05-09-2014, 08:33 AM
User Info
While a well selected, well packed travel shave kit will - normally - allow me to shave on the Go... you still need a suitable place to do the actual shave. A tad of water, decent light and not being stressed out is all I ask for... honestly.

I have pondered solutions to this issue...

- An electric sounds like an option, until you realize you don't always have the option to plug it in or recharge.
- Dry shave! Did that once or twice, back when I was still using carts. Results in many, many bumps, nicks and swears.
- Hammer the stubble in and bite them off on the inside - or maybe not, come to think about it.
- Let the whiskers grow... as much as it galls me.

Shaving on the Go helps normalize the situation a bit for me... but it seems like there will be times I can't do that.

Yes, I'm a little annoyed. It was a busy, stressful week and I only got to shave on Monday (at home) and Friday (in an airport lounge restroom).

3 7,418
 05-09-2014, 09:14 AM
User Info
My solution is to shave in the shower by feel. It only takes a minute or so. That way I can always shave if I'm showering. And I'm not typically so "on the go" that I'm not showering each day somewhere.

0 303
 05-09-2014, 09:31 AM
User Info
Lets just say I'm sometimes on a different kind of Go... a dry, warm spot to unroll my sleeping bag is considered a bonus at times, not a certainty - as is showers. First time I've been unable to find somewhere for a shave though.

3 7,418
 05-09-2014, 09:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Hans, here you go my friend.

The Philips Norelco PQ208/17 Travel Razor

It operates on two AA batteries.

189 26,325
 05-09-2014, 09:49 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-09-2014, 09:33 AM)Johnny Wrote: Hans, here you go my friend.

The Philips Norelco PQ208/17 Travel Razor

It operates on two AA batteries.

Hans, for your unique situation I think Johnny's find just might do the trick. It's not as if this will be the end all and be all for you but it is certainly better than nothing.

2 5,000
 05-09-2014, 05:52 PM
User Info
Hans, best of luck to you and Johnny's solution might work well for you, but I don't envy you.
You could always try a very sharp pocket knife if you are desperate. Biggrin

92 21,368
 05-09-2014, 11:42 PM
User Info
Johnny's suggestion - which I'm going to look into more, thank you Johnny - would let me shave, but not Shave with a capital S. I'll look a little more like an officer, but it wont help me calm down.

Shaving - capital S - is more than just grooming... it's meditation and mental hygiene as well.

3 7,418
 05-10-2014, 08:21 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-09-2014, 11:42 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Johnny's suggestion - which I'm going to look into more, thank you Johnny - would let me shave, but not Shave with a capital S. I'll look a little more like an officer, but it wont help me calm down.

Shaving - capital S - is more than just grooming... it's meditation and mental hygiene as well.

You're absolutely right, Hans. Unfortunately, sometimes... Sad

2 5,000
 05-10-2014, 08:27 PM
User Info
The Panasonic electric I used for the last several years performed excellently and provided me over two weeks' use on a single charge.

I'd personally just let the whiskers grow and look forward to the awesome shave when you're able.

3 202
 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
Saw an episode of Ray Mears in the African bush . He shaved with a tiny brush, shaving soap and cartridge razor all the while saying how much he enjoyed a refreshing shave and how it was almost like a shower or bath.

He didn't appear to use a lot of water to shave with and that might be the key, using a cup or bowl of water and shaving effectively and enjoyably with it.

15 549