05-08-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
I did a search but could not find any thing about Hans Baier brushes.

Not a collector and I certainly don't have a large brush collection by SN standards, but looking to add a nice German brush to my Thater and Shavemac. Came across the Hans Baier brushes and learned precious little. Lower end brushes have a problem with hair coming out according to many reports. Can't really find any reliable reports about their higher end.

Wondering if any one here has owned one or perhaps you can steer me in a new direction for another German brush?

6 358
 05-09-2014, 04:53 AM
User Info
zwickmeister.com

[Image: thumb_53281.JPG]

6 358
 03-12-2017, 08:04 PM
User Info
Anyone have one of these?

I am liking the handles but don't see any recent reviews anywhere.

7 1,311
 03-13-2017, 10:30 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-12-2017, 08:04 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Anyone have one of these?

I am liking the handles but don't see any recent reviews anywhere.

I have owned a few (surprise, surprise) and found them to be excellent quality, as most German brushes are.  There are a few different "grades" of silvertip in their lineup and the top tier is very soft tipped with light-medium backbone.  I wouldn't call it a game changer, but a nice quality brush, especially for the price.

[Image: 52TwKBq.jpg]

This was a photo when my haul came in from a fine German retailer.   The Hans Baier on the right along with the Dr. Dittmars (three on the left).

139 2,676
 03-13-2017, 10:56 AM
User Info
Tell me about the Dr. Ditmar too please. 

I've seen your picture of one of them before. Is it a private label brand made by another maker?

The hesitation I have with the Handle Baier is related to what you are saying about more than one grade of silvertip. That and I'm not in love with the loft I see in the ones that I like the handles of.

I suppose if I really want to know I'll have to get one...

7 1,311
 03-13-2017, 02:18 PM
User Info
I would also like to know more about your Dr. Dittmar brush.  I have been using their soap for years and I am lucky that I purchased refills.  On the brush, where did you get it, its quality and performance please,

0 235
 03-13-2017, 07:22 PM
User Info
I first came across the Dr. Dittmar on eBay, and I've been impressed with the ones I've purchased. I haven't given them a ton of use, maybe only 3-4 uses each so far, but impressed with the quality and performance.

21 607
 03-14-2017, 01:49 AM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 07:22 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: I first came across the Dr. Dittmar on eBay, and I've been impressed with the ones I've purchased. I haven't given them a ton of use, maybe only 3-4 uses each so far, but impressed with the quality and performance.
[Image: 734bedfb95c9b3d189bbf5642a6e5f5f.jpg]

All Dr. Dittmar brushes. The silvertip a have some of the roughest feeling tips after wetted and dried. The 2-bands are decently soft. All have a moderate density. Not not dense, but not floppy, either. I'd have to say I find the little shortie to perform the best overall. Nothing Earth shattering, but it adds variety to my collection, and I personally enjoy having a bit of everything, or at least giving it a try.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

21 607
 03-14-2017, 08:46 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Most of the German brushes seem to be easily found on eBay at prices similar or lower than when I acquired mine originally.  I purchased my Hans Baiers brushes from Zamberg.com (though it looks like they now mainly sell Erbe and Vie-Long) and the Dr. Dittmars came direct from Germany via rasur-online.de (their English is as bad as my German, but we managed to work things out).  The top line of Silvertip brushes for both Hans Baier and Dr. Dittmar are very softly tipped with medium density and backbone.  The two-band silvertip from Dr. Dittmar isn't as silky soft as many but not irritating either.  My favorite brush was the Dr. Dittmar/ Morris & Forndran collaboration brush in camel bone (second from the right in my original picture) which has very soft tips, moderate backbone and slightly denser than the other Dr. Dittmars and is the only one out of the several that I kept.  I did not care for the 2nd tier Silvertip (Dachs Silberspitzen-Zupfhaar), which I would compare to other brand's Best or Finest knots which can be a little scratchy and prickly in use.

139 2,676
 03-14-2017, 11:51 AM
User Info
As I felt compelled to look at the websites described in the post above, it struck me that I've got it bad when I can translate "shaving soap" and "shaving brush" into about 6 different languages that I do not know just from looking at websites.  As well as having a working knowledge of the exchange rate of the dollar into euros or GBP.

2 81