worse than the "catch" of the straight on the skin and then waiting forever for the blood to come to the surface? You just know it's coming, then you start to think "perhaps it felt worse than it was" ..... and then it finally happens.

129 6,685
 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
Yeah man, there is. Whem you are waiting for a month so a haul to arrive, and instead, you ereceive a letter from te post office demanding that you go there to pay the tax.

God, i hate it. Biggrin

4 447
 05-06-2014, 05:08 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I hear you, Doug.

For me, the Feather AC have been wonderful ... but when they bite, it's far worse than a conventional straight.
These SE blades are ruthlessly sharp ... which is good and bad ... Confused

At first I don't see anything, and I think 'hmmm not so bad' ... then the sting creeps on me, dull and non-localizing at first ... and then sharp and piercing ... then the neat 2" thin line of blood ... dripping ...
... ouch ... Exclamation

102 18,653
 05-06-2014, 05:23 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Sounds like you guys need to go back to cartridges...Wink

17 549
 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Well I have a bit of a recent tale of heartbreak that rivals the feeling just not in a physical sense. I will not take the thread OT or bore with the gorey details. Ill say this, it has to do with a long sought after vintage straight, an OCD owner that stayed up until 4am, had it gorgeous and just couldn't leave well enough alone, and ends with a totally unusable, albeit very pretty, razor.
At any rate I know and feel your pain and have experienced it first hand. The worst is when it happens right at the end of what was up to that point a very good shave.

9 429
 05-06-2014, 07:14 PM
User Info
Had a great experience with a NOS Tosuke Inoue Kamisori with its sharp tip; 2" gash on my check and didn't even feel it, but I sure saw the end result! Biggrin

83 21,081
 05-06-2014, 07:23 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thank you, thank you, I just changed my mind about trying a Feather AC and a Kamisori.

38 5,115
 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(05-06-2014, 07:23 PM)evnpar Wrote: Thank you, thank you, I just changed my mind about trying a Feather AC and a Kamisori.

Oh no! These posts were not meant to discourage others from trying these fine blades ... just words of caution ... always be vigilant, even when enjoying a shave! Biggrin

Given enough time, I am capable of getting complacent and cutting myself with any razor ... even a Fusion ... Tongue

102 18,653
 05-06-2014, 07:53 PM
User Info
(05-06-2014, 07:23 PM)evnpar Wrote: Thank you, thank you, I just changed my mind about trying a Feather AC and a Kamisori.

The ProGuard blades are actually pretty nice and give you a fair warning.

6 832
 05-06-2014, 08:07 PM
User Info

Don't let the comments change your mind. Most of the nicks or cuts are exceptionally minor (as was mine today), and was the result of not using any care on a final touch up. Ihave found myself not getting "weepers" with straights or Feather ACs. All of the weepers I have received have been with "safety" razors. Biggrin

129 6,685
 05-06-2014, 08:14 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-06-2014, 07:28 PM)Agravic Wrote: Oh no! These posts were not meant to discourage others from trying these fine blades ... just words of caution ... always be vigilant, even when enjoying a shave! Biggrin

Given enough time, I am capable of getting complacent and cutting myself with any razor ... even a Fusion ... Tongue

It is so true re: complacency. I think that is why to me this happens it seems right at the very end of wyat has been a great shave. It is going so well and so smooth i get a bit to complacent and then it happens!

9 429
 05-07-2014, 01:15 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Rookies...Tongue

17 549
 05-08-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
Worst feeling?
Sure, cuts may hurt a bit and bruise your ego.But they heal. And you learn to pay attention.
But the worst feeling of all where razors are concerned ?
You get a blade in. A nice CVH. You start to take before photos and under magnification what do you see. Gee.. that looks like a crack.
YUP. it is. It won't heal.
Blade shot. And it was in original Ivory.
Then to rub salt in the wound you get the next blade in the line up.
A massive W&B. Looks like it will be a winner for sure.
Start sanding, then move on to a bit of polish and what rears it's ugly head? Yup. a crack that was hiding in the factory grind lines. So fine I couldn't see it.
My analogy is you have a dirty mirror. Are there scratches and pits in it? You don't see them until you begin to clean it and then they show up.
W&B's I've see maybe 3 or 4 with cracks. CVH's .. well more than a half dozen as those blades are just so darn thin.
But two in one day?
C'mon..give me a break. or at least the owners a break, and not in their blades. I know it averages out. May not see another for 6 months. But I'm still bummed.
This is not a good feeling.

0 777