05-09-2014, 06:52 PM
User Info
O.K. we now have a Cartridge forum, we should have a Cartridge SOTD. Since many of us use cartridges on occasion (some on more occasion than others) collecting all the SOTDs using cartridge razors in each month would be a good way to show off that side of shaving as well. So starting for shaves from 10 May through 31 May place your CSOTD shave descriptions and / or photos here. This does not take the place of the regular SOTD but supplements it.

I will start off with tomorrow's planned shave which will be on 10 May.

[Image: Bq1CXaP.jpg]

I look forward to your entries.
I like your idea here Gary. I will give this a sticky and unstick it at the end of the month, then we can do a June CSOTD. How's that?
(05-09-2014, 07:30 PM)Johnny Wrote: I like your idea here Gary. I will give this a sticky and unstick it at the end of the month, then we can do a June CSOTD. How's that?

Excellent.
I'm happy to see this happen!! I'm looking forward to posting tomorrow. Aces!
Day 1 of my 6 day test Gillette Power Vs Schick Power

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Prep: Warm Water Wash
Razor: Gillette Fusion Proglide Power
Blade: Gillette Proglide Power
Brush: Muhle L 23mm Synthetic
Soap: WSO Bill the Barber
Scuttle: N/A-Face Lather

[Image: B0MyXi0.jpg]
I love that you include the razor holder Johnny, a nice touch to an already great photo. Aces!
Don,t have any pictures but I used the new Flexball Fusion and it is really quite good...quite cool to turn and flex...no complaints...picked it up at Art of shaving on line and even got a gym bag and free shipping...first time in a while I used the Fusion for the whole shave...I just usually use it for the neck and cheek ATG..definitely keeping it.
Wilkinson Sword Tech-3
Semogue 1305
Proraso Red SC
Aqua Velva Ice Sport/Witch Hazel Aftershave, 50/50 mix

Clayton
Tomorrow's Planned Shave ... Mother's Day 2014

[Image: BQ5IiJW.jpg]

Saturday Night:

Razor: Feather MR3 handle
Blade: Feather Neo FII twin-blade cartridge

Brush: None
Soap: Oliveology ShaveGel

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and AoS Ocean Kelp ASL

I decided to manage blade angle myself tonight and I locked the pivot on the cartridge (i.e. No pivot). Though I had thought I would have more difficulty "reading" the proper angle with the low pivot, that turned out not to be the case and I liked it better "locked" than "free."

I'm getting used to this cartridge set-up, though I prefer it without lather, using instead the very thin Oliveology gel. These blades are Feather sharp, but the cartridge itself is very mild. I can't use a Feather DE blade without problems, but these Feather cartridges work very well for me.

- Murray
SOTD 11.05.2014 08.00 AM Eastern European Time

[Image: 3PeqVgZ.jpg]

Razor: Gillette Mach 3 Edwin Jagger custom handle
Blade: Gillette Mach 3
Brush: Muhle 23mm Synthetic
Soap: DR Harris Arlington
Day 2 of my 6 day test Gillette Power Vs Schick Power

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Razor: Schick Hydro 5 Power
Blade: Schick Hydro 5
Brush: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Synthetic
Soap: WSO White Lightning

[Image: Xz6bwhi.jpg]
Sunday, May 11, 2014

Gillette Sensor handle
Gillette Sensor cartridge (1)
lather-up with Barbasol Sensitive - shave,
Finish with water, Witch Hazel
and Skin Bracer for a DFS!

[Image: 1emeYig.jpg]
Tomorrow's planned shave (5-12-2014)

[Image: 0sdacGt.jpg]

Day 3 of my 6 day test Gillette Power Vs Schick Power

Monday, May 12, 2014

Razor: Gillette Fusion Proglide Power

[Image: uUMYct3.jpg]
Monday, 12.05.2014

[Image: SOTD12052014_zps7560d70f.jpg]

:: Pre-shave: Maggard Razors “Grapefruit” Pre Shave Oil
:: Brush: Omega 20102
:: Soap: Panna Crema Lavandotto
:: Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel
:: Blade: Sensor Excel 2
:: Post: Clinique Post-shave healer

I like this new section a lot.Blush Thank you Johny.
Tonight's shave:

Weleda Shave Cream
Mühle Silvertip Fibre brush
Feather FII Neo razor and blade
Weleda ASB

I'm always a little concerned when I try a cartridge 'system'. Partly that I'll think that it's rubbish but mostly that I'll find, to my surprise, that it isn't. The last one I sampled was the Wilkinson Sword Hydro 3 and I was relieved to find that I hated it, it really didn't work for me. The Feather FII Neo is a different experience, it gives a very smooth, comfortable and close shave. It's early days yet as I've only used it once but I'm seriously impressed. More so than any cartridge razor I've ever used.
[Image: aSHIV9J.jpg]

