05-08-2014, 12:18 PM
User Info
I've had a Semogue 1250 for about a month now. It seems to have broken in well, but compared to my WD synthetic, WD black badger, and Muhle Black Fibre it just doesn't seem to whip up and hold as much lather. It doesn't seem to matter if I face or bowl lather.

I REALLY want to like this brush, but I find myself going for the synthetics or even the black badger over the Semogue.

The knot doesn't seem as dense as the Omega boars I've had in the past (a Pro 48 and a 11575) that I've since gotten rid of.

Could I be doing something wrong? It a gorgeous brush, it just isn't working for me.

21 555
 05-08-2014, 12:39 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-08-2014, 12:18 PM)BriDroid Wrote: I've had a Semogue 1250 for about a month now. It seems to have broken in well, but compared to my WD synthetic, WD black badger, and Muhle Black Fibre it just doesn't seem to whip up and hold as much lather. It doesn't seem to matter if I face or bowl lather.

I REALLY want to like this brush, but I find myself going for the synthetics or even the black badger over the Semogue.

The knot doesn't seem as dense as the Omega boars I've had in the past (a Pro 48 and a 11575) that I've since gotten rid of.

Could I be doing something wrong? It a gorgeous brush, it just isn't working for me.

While many love Semogue brushes I always prefered omegas to be honest. The only Semogue I now have is the mixed knot 2012 SE and that I like very much. The Semogue boars I had just werent for me. I did much better with the Omegas and now I find Im hardy using boars at all and honestly if I had to pick my favorite boar brush at the moment it is a $9 BurmaShave that just broke is so beautifully and has never shed a bristle. I was using it just for test lathers and hand lathers while testing products. After some time realized hey this thing has never lost a bristle, it sure looks to have broken in fairly nice, i should try it. I did and now I use it occasionally. I have a Vulfix boar, an Omega Boar and a Whipped Dog 30mm Monster boar and they hardly get any play time. At some point I will prob convince myself to get rid of them, im just not there yet.
Sorry for blabbering. My point, Im really not a huge boar fan anymore and when I was Semogue just wasn't for me anyway. I preferred Omegas and my $9 BurmaShave is actually the best of the lot. The little Vulfix I have isnt broken in yet so I cant say and it may never get broken in by me. The 300mm Whipped Dog boar, well that thing could lather a puck of ivory bath soap i will say that but I really am just not crazy about it. I think its just me and boars. Im sure others would really likes the ones I have and just don't use.

9 429
 05-08-2014, 12:52 PM
User Info
No shame in not liking a brush just because others do.
I am Portuguese, but don't use any of their most famous ones, the boars! I just find the badgers I have work better for me, nothing more.

If it isn't working for you, let it go and try some others! No need to feel guilty about this. Life is too short and need to enjoy it and be happy while doing it! Biggrin
Good luck.

82 21,056
 05-08-2014, 01:02 PM
User Info
I have 2 Semogues and I like them. I've had a number of Semogues and liked every one until...

Quite awhile back there was a Semogue 1250 that passed through many hands before coming into my hands. None of the previous owners liked it or could get it to work, and the initial owner I assume wouldn't sell it because of the problems with it, it was just just PIFed around trying to find a home for it. Anyway, it came into my hands and I couldn't get it to work either.

I checked with the gent I got it from and he said do what I want with it since it clearly was not going to work for anyone. The folks who tried before me know a lot more about brushes than I ever will. Ultimately I reknotted the handle and turned it into a badger. I used it in todays SOTD in fact. Now it's a really good brush. I rather like the handle. Biggrin

As I wrote, I like Semogue brushes. They aren't Omegas, but neither are Omegas Semogues. Each are different, but that 1250 was really different. It sounds like you may have gotten the identical twin to the brush I had and reknotted.

32 6,445
 05-08-2014, 01:04 PM
User Info
I have owned a handful of boars over the last 8 years..Semogue, Omega, and vintage...my sole brush in my den is a vintage Boar until my Thater arrives. I had brief love affairs with Semogue and Omega brushes but never a lasting love. Use what you like!

