05-10-2014, 08:40 PM
User Info
While I'm not in love with my 1250, I just can't make myself remove the knot just to use the handle for a Silvertip. I noticed that Semogue has the same or similar handles on some badger brushes for a decent price.

Does anyone have experience with these brushes? How do they perform? How do they feel? I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better off just biting the bullet and getting a Simpsons or something similar?

21 555
 05-11-2014, 12:58 AM
User Info
I've only tried their LE offerings. The 2010LE silvertip (I think it was 2010, it was like their first LE badger brush), was nice enough, but not really exceptional in any way. The BC Texugo is a bit better of an all-around brush... demonstrates a bit better design and hair quality vs most other <$100 two bands, but feels it falls a bit short in the density to make it a really special brush. It's not floppy at all, in fact it has good backbone; but it doesn't have the character of a really aggressive two band, which I look for. Their badgers remind me a lot of Vie Longs badgers. Very good quality hair, well put together, but they seem to take the middle ground and not really do anything to stand out.

That said, since you're asking about their badger knots in general? They're nice. Their hair quality is very good, and from the small sample I've had, the sorting and shaping is on par with other high end makers. Their brush design for badgers just seems to me to lack the inspiration of their boar and mixed hair offerings, either that or they are compromising to keep their brushes in the ~$100 or less realm, and I've been spoiled on $100+ brushes.

0 19
 05-11-2014, 04:59 PM
User Info
I have the 2010 (Pure), 2015 (Sivertip), 2020 (Best), Barbear Classico (Texugo SE), and 2013 SE (Finest). All are wonderful to me - nice knots, beautiful wooden handles. Dollar-for-dollar I believe they are the best value on the market. I sold off my Vulfix/Simpson/Vie Long badgers in favor of the Semogues. