05-07-2014, 04:42 PM
User Info
So I've been getting these amazing shaves since I started but suddenly I'm breaking out all over my face and I'm wondering what I'm using that might be the culprit, following is the list of things I use on my face:

The art of shaving sandalwood preshave oil
williams shave soap
a few days I used the art of shaving after shave balm but after reading that people with oily skin should be using an alcohol based product I switched to royall bay rhum that was about 4 days ago.

My assumption would be that it's the preshave oil but you guys know better than I do. I wonder if I should just use the glycerin bar soap I have with really hot water instead of preshave oil?

0 55
 05-07-2014, 05:07 PM
  • clk
  • Louisville, Kentucky
User Info
It probably is the pre shave oil. Stop using it for a week or two and see if your condition improves.

0 230
 05-07-2014, 06:56 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
It's almost certainly the preshave oil. I agree, switching to glycerine soap and a hot washcloth is a good idea. Let us know the outcome.

38 5,031
 05-07-2014, 08:57 PM
User Info
Also, make sure you're washing your face after your shave, well. I personally use an alcohol based aftershave afterwards too. Not totally cleaning off the soap will lead to acne.

12 848
 05-07-2014, 09:36 PM
User Info
ok so tonight, I got rid of the preshave oil and prewashed with sappo hill natual glycerin soap for a few minutes with very hot water, proceeded with my shave washing with hot water in between every pass (without glycerin soap) and then at the end i washed for a few minutes with the glycerin soap with very cold water and used royall bay rhum aftershave. I'll gladly take any suggestions on ways to improve upon this otherwise i'll continue this way for the next week and hope it begins to get better.

0 55
 05-08-2014, 06:22 AM
User Info
As of this morning the acne is already getting better, unfortunately the preshave oil was really the difference between an ok shave for me and an incredible shave. Any suggestions on alternative products?

0 55
 05-08-2014, 06:34 AM
User Info
Try the Proraso pre shave cream or Noxzema before shaving and between passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 8
 05-08-2014, 06:40 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Wondering if a different pre-shave oil would make a difference. Art of Shaving is straight oils and the oils used might be the problem.

I googled the ingredients, and taken out the INCI names to make it easier to understand and read.
Ingredients: Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Sandalwood Oil, Lavender Oil, Clove Oil, Pepper Oil.

Sandalwood Oil, Lavender Oil, Clove Oil, Pepper Oil: chances are make up 6% or less of the total 100% of the recipe. So castor oil and olive oil make up the majority of the oils used in this product. While Castor is one of the main oils used in the Oil Cleansing Method that is recommended for those with acne, it's possible that the olive oil in the AOS pre-shave oil may be the problem. Olive oil is a heavier oil and as odd as that sounds there is a difference in the oils used for cosmetic purposes.

Another thought might be to use a pre-shave oil that contains tea tree oil. Using it for it's medicinal purposes rather than it's scent. Tea tree oil has some great properties and have been used for a very long time for those medicinal properties. And since your layering scents it won't stick out like a sore thumb and your other scents you use will be the scent smelled like others.

I make my pre-shave oil using another ingredient that helps it wash off easier if that makes sense and it's gotten a lot of compliments by my customers. But also I have selected oils for very specific purposes. Castor oil and olive oil that are in AOS are cheaper oils and personally I wouldn't use olive oil in a product to be used on the face. While it can be used in skin care like lotion for the hands and body I feel there are better oils out there that can be used for those purpose. But Olive Oil makes a great and gentle bath soap but personally I prefer other oils added when it's used in a bath soap. But that's another topic.

My Ingredients:
Oils Used : Avocado Oil, Fractionated Coconut Oil, Jojoba, Meadowfoam Oil
Other Ingredients Used : Isopropyl Myristate, Tocopherols

Drop me a PM with your addy if you would like me to mail you out a sample of my PC pre-shave oil to try out.

7 405
 05-08-2014, 06:43 AM
User Info
I think the alcohol based after shave is the biggest difference maker for me. Although we tend to want to thing of acne as "clogged" pores from something we did, time and time again research it is bacteria-related at the site of a hair or pore. So in case there remains some bacteria at the time you've just scraped the pore and inflamed it, I think a good antiseptic treatment (like alcohol) is good to reduce acne. It seemed to for me.

0 303
 05-08-2014, 06:58 AM
User Info
I know that most of the time it is bacterially related, I have issues with foliculitis usually on my back that has in the past required antibiotics for, I have been acne free on my face however since I was 15 I'm 31 now and it seems to have popped up and now began to go away completely in time with the oil. The bay rhum which has rum and I believe vodka in it because this bottle is older than the law requiring it to be rubbing alcohol definitely holds back the progression of it but if I keep using the oil i'd have to wash my face with dawn to get by it I think

0 55
 05-08-2014, 07:13 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
The oils and ingredients used in any pre-shave oil are crucial to its performance and effects.
I am not here to put down anyones products as I an sure AOS has many people that love their pre-shave oil. That being said IMO there are a couple ingredients in it that when formulating a pre-shave oil i wrote off due to potential effects that i deemed less than desirable. That being said many product effects are very individual and again, I would bet many use and love the AOS product.
Also there are certain ingredients used by some in their pre shave oils that are know to be comedogenic, or pore clogging(ie: isopropyl myristate). A big cause of acne. Also IMO none of them were "clean" enough by any means. That is why I filter my PSO to a 100% sterile state and add just enough sd40 (a recent addition) to maintain that state. The very small amount of SD40 (so small legally it wouldn't even need to be listed as an ingredient, but it is) also provides an astringent benefit to the product as well.
While I personally feel a properly formulated pre-shave oil is of great benefit, there are some that view them as useless. That or perhaps for many they simply do just as well with out them.
I would stop using it. If the acne subsides you have found your culprit.
If at that time you decide you may want to explore alternate pre shave options I would do some research and ask around a bit. I would be happy to help you in any way, and that does not mean trying to get you too use mine It means sharing any knowledge on ingredients I posses with you so you can make you own, well informed decision.
I am working on an alternative pre shave option for those that have deemed pre shave oils not for them. It is a pre shave soap but it is about 4 weeks or so out at least. I think a properly formulated soap can offer many of the benefits of a pre shave oil and incorporate 2 steps into one. Cleansing and pre shave prep. A couple such options exist but like most pre shave oils I honestly think they could be better.

(05-08-2014, 06:43 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I think the alcohol based after shave is the biggest difference maker for me. Although we tend to want to thing of acne as "clogged" pores from something we did, time and time again research it is bacteria-related at the site of a hair or pore. So in case there remains some bacteria at the time you've just scraped the pore and inflamed it, I think a good antiseptic treatment (like alcohol) is good to reduce acne. It seemed to for me.

To a very large extent I agree, quite a large extent in fact. However the clogging of the pores offers a breeding ground which will foster bacterial growth and not allow proper cleaning or even at time prevent astringents properly exerting the bactericidal properties many possess.
I a firm believer that alcohol, in the proper amount, is not a bad thing. For some it appears to work well even in larger amounts. I have found the very small amount added to my PSO just to maintain its sterility has improved its performance. I attribute this to the astringent properties that alcohol possesses. The bactericidal properties are also an added benefit.

9 429
 05-08-2014, 07:34 AM
User Info
(05-08-2014, 07:13 AM)W.S.O. Wrote: The oils and ingredients used in any pre-shave oil are crucial to its performance and effects.
I am not here to put down anyones products as I an sure AOS has many people that love their pre-shave oil. That being said IMO there are a couple ingredients in it that when formulating a pre-shave oil i wrote off due to potential effects that i deemed less than desirable.
Also there are certain ingredients used by some in their pre shave oils that are know to be comedogenic, or pore clogging(ie: isopropyl myristate). A big cause of acne. Also IMO none of them were "clean" enough by any means. That is why I filter my PSO to a 100% sterile state and add just enough sd40 (a recent addition) to maintain that state. The very small amount of SD40 (so small legally it wouldn't even need to be listed as an ingredient, but it is) also provides an astringent benefit to the product as well.
While I personally feel a properly formulated pre-shave oil is of great benefit, sadly there are so many out there that are not many view them as useless. That or perhaps for many they simply do just as well with out them.
I would stop using it. If the acne subsides you have found your culprit.
If at that time you decide you may want to explore alternate pre shave options I would do some research and ask around a bit. I would be happy to help you in any way, and that does not mean trying to get you too use mine It means sharing any knowledge on ingredients I posses with you so you can make you own, well informed decision.
I am working on an alternative pre shave option for those that have deemed pre shave oils not for them. It is a pre shave soap but it is about 4 weeks or so out at least. I think a properly formulated soap can offer many of the benefits of a pre shave oil and incorporate 2 steps into one. Cleansing and pre shave prep. A couple such options exist but like most pre shave oils I think they could be better.

