05-08-2014, 09:22 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
... of what a bad shave looks like for me.

[Image: 7yga5y3y.jpg]

Blotchy skin. Irritation everywhere. Cuts everywhere.
I didn't even know this was going on during the shave this morning, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

57 2,545
 05-08-2014, 10:35 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Do you use an alum block? I do. I find them soothing, others find the opposite. Might be worth a go, although you, too, might have the opposite problem.

Why do you think the shave was so bad? Too much pressure on the razor? Too much swivel action in the wrist?

What set up did you use?

0 1,732
 05-08-2014, 11:27 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-08-2014, 10:35 PM)Shaun Wrote: Do you use an alum block? I do. I find them soothing, others find the opposite. Might be worth a go, although you, too, might have the opposite problem.

Why do you think the shave was so bad? Too much pressure on the razor? Too much swivel action in the wrist?

What set up did you use?

Hi Shaun,
Well I am using a relatively new razor (Merkur 39C) for the third time… might be that. Plus, I have the 37C which is practically the same thing, and I think I like my Futur much better. So maybe I don't like my Slants any more.
As far as other variables, today I used the same blades I use 98% of the time… so it's not that.
It was the third shave on that particular blade, however I almost always get three good shaves, sometimes four… so it shouldn't be that, but could be.
Used my Valobra Patchouly puck… so it shouldn't be that.

Maybe soon I will do the same setup with my Futur. Wait for the blade to be on shave 3 and pull out the Valobra Patchouly.

Like I said, though, my shave seemed pretty comfortable during the shave… but afterward it was itchy, and looked like this.

EDIT:
Now that I think of it, my shaves with the same razor (39C) yesterday and the day before ended up quite well… so it shouldn't be that, either.
But my blade had less usage, of course… and I was using different products (old SMN and AoS Sandalwood cream).

57 2,545
 05-09-2014, 04:10 AM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
That picture could have been me the first time using an OC. Most times it's a hit, sometimes a miss

19 726
 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM
User Info
Matt, just a thought but the 39C is quite a heavy razor. I used one 3 or 4 years back but soon sold it as I was finding it difficult to judge the right pressure, especially on S TO N passes. I was overcompensating for the weight and received irritation.

31 5,279
 05-09-2014, 06:50 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Sorry to hear that you had a poor shave. We all have bad days don't we?

I would hazard a guess that pressure/weight was too much in some areas - esp given the pronounced redness along & right under the jawline.

Perhaps give it another go while treading gingerly? If it was me - I'd keep at it with the 39c while changing nothing else - same blade/soap/brush.

17 535
 05-09-2014, 12:33 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-09-2014, 06:39 AM)Optometrist Wrote: Matt, just a thought but the 39C is quite a heavy razor. I used one 3 or 4 years back but soon sold it as I was finding it difficult to judge the right pressure, especially on S TO N passes. I was overcompensating for the weight and received irritation.

I agree that the 39C is a hefty razor, but so is my Merkur Futur which is what I learned on… in a sense, the 39C is pretty much a blend of the other two razors I already own and use (Futur and 37C).
I wonder if this was all about my prep yesterday… though I did not intentionally do less.
Today, I used the same blade (now the 4th and last time that I would attempt) and same razor (39C). Only thing materially different was that I used a different product today, and the result was considerably better… even though I was dealing with yesterday's damage. One little nick (which I account from operator error and/or because the 4th usage of the blade), no new irritation, skin is much more hydrated and comfortable (no tightness nor that halo-effect itch/burn/etc.).

Anyway want to venture a guess on which product I used today?

57 2,545
 05-09-2014, 04:16 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
It may have been an issue of how you were holding the Sledgehammer slant. With the longer handle, if you were holding it at the bottom, your angle might have been off a bit.

0 1,137
 05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-09-2014, 04:16 PM)Elendil Wrote: It may have been an issue of how you were holding the Sledgehammer slant. With the longer handle, if you were holding it at the bottom, your angle might have been off a bit.

Could be... I'll keep an eye on the angle and where I'm holding. Shaves 1, 2, and 4 with the razor were just fine. Shave 3 was the bad one yesterday.
Keeps ya on your toes!

(05-08-2014, 10:35 PM)Shaun Wrote: Do you use an alum block? I do. I find them soothing, others find the opposite. Might be worth a go, although you, too, might have the opposite problem.

What set up did you use?

Shaun, I forgot to mention:
Unfortunately alum makes me itch like crazy.
My alum block is likely the only Art of Shaving product I won't be buying again, haha.

57 2,545
 05-10-2014, 09:38 AM
User Info
(05-09-2014, 12:33 PM)Nero Wrote: Anyway want to venture a guess on which product I used today?

I reckon it was Penhaligon's Sartorial soap, MattBiggrin

31 5,279
 05-10-2014, 10:01 AM
  • Nero
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-10-2014, 09:38 AM)Optometrist Wrote: I reckon it was Penhaligon's Sartorial soap, MattBiggrin

Definitely not, haha!
Nor the BB cream.

Repairs done courtesy of XPEC, two days in a row, no issues. No surprise.

57 2,545