19 775
 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have owned the majority of the Semogue boars and most of them didn't work out for me. I still found them better than Omega, but some were too large, some too small, some too stiff and the remaining four are juuuuust right.

SoldConfusedOC
2030B

Kept: 620
Mystery faux horn

139 2,677
 05-08-2014, 01:10 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Good advice from Celestino, use what you enjoy. I grew up using boars and 40 years later still enjoy them a great deal but do not use them exclusively.

12 743
 05-08-2014, 01:17 PM
User Info
I love the handle, it's very simple and classy. I recently removed a horse knot that didn't get along with my face from an acrylic handle using the double boiler method. I don't think that will work to well for a wood handle though. Maybe a 22mm silver tip in in this brushes future?

How would I remove the knot from the wood handle, or can I?

21 555
 05-08-2014, 01:30 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Have you tried any other Semogue's? If you like the size of the 1250 you should try the 1800.

45 3,955
 05-08-2014, 03:05 PM
User Info
Not a Semogue lover either, I'm afraid. Give me an Omega any day. YMMV, naturally. Wink

1 253
 05-08-2014, 03:37 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have one, and it's one of my favourites. I see no issue with swirling the brush about on soap or croap to reload. Some folk obsess about this, as if there is some shame if a brush doesn't hold enough lather for 3 or more passes.

I don't find I have a problem with creating lather with cream, either, with the 1250. Maybe it's a combination of factors for you; not enough product/too much water.

Everyone has their preferences, though. Horses for courses. I'd make a pun there about horse bristles and boar, but I can't come up with one Smile

0 1,733
 05-08-2014, 04:38 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
Obviously not, it's just another case different strokes I'd say. If it's not working for you then just stick with the synth, or whatever is working for you. Set the boar aside and maybe at some point in the future you'll give it another go. Or not. Either way there's no point in using something that really doesn't work for you only because you wish it did. Confused

0 567
 05-08-2014, 04:46 PM
User Info
This thread reinforces that you have to find what works for you whether it be brush, soap, razor, or blade. Semogues are my favorites and I have a dozen or so in badger and boar. We are fortunate to have a broad selection of products. Unfortunately, it costs us to sometimes find what works for us. On a lighter note, if the 1250 still does not work for you, PM me - I'll give it TLC.Tongue

21 751
 05-08-2014, 05:38 PM
User Info
You're currently using two synthetics and a pure badger. The synthetics are soft yet "springy" brushes and the pure would definitely be considered scrubby, or at least firm, for a badger. You've also preferred Omega boars in the past. Omega boars tend to be bigger and generally stiffer than Semogues.

The 1250 is a very soft (floppy?) Semogue that contains their "Best" boar fibers and has a higher loft.

If I had to guess, you probably just like soft, but still firm and scrubby brushes, and that the 1250 will just never suit your tastes and preferences. You would try a Semogue 1520 or 620 with stiffer fibers and a lower loft if you want to continue to explore Semogue boars.

0 386
 05-09-2014, 05:41 AM
User Info
Love my 620 and my BC Mistura, but I wouldn't keep a brush that didn't perform to my expectations. There are too many good alternatives out there. Cool

39 3,880
 05-10-2014, 04:08 AM
User Info
(05-08-2014, 01:04 PM)minimalist Wrote: I have owned a handful of boars over the last 8 years..Semogue, Omega, and vintage...my sole brush in my den is a vintage Boar until my Thater arrives. I had brief love affairs with Semogue and Omega brushes but never a lasting love. Use what you like!

I've had the same experience with boars, Omega and Semogue, and even recently purchased a 1305 to try and re-commit to bore love, but I'm just not feeling it - something about the generally unkempt look of a bore loft after break-in reminds me of a woman that smokes too much and/or goes to bed after a long day with her makeup still on...

0 14
 05-10-2014, 05:01 AM
User Info
I've had a 1305 620 & 610 none of them worked for me but omega boars do. I do like my SOC 2 band though one of my favourite badgers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 126