(05-08-2014, 06:43 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I think the alcohol based after shave is the biggest difference maker for me. Although we tend to want to thing of acne as "clogged" pores from something we did, time and time again research it is bacteria-related at the site of a hair or pore. So in case there remains some bacteria at the time you've just scraped the pore and inflamed it, I think a good antiseptic treatment (like alcohol) is good to reduce acne. It seemed to for me.

To a very large extent I agree, quite a large extent in fact. However the clogging of the pores offers a breeding ground which will foster bacterial growth and not allow proper cleaning or even at time prevent astringents properly exerting the bactericidal properties many possess.
I a firm believer that alcohol, in the proper amount, is not a bad thing. For some it appears to work well even in larger amounts. I have found the very small amount added to my PSO just to maintain its sterility has improved its performance. I attribute this to the astringent properties that alcohol possesses.

I really appreciate any of the knowledge that you and Krissy possess. I am currently using an alcohol based aftershave and glycerin soap both of which I learned about on here in large part due to both of you.

A thought I just had is what about creating a post shave wash? Something soothing but much like dish soap could really break through the oils and residues left by the shave products. It would be used in between your last pass and your aftershave or balm that way when you apply them it's to a truly clean surface. I'm not sure it would even have to be marketed for people with sensitive skin wouldn't that benefit all of us?

0 55
 05-09-2014, 01:29 AM
User Info
(05-08-2014, 06:34 AM)ctparamedic Wrote: Try the Proraso pre

I use it everyday and love it. It lasts long and it's probably the only product I can actually buy without ordering online, which is nice.

I agree. I started buying Tend Skin and using it as an aftershave and to battle ingrown hairs. Now I just make the "home made" kind which is basically just a mixture of crushed up aspirin dissolved in rubbing alcohol and witch hazel.

12 848
 05-09-2014, 08:01 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(05-08-2014, 07:34 AM)lantech19446 Wrote: A thought I just had is what about creating a post shave wash? Something soothing but much like dish soap could really break through the oils and residues left by the shave products. It would be used in between your last pass and your aftershave or balm that way when you apply them it's to a truly clean surface. I'm not sure it would even have to be marketed for people with sensitive skin wouldn't that benefit all of us?

Actually any "pre-shave" or facial soap could be used before or after the shave as well. There are many pre-shave and facial soaps available on the market.

I have taken mine a step further and not just looked at the oils used, and the percent's of each oil used because keep in mind each oil brings a different property of the party or finished product. Not all oils are created equal. But I also thought outside the box when I made mine at other ingredients that could benefit the skin further. Instead of just water used I used goats milk and fresh carrot juice. I also added carrot puree to add more to the finished bar as well because it will benefit the skin.

Liquids Used : Goats Milk and Fresh Carrot Juice
Oils Used : Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Palm Oil, Unrefined Shea Butter
Other Ingredients Used : Carrot Puree, Honey, Raw Silk Fibers, Sodium Lactate and Talc

http://prairie-creations.com/shop/index....cd16e2e93e

[Image: Pre-ShaveSoap200.jpg]

But there are plenty of commercial and artisan made facial soaps to choose from as well.

