05-10-2014, 03:35 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I don't have a single Gillette razor and neither do I have a TTO of any make. I am hoping to eventually remedy this oversight and it is the Red Tip that has me curious.

I know it is supposed to be the most aggressive razor in the Superspeed series but I was hoping to get a point of reference. I hear the other two variants are fairly mild but I also read that blade gap on the ubiquitous EJ/Mühle 89 is greater than that of the Red Tip.
Do folks here find that it is more aggressive vs a Merkur 34 or an EJ 89?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 05-10-2014, 03:48 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I find the Merkur a little more aggressive. Having said that, my Red Tip is British, and is a Superspeed, not a Rocket. I don't know how it would compare with a US Red Tip.

0 1,846
 05-10-2014, 04:13 AM
User Info
IMO, everyone should try a Red Tip at least once.

I agree with Shaun that the Red Tip is slightly less aggressive than Merkur 34. It's been to long since I've shaved with an EJ 89 for me to offer an opinion, but I will say that I can get a good shave with a Red Tip, but never could with an EJ 89.

The good news is that if you buy a Red Tip and don't like it, you will be able to sell it very quickly on BST.

3 460
 05-10-2014, 05:32 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
This is most helpful. Time to be patient and hunt one down.

2 286
 05-10-2014, 05:41 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
The British Red Tip is apparently very rare; I have chanced upon them only, never through eBay. You'd more likely pick up a US version, but I understand they provide a great shave.

0 1,846
 05-10-2014, 06:29 AM
User Info
Not to mention, but they simply are cool looking razors!

3 460
 05-10-2014, 02:25 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
This should serve as a motivator to those of us with long-unused Red Tips to get them out and give them another whirl. I haven't used mine for years, but this makes me curious to see how it would strike me now. I'm guessing that it would give a similar shave to an Aristocrat, but I will need to try that out too for my own information.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-10-2014, 02:34 PM
User Info
And I just sold an English Red Tip Superspeed too! It seems that I can get a very good shave from a Gillette #58 or Rocket HD, a usually excellent one from an EJ but not so good from a Red Tip. Mr YMMV today, so I am....Blush

But I still love piggies! Piggy_214

1 253
 05-11-2014, 03:51 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I have two '56 Red Tips and get great close three pass shaves from them. I also have two '56 ( birth year) Blue Tips and with sharp blades and an extra pass get great close shaves from them as well. They are all smooth as silk.

7 2,359
 05-11-2014, 07:23 AM
User Info
They are not very aggressive. The head geometry is very similar to that of a Fatboy, as is the handle girth. The knurling on the handle is, IMO, superior to that of the Fatboy.

The gap is only slightly larger than a flare-tip SS; the "aggressiveness" was related to the slightly larger gap and the increased weight.

To me it shaves about like a Fatboy on 4 or 5, but not quite as smoothly. For that reason, I sold mine and kept the Fatboy. YMMV.

2 1,552
 05-14-2014, 07:25 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I've not found a Red Tip yet, but I did bag a flare tip from BST here. It'll be a few weeks before it gets to me but I really look forward to seeing what made the Super Speed the iconic Gillette of the 1950s.

2 286
 05-14-2014, 07:58 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
(05-14-2014, 07:25 AM)Karlo Wrote: I've not found a Red Tip yet, but I did bag a flare tip from BST here. It'll be a few weeks before it gets to me but I really look forward to seeing what made the Super Speed the iconic Gillette of the 1950s.

I would also suggest the 1940s model. (1947-1953 I think)
They are my favorite Super Speeds. Definitely more efficient than the flare tips.

0 912
 05-14-2014, 11:42 PM
User Info
I've shaved back-to-back with my Merkur 34C and a 57 Red Tip a few times. The Merkur seems a bit more aggressive, although that could be due to the slightly higher weight of the Merkur.

0 18
 05-26-2014, 01:07 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Finally found one!

It'll take several weeks to get here (I had it shipped straight to a replater) but am very excited!

2 286
 05-28-2014, 03:58 AM
  • Mouser
User Info
Now, I'm just cipherin' here, but based on some Time articles from the 60's that I read, Gillette decided not to make stainless blades even tho they had the patent, because they figured the market would prefer the sharper carbon blade for fewer uses than go for the longevity of stainless. Until Wilkinson proved them wrong. So if carbon blades were sharper, and Red Tips were made for carbon blades, then that would explain them being less aggressive. If they are. And I find that Gillette Fat Handled Techs from the 40's and all Gillettes from the 50's to be excellent, smooth shavers.

7 2,359
 05-29-2014, 05:48 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I've read a lot of posts where Red Tip users like pairing it with a sharp blade - Feather, GSB, Polsilver, etc. I'll be sure to test that recommendation as I have and use GSB a lot.

2 286
 05-29-2014, 06:14 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
...I find that Gillette Fat Handled Techs from the 40's and all Gillettes from the 50's to be excellent, smooth shavers.
[/quote]

Agreed re the Fat Handles, and especially the English variety. Heftier. Closer shave than the fabled 'D' hole models. My favourite, though, in that range is the British Service Set, one with a very very similar base plate to the English Fat Handle tech but which is a little different. It has a different handle and the oblong holes are broader/wider; these models give a slightly more aggressive shave than even the standard English Fat Handle tech. I am always on the look out for another one or three. Seems they are rare.

From Achim's site: Also note the stamp on the base plate is on the lower, not the upper half:

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/19...ngland.JPG

0 1,846
 05-30-2014, 03:59 AM
User Info
I had a Red Tip and sold it. I have always missed the heft and blade angle of this razor. Fortunately, digitaldome/Paul posted a Red Tip on BST and I was able to make the purchase. It is a beautiful razor in very nice condition. Paul shipped the day of the sale and the razor is on its way. Paul is/was great to deal with. Smile

22 764
 05-30-2014, 01:43 PM
  • Mouser
User Info
(05-30-2014, 03:59 AM)LookingGlass Wrote: I had a Red Tip and sold it. I have always missed the heft and blade angle of this razor. Fortunately, digitaldome/Paul posted a Red Tip on BST and I was able to make the purchase. It is a beautiful razor in very nice condition. Paul shipped the day of the sale and the razor is on its way. Paul is/was great to deal with. Smile
Congrats! Happy shaving! I have two B1s one in very good shape, the other in mint. Something about vintage razors, I have no desire for a new one.

7 2,359
 05-30-2014, 03:08 PM
User Info
(05-30-2014, 01:43 PM)Mouser Wrote:
(05-30-2014, 03:59 AM)LookingGlass Wrote: I had a Red Tip and sold it. I have always missed the heft and blade angle of this razor. Fortunately, digitaldome/Paul posted a Red Tip on BST and I was able to make the purchase. It is a beautiful razor in very nice condition. Paul shipped the day of the sale and the razor is on its way. Paul is/was great to deal with. Smile
Congrats! Happy shaving! I have two B1s one in very good shape, the other in mint. Something about vintage razors, I have no desire for a new one.
Thanks. I too am a vintage user. I sold my Merkur, Muhle, EJ,and Parker razors in favor of the old Gillettes except for one lone Schick Krona. Love the oldies.

22 764