Harry's / Cremo / Clubman Balm

I wanted to expand on this as I was very busy when I posted it. I kind of went away from the traditional shave altogether with the brushless cream and all. The earlier assessment made by slantman was spot on re the Harrys Razor (excellent,accurate assessment IMO). Its best performance is with an against the grain pass by far. Even with extensive pressure it does not IMO , adequately shave with the grain. It has a unique cushion or pivot system as the blades are mounted in what is a firm rubber and the entire head of the cart flexes. Interesting concept that again seems to work well against the grain but not with it. This also allows the blades to flex across their length as well. Again interesting concept that allows one to apply significant pressure around the chin area without fear of a cut or nick. I noticed however very quickly the blades take a set and curve inward (after just this one use in fact) that means more pressure must be applied to hold then flush to the face.
My shave could have been better also had I gone with other software options. The cremo is slick as all get out but has nothing in the way of cushion and I felt little in the way of conditioning. Also the Clubman Balm is a unique and rarely seen vintage ( i guess although it hurts saying so as its prob 70's or 80's and referring to it as vintage makes me feel old! lol) product that I picked up, It is better served as a cream than an aftershave IMO. It is too greasy and leaves a greasy feel to the skin that does not go away. I ended up washing my face an hour and half post shave and applying another product.
What I would like to do at another point is use this razor with different software. I think the end result could be improved upon. I should say even with all I said above I did manage a smooth shave for sure. It however was not even or consistent across my face. The areas lacking are those i could not fully do against the grain passes on like above the lip and under the nostrils etc.
Day 4 of my 6 day test Gillette Power Vs Schick Power

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

[Image: mWXah6e.jpg]
Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power handle
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Manual Cartridge (9)

[Image: lXqLWl0.jpg]
I just do not get it. The MAP for the Musgo Real aftershave is $38.00, the wholesale price is around $18.00 (plus shipping) and these chumps are selling it for $9.90. <sigh>.
(05-12-2014, 08:59 PM)W.S.O. Wrote:

I wanted to expand on this as I was very busy when I posted it. I kind of went away from the traditional shave altogether with the brushless cream and all. The earlier assessment made by slantman was spot on re the Harrys Razor (excellent,accurate assessment IMO). Its best performance is with an against the grain pass by far. Even with extensive pressure it does not IMO , adequately shave with the grain. It has a unique cushion or pivot system as the blades are mounted in what is a firm rubber and the entire head of the cart flexes. Interesting concept that again seems to work well against the grain but not with it. This also allows the blades to flex across their length as well. Again interesting concept that allows one to apply significant pressure around the chin area without fear of a cut or nick. I noticed however very quickly the blades take a set and curve inward (after just this one use in fact) that means more pressure must be applied to hold then flush to the face.
My shave could have been better also had I gone with other software options. The cremo is slick as all get out but has nothing in the way of cushion and I felt little in the way of conditioning. Also the Clubman Balm is a unique and rarely seen vintage ( i guess although it hurts saying so as its prob 70's or 80's and referring to it as vintage makes me feel old! lol) product that I picked up, It is better served as a cream than an aftershave IMO. It is too greasy and leaves a greasy feel to the skin that does not go away. I ended up washing my face an hour and half post shave and applying another product.
What I would like to do at another point is use this razor with different software. I think the end result could be improved upon. I should say even with all I said above I did manage a smooth shave for sure. It however was not even or consistent across my face. The areas lacking are those i could not fully do against the grain passes on like above the lip and under the nostrils etc.

Thanks for the detailed report. Aces!
Day 5 of my 6 day test Gillette Power Vs Schick Power

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Razor: Gillette Fusion Proglide Silver Touch Power
Brush: Muhle XL 25mm Synthetic

[Image: fd20QIL.jpg]
Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Gillette Deluxe Trac II Razor,
(mid 70's) Gillette Trac II Cartridge (1),

[Image: gYQnQUt.jpg]
Beautiful Deluxe. I really like mine, and with all the talk lately about the Feather, it's nice to be reminded of the grand-daddy of them all.
(05-14-2014, 08:30 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: Beautiful Deluxe. I really like mine, and with all the talk lately about the Feather, it's nice to be reminded of the grand-daddy of them all.

