05-07-2014, 11:58 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I have only three razors - the R89 Grande I used for over a year and half, a Weber that I've had for six months, and a Parker 24 that I got just this week.

I got the Weber because I was looking for something more aggressive than the R89 and it was. I could feel it and hear it more than the Muhle and I was happy. After two months using just the Weber, I then decided to rotate between the Weber and the R89. To my surprise, my shaves with the Muhle were now about as good as the Weber's. DFS to BBS in three passes. Little cleanup required.

In the past two weeks, I've noticed that the Weber feels milder than it used to. It still gives me the same great shave but I no longer have the occasional weeper or irritation. Nada. It has also grown a little more quiet but its ability to whack through mu whiskers has not diminished one bit.

I'm thinking that the razor never changed. My technique did. I think I finally understood what folks meant by angle and no pressure, and managed to get consistent with technique (from prep to lather to shave.)

Has anyone had the same thing happen to them?

2 286
 05-08-2014, 02:38 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Yes sir, same here too. I used to think the Muhle R41 was a bit hairy to use but now it seems relatively normal. I went back to my Gillette Fat Boy, which was normally set at 6, and cranked it to 9 with good results. Technique just improved enough over time. In my case I would credit using straights almost exclusively with finally teaching me what a light touch and proper angle were all about.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-08-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
Happens all the time, in my opinion! Our technique just improves over time!
Great to hear you are getting great shaves! Smile

82 21,056
 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Celestino, it took long enough. Smile

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 05-08-2014, 09:29 AM
User Info
(05-08-2014, 07:39 AM)Karlo Wrote: Celestino, it took long enough. Smile

* No worries, my friend! As long as you are enjoying the shaves is what is important! Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-08-2014, 09:33 AM
User Info
But if you want a re-learning experience, you can just shim your razor blade like Celestino does to make it more aggressive.

206 12,189
 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I agree with your assessment that your technique is improving. I think that is fantastic! Enjoy!
I think we have all experienced it. It is a nice thing to see and feel occurring. In fact I think we are always improving maybe as more time passes in smaller ways but we find small things that we do sightly different that make our shaves more enjoyable. Actually I should really only speak for myself. the above holds true for me. Others can speak to their own thoughts and experience.
For me what you are experiencing is one of the many pleasantries of this hobby.

9 429
 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
In terms of relearning, I was thinking of ordering a Merkur 37. Smile

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 05-08-2014, 10:06 AM
User Info
I think that assessment is true the more you get to know the razor...and the more your technique improves with the razor.
I do not, however, ever think that my FaTip is becoming milder. It is 100% pay attention, or I WILL pay...

8 159
 05-08-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
(05-08-2014, 09:33 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: But if you want a re-learning experience, you can just shim your razor blade like Celestino does to make it more aggressive.

* John, that is a good idea, but I don't do that any longer. My DLCs works very well without a shim. I was only using a shim for that one milder DLC that I used to have. Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-08-2014, 01:58 PM
  • InZeFACE
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
I'd agree it sounds a lot like your technique has improved to the point that you can swap easily.

0 22
 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Damn, I've been shaving for 52 years and nothing's changed!Angry

You're absolutely right, as your technique and prep and lather improve, you might progress to more aggressive razors. Earlier this year I was using primarily milder razors, and have progressed to a Cobra and now straights. It's hard to learn better technique when you keep your adjustable set on 3, as I did for so many years. Once I challenged myself, I began to improve my technique out of necessity.

Good luck with your shaving adventure.

38 5,031