05-07-2014, 04:33 AM
  • InZeFACE
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Good morning and happy humpday everyone.

I started wet shaving this past Christmas, and for the most part I have my technique down well with my DE razor. I'm still working on my SR shaves, but that'll take me some time since I only do it on the weekends when I have the time to enjoy it.

I've been doing a 2 pass shave and getting DFS with a WTG pass and an XTG pass. Lately I've been trying to see if I can chase that BBS shave and trying ATG passes only to end up in a bloodbath filled with fire, brimstone, and shame.

It seems that no matter how slick my lather is, or what prep/pre I use, I just can't go ATG. I used to do it all the time with a cart, though it tore me up even worse back then with goo, I did it because of work and not wanting to deal with the hassle of being accused of not shaving.

What is happening is, as I go ATG the razor seems to skip. I've experimented with angle and have yet to resolve it. I'm working with both a Gillette Super adjustable and a Merkur 37C. No combination of razor/blade/setting yet has been able to avoid the skip. It makes a sound like I'm rubbing a rasp against my face, and feels like it afterward. I've even tried applying pressure to make sure that it isn't that I'm just being too light and the razor is lifting from my skin. That was a horrible idea.

Any thoughts or words of wisdom?

0 22
 05-07-2014, 04:40 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I have a horrible time with ATG too and stopped trying. My face thanked me Smile I'll try again in the future bit very gingerly. One thing I wonder. Everyone does ATG as their last pass when their lather is the thinnest. Maybe a relather at this point would be more effective for you and bring back the glide. Just a thought.

58 1,312
 05-07-2014, 04:47 AM
  • InZeFACE
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
(05-07-2014, 04:40 AM)Lutebro Wrote: I have a horrible time with ATG too and stopped trying. My face thanked me Smile I'll try again in the future bit very gingerly. One thing I wonder. Everyone does ATG as their last pass when their lather is the thinnest. Maybe a relather at this point would be more effective for you and bring back the glide. Just a thought.

I've tried going back to the puck just for that purpose. Still no go so far. =(

0 22
 05-07-2014, 05:00 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Skin too tight? Have you tried doing the fat neck? Push your chin closer to your chest to make the skin flatter and more flexible?

58 1,312
 05-07-2014, 05:29 AM
User Info
Depending on the thickness and coarseness of ones beared, it may not be possible to go ATG without a trip to the ICU. I have been wet shaving for years now and still am unable to go ATG, with the mildest razor or even a cartridge in the past. WTG,XTG works best for me.

6 589
 05-07-2014, 05:52 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
WTG and 1 or 2 XTG passes may be a safer option, in lieu of doing an ATG pass after WTG and XTG passes.

ATG can be a treacherous path to take ... and is not worth it, overall.

BBS is nice, but DFS is kinder to your skin in the long run ...

102 18,668
 05-07-2014, 06:14 AM
  • InZeFACE
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
(05-07-2014, 05:00 AM)Lutebro Wrote: Skin too tight? Have you tried doing the fat neck? Push your chin closer to your chest to make the skin flatter and more flexible?

I've never heard of that. I'll give that a shot.

(05-07-2014, 05:52 AM)Agravic Wrote: WTG and 1 or 2 XTG passes may be a safer option, in lieu of doing an ATG pass after WTG and XTG passes.

ATG can be a treacherous path to take ... and is not worth it, overall.

BBS is nice, but DFS is kinder to your skin in the long run ...

I just wanted to see if I could get to BBS really. Not necessary anymore. I could go unshaven now, but who does that? Surely not me. Shaving is just too much fun now.

0 22
 05-07-2014, 06:18 AM
User Info
Try Noxzema between passes along with a cold shave. No skipping, very slick. No irritation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 8
 05-07-2014, 06:22 AM
  • InZeFACE
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Noxzema? I saw Big John's video about using that in lieu of Proraso Green preshave. I might just have to try it out after all to see if it adds anything to the shave in general.

I have tried shave oils, but I really dislike them. My skin is oily to begin with, I don't need help with that! I just come out of those shaves feeling like i need to scrub my face.

0 22
 05-07-2014, 06:24 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find very light very short strokes work best for ATG, but I need two passes prior, WTG and XTG. I get no rash. When I started out I used to get irritation. Depends on the razor you're using, too. I find a Tech is quite good for ATG, a mild razor in other words. Eve a slightly dull blade: don't go there.

0 1,843
 05-07-2014, 06:33 AM
User Info
I'm in the same boat. I can not go ATG at all. If I try, I'm rewarded with a week of ingrown hairs. Heck, even XTG I get some ingrown hairs. You might try looking into some of the "advanced" shaving techniques floating around. I've been getting DFS with 2 passes, one WTG and another WTG but blade buffing. My face thanks me everyday too!

21 555
 05-07-2014, 06:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Do one WTG and two XTG passes. Make the first XTG pass from ear to nose and the second XTG pass from nose to ear. That will get you OMBS (old man butt smooth) without the irritation.

179 23,923
 05-07-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
This is indeed very challenging.
Have you tried stretching your skin taut and blade buffing at the same time? Don't over do it as irritation is not worth the BBS!
Best of luck!

83 21,107
 05-07-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
(05-07-2014, 06:50 AM)Johnny Wrote: Do one WTG and two XTG passes. Make the first XTG pass from ear to nose and the second XTG pass from nose to ear. That will get you OMBS (old man butt smooth) without the irritation.

+1
This would be my daily routine

0 475
 05-07-2014, 07:48 AM
User Info
I have found that I usually can do ATG passes without damage so long as I concentrate fully and stroke slowly, keep the razor very light on my skin (no pressure at all, sort of 'hydrofoiling'), and keep the angle of the razor head to my skin very shallow so that blade has less chance to 'dig in.'

207 12,350
 05-07-2014, 11:45 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(05-07-2014, 07:35 AM)celestino Wrote: This is indeed very challenging.
Have you tried stretching your skin taut and blade buffing at the same time? Don't over do it as irritation is not worth the BBS!
Best of luck!

Could not agree more Smile

The name of the game is ; progressive bearD reduction. Not elimination Biggrin

4 447
 05-07-2014, 11:50 AM
  • InZeFACE
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
(05-07-2014, 11:45 AM)Gago Wrote: The name of the game is ; progressive bear reduction. Not elimination Biggrin

I don't know. Bears are pretty scary, but I'd rather not reduce their population. Tongue

I will give that a shot though.

0 22
 05-07-2014, 11:55 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(05-07-2014, 11:50 AM)InZeFACE Wrote:
(05-07-2014, 11:45 AM)Gago Wrote: The name of the game is ; progressive bear reduction. Not elimination Biggrin

I don't know. Bears are pretty scary, but I'd rather not reduce their population. Tongue

I wasn't sure if he meant beard or boar ... or I would have made an edit ... Tongue

102 18,668
 05-07-2014, 11:57 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(05-07-2014, 04:33 AM)InZeFACE Wrote: It seems that no matter how slick my lather is, or what prep/pre I use, I just can't go ATG.

Join the club brother. I've been wet-shaving for 20 years and I never been able to go ATG either.
(well - I've been able to; but it's not worth it for me)

Only you can experiment and figure out what your skin will or will not take.

17 535
 05-07-2014, 11:57 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(05-07-2014, 11:50 AM)InZeFACE Wrote:

LOL

Fixed that Biggrin

Those bears are tricky to reduct Rolleyes

4 447