7 405
 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
Interesting, so pretty much the way I've been using the glycerin soap the last couple days. I look forward to trying yours in the near future

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

0 55
 05-09-2014, 02:42 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-08-2014, 07:34 AM)lantech19446 Wrote: A thought I just had is what about creating a post shave wash? Something soothing but much like dish soap could really break through the oils and residues left by the shave products. It would be used in between your last pass and your aftershave or balm that way when you apply them it's to a truly clean surface. I'm not sure it would even have to be marketed for people with sensitive skin wouldn't that benefit all of us?

Interesting idea. I like people that think outside the box a bit!
My initial thought is that a good quality soap should do this without the need for a wash after. There should be no residue per say and after a couple applications and passes your face should be clean, moisturized and free of residue or contaminants. One thing I think that may be a good idea for you to maybe try is to rinse well with warm water first, THEN cold water post shave. I personally just use very cold water to rinse and do well but if you feel there may be a residue that need removed id do a warm water rinse, THEN a very cold water rinse to close the pores.
One of the reasons I went to the lengths I did in making a soap and filtering the oils to sterile state etc was for reasons like this. SO they it would be as clean and pure a product as possible. My thought was it would improve performance and prevent issues like the one you are referring to.
Experiment a bit and please keep us posted. Thank You so much for the ideas, as I said love the outside the box thinking. Who knows what the next great thing might be ? It may be your very idea...

9 429
 05-11-2014, 04:21 AM
User Info
You *do not* to use pre-shave oil to get a good shave, good lather is what you need. Even a $2 VDH from your local supermarket can produce excellent lather. Use plenty of product (more than you think necessary) and if the lather is too dry, add water to the brush.
I would avoid washing your face with very hot water and especially not for a long time, it is not good for your skin and adds little to shave if not detrimental. Even a cold wash is good prep for shaving for many.
Post shave, after a good rinse, for me the best it's mixing some alcoholic aftershave with simple Aveeno. It's not oily but hydrates the skin better than anything i tried.

Non-shaving related: i had acne untill my mid 30's until my GE told me i should go on avoid gluten in my diet (mild intolerance). The acne was gone in two weeks and if no and then i don't pay attention to that rule for a few days, the acne comes back.

6 808
 05-11-2014, 06:56 AM
User Info
(05-07-2014, 04:42 PM)lantech19446 Wrote: So I've been getting these amazing shaves since I started but suddenly I'm breaking out all over my face and I'm wondering what I'm using that might be the culprit, following is the list of things I use on my face:

The art of shaving sandalwood preshave oil
williams shave soap
a few days I used the art of shaving after shave balm but after reading that people with oily skin should be using an alcohol based product I switched to royall bay rhum that was about 4 days ago.

My assumption would be that it's the preshave oil but you guys know better than I do. I wonder if I should just use the glycerin bar soap I have with really hot water instead of preshave oil?

From personal experience I would suggest using a blade no more than 2-3 times and following shave with a witch hazel antiseptic rinse. In the past if I shaved with an older blade my face would break out. Must be the bacteria thing.

14 97
 05-11-2014, 06:58 AM
User Info
I think you're right but I can't use these blades more than that my hair is so course that they dull that quickly. Thinking I may have to try feather next. The razor came with derby

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

0 55
 05-11-2014, 12:38 PM
User Info
(05-11-2014, 04:21 AM)Galhatz Wrote: You *do not* to use pre-shave oil to get a good shave, good lather is what you need. Even a $2 VDH from your local supermarket can produce excellent lather. Use plenty of product (more than you think necessary) and if the lather is too dry, add water to the brush.
I would avoid washing your face with very hot water and especially not for a long time, it is not good for your skin and adds little to shave if not detrimental. Even a cold wash is good prep for shaving for many.
Post shave, after a good rinse, for me the best it's mixing some alcoholic aftershave with simple Aveeno. It's not oily but hydrates the skin better than anything i tried.

Non-shaving related: i had acne untill my mid 30's until my GE told me i should go on avoid gluten in my diet (mild intolerance). The acne was gone in two weeks and if no and then i don't pay attention to that rule for a few days, the acne comes back.

Good post.

9 1,203