05-07-2014, 02:35 PM
User Info
So I got some with my Toggle, but didn't want to open/use them so not ruin the 'set'.. But they looked so cool!

Ended up buying some on eBay. They came plastic wrapped from the outside, double paper from the inside and looked very 'healthy'.

Oh well.. They scraped on my face like I was shaving with a piece of glass. Worse, when I put my worst blade mid-way instead to rescue the operation, it felt like a Feather in comparison lol

Maybe it didn't help that I was using an ATT R2 but..

Was hoping to enjoy them :/

[Image: pazu6a4y.jpg]

1 182
 09-14-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
Man, I thought it was just me. I had the absolute worst shave with these blades! Definitely was NOT my technique, nor was my Gillette Slim or my lathering...

I shaved my head the other day with them and it was the most uncomfortable shave I have ever had. I, of course use razors to shave my head, as I keep a full beard, but no part of the shave was good. It literally took me AN HOUR to get the hairs off of my head.

It usually takes me between 10 mins and 30 if I'm really taking my time and enjoying it.

1 1,975
 09-15-2014, 02:54 AM
User Info
I got some vintage blades as well, but I think I keep them packaged after reading these experiences.

0 55
 09-15-2014, 04:59 AM
User Info
Those Gillettes seem to be pre-60's, so they are probably made with carbon steel.
And carbon steel DE blades don't stand up the test of time as well as stainless steel blades, introduced in the 60's...

2 5,547
 09-15-2014, 07:22 AM
User Info
Okay so they actually just turned bad Smile

0 55
 09-15-2014, 08:39 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Believe me, if they were like that when they were new all men would've been sporting beards. I've had that experience too but I forged on and found most, if sealed completely when I got them, shave great you just don't get many shaves out of one. I used a vintage Gillette Thin this morning and had a great shave. Another caveat is I don't do my usual three passes last one against the grain. I do four with two across the grain in different directions. I've gotten great shaves from Blues and Super Blues as well. But it is a gamble and not worth the risk for some.

7 2,322
 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM
User Info
Well, honestly, they look like they'd be great for back in the days, however, what I experienced, they will simply be in the "collectors" brim.

1 1,975