Thank you! My wife bought this vintage beauty for me. It came with the case and a full set of vintage blades. Aces!
Wednesday, 14.05.2014

[Image: SOTD140514_zps6d4a1593.jpg]

:: Pre-shave: Maggard Razors “Grapefruit” Pre Shave Oil
:: Brush: Semogue 1550
:: Cream: Top Secret
:: Razor: Gillette Sensor Excel
:: Blade: Sensor Excel 2
:: Post: Tüff herb
Day 6 of my 6 day test Gillette Power Vs Schick Power

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Brush: Edwin Jagger 19mm Synthetic

[Image: ulJczs4.jpg]
Vie Long, Klar Kabinett
Feather FII neo handle and blade on it's 3rd run
[Image: r1E5iKV.jpg]
(05-13-2014, 11:48 AM)Leo K. Wrote:
(05-12-2014, 08:59 PM)W.S.O. Wrote:

Thanks for the detailed report. Aces!
Yes atg seems the only way to use this setup but atg works above the lip. Great evaluation of this razor.
Mühle Silvertip Fibre
Nanny Vanilla Cream & Goat milk
Feather FII Neo handle and blade (2)
Thayers Witch Hazel & Aloe toner

Close (enough) and comfortable.
Friday, May 16, 2014

Razor: Bolin Webb
Blade: Mach 3 Turbo

[Image: 2Rxnpyj.jpg]
Friday, May 16, 2014

Gillette Deluxe Trac II Razor,
(mid 70's) Gillette Trac II Cartridge (2),

[Image: 0lY4twv.jpg]
Saturday, May 17, 2014

Razor: Feather MR3
Blade: Feather FII Neo
Brush: Muhle XL 23mm Synthetic

[Image: KrDd2pv.jpg]
Saturday, 17.05.2014

[Image: LGknMFr.jpg]

:: Brush: Omega 621 silvertip
:: Catie's Bubbles "Le Piment de la Vie"
:: Razor: Gillette Contour Elite Razor
:: Blade: Gillette Contour
:: Post: Clinique Post-shave healer
bleddyn, that is a sharp looking razor.
(05-17-2014, 01:37 PM)Johnny Wrote: bleddyn, that is a sharp looking razor.

Thank you for your kind words.Smile
I bought it in NOS condition, and i like it very much.
[Image: Contour_zps6e23c226.jpg]
Sunday, May 18, 2014

Razor: Feather MR3
Blade: Feather FII Neo

[Image: 8vx7wY9.jpg]

1 2,827
 05-10-2014, 04:40 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Let's see those shaves!

Happy Mother's Day ... Smile

102 18,652
 05-10-2014, 04:45 PM
User Info
Tomorrow's Planned Shave ... Mother's Day 2014

[Image: 13967329288_b39d7c398e_b.jpg]

1 2,827
 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM
User Info
Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Dr. Harris Marlborough
Brush: Simpson The Duke D3 Briar in Manchurian
Razor: Thiers Issard Spartacus 6/8
Moustache Razor : The Mab Dwarf Razor
AS: Dr. Harris Marlborough

[Image: image.php?album_id=4&image_id=13659]

[Image: image.php?album_id=4&image_id=13660]

4 484
 05-10-2014, 07:38 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
5-11-14

Myrsol Emulsion
Simpson Milk Churn
Wickham Soap Co. Southsea Beach
Cobra Classic
Kai Captain Titan Mild
Fine Italian Citrus

[Image: xM09egv.jpg]

102 18,652
 05-10-2014, 08:46 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Saturday Night:

Razor: Feather MR3 handle
Blade: Feather Neo FII twin-blade cartridge

Brush: None
Soap: Oliveology ShaveGel

Aftershave: Cold water rinse and AoS Ocean Kelp ASL

I decided to manage blade angle myself tonight and I locked the pivot on the cartridge (i.e. No pivot). Though I had thought I would have more difficulty "reading" the proper angle with the low pivot, that turned out not to be the case and I liked it better "locked" than "free."

I'm getting used to this cartridge set-up, though I prefer it without lather, using instead the very thin Oliveology gel. These blades are Feather sharp, but the cartridge itself is very mild. I can't use a Feather DE blade without problems, but these Feather cartridges work very well for me.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-11-2014, 12:14 AM
User Info

JabonMan Vetiver Citricos - Morris & Forndran 2xl Finest - Fatip & UFO Kaiser Short & Derby - Etro Vetiver ASL & Edt
[Image: 18248961fj.jpg]

17 908
 05-11-2014, 12:51 AM
User Info
Merkur 1904(42)
Polsilver Super Iridium
Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian
Wickham Soap Company Southsea Beach
Pitralon Pure

[Image: utf-8BSU1BRzE5MjZfMi5qcGc_zpsace34604.jpg]

31 5,293
 05-11-2014, 01:32 AM
  • SLB04
  • Schalksmühle
User Info
This morning:

- Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil Soap
- Myrsol Emulsión
- Nanny Silly Hard Shaving Soap Cedarwood & Vetyver
- Omega Professional 20102
- Cobra Classic Razor with KAI Captain Blade (1)
- Tüff sensitiv Rasierwasser
- Simpsons Aftershave Balm
- Guerlain Vetiver EdT

[Image: 18249729yx.jpg]

1 375
 05-11-2014, 01:46 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
[Image: 12-May-2014_zps176fe999.jpg]

Prep - None
Soap - RR King of the Castle lime
Brush - Simpsons Chubby2 synthetic
Razor - Muhle R41/Feather
Post - Alum block
AS - Aqua Velva Ice Blue

Cold water face lathered shave.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-11-2014, 02:24 AM
User Info
11-5-2014

Water and soap :: Myrsol, antesol :: Simpson, P8 Phyl, 2013 TSN LE :: Mystic Water, Jeff's lavender :: Gillette toggle, astra (#5) :: Myrsol, agua balsámica :: Unrefined shea butter

[Image: foto+2.JPG]

1 396
 05-11-2014, 02:37 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, I celebrate in the shavers heaven.

Razor: Max Sprecher 8/8 in faux tortoise
Strop: Kanayama/Kanoyama 80000
Brush: Vie-Long silvertip
Pre-shave: Castle Forbes
Soap: Martin de Candre
Scuttle: Moss
Face lather
Alum
Witch hazel
Balm: Trumper Coral Skin Food
Cologne: Spanish Leather by Truefitt & Hill
[Image: xVHNMHl.jpg]

150 3,030
 05-11-2014, 02:42 AM
User Info
[Image: 14155591271_792b36c351_c.jpg]

Valobra Patchouli // Mastro Livi Horn // Briar Rustic Chubby // Aceto da Toilette SMN // Golfo del Tigullio Dopo Barba // Alt Innsbruck AS

8 1,683
 05-11-2014, 03:05 AM
User Info
[Image: P5110925.jpg]

11.v.2014

Floid Sandolor
Semogue Barbear Clássico Texugo #09
Le Pére Lucien
Merkur 34C
Gillette Azul Aço Inox
Dickinsons Original Witch Hazel
Mennen Green Tonic Après-Rasage
Granado Balm Pós-Barba

2 1,433
 05-11-2014, 03:20 AM
User Info
(05-11-2014, 12:51 AM)Optometrist Wrote:
Merkur 1904(42)
Polsilver Super Iridium
Simpson Chubby 3 Manchurian
Wickham Soap Company Southsea Beach
Pitralon Pure

Very nice, David. I'm loving the Wickham Soaps Shy

95 2,590
 05-11-2014, 03:23 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Sunday

Prep: Hot Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Bath Soap
Soap: TOBS Avocado Cream
Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
Blade: Gillette “Spoiler” Super Stainless Steel (7)
Brush: Chesterfield/Carrington w/Synthetic Gen 3.5-24mmx49mm
Aftershave: Osage Rub

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angle for my beard a bit)

The 7th shave with the 1971 “Spoiler” blade in the NEW SC was as good as the 1st! TOBS Avocodo cream is always a winner for performance and scent. I finished with Osage Rub for a final “Blast”.

Bob
[Image: SOTD5-11-14_zps912f6f45.jpg]

4 2,762
 05-11-2014, 03:28 AM
User Info
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: M&F Finest 1/3
Cream: Floris 89
ASB: l'occitane cade

[Image: FVfHf1L.jpg]e

1 167
 05-11-2014, 03:37 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
[Image: HZoKVWU.jpg]
Dad's 58 T.V. Special Super Speed
vintage Platinum Plus
Carrington Ever Ready 150 with TGN Best
Latoja cream

7 2,327
 05-11-2014, 03:44 AM
User Info
Sunday, May 11, 2014

Pre-shave: Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg Shave Oil
Razor: Shave Craft 101
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Brush: Simfix Grosvenor LE Two Band
Soap: Valobra “Patchouly” Hard Soap
A/S: Dickinson's Witch Hazel/G.F. Trumper's Marlborough splash (vintage)

0 1,935
 05-11-2014, 04:00 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
Sunday: Our last day of vacation - home we go tomorrow.

Neutrogena Men Facial Wash
Large Horsehair Barbershop
Super Speed/Sharp day 7
Stirling Glacial Obsidian SS
Anherb AS Conditioner
Alcolado Glacial Menthol Splash

This set-up is so fantastic that I think I'll use it or at least part of it for tomorrow, being Menthol Monday. The Glacial Obsidian soap has everything I love - a great scent, (I love the smell of black licorice!) rich and stable lather, and in addition to its menthol power which can just about knock you down it has such fantastic skincare. Rod really put a lot of work into this soap and I believe it definitely paid off. The Anherb conditioner and the Penguin did an awesome job of soothing and freezing my face even more. I wanted this shave to be an extra-frigid one because it is HOT here in Guadeloupe. I'll go eat something and since it's still early I'll read a newspaper down by the pool and when Madame is ready, we'll go to the beach for the last time.

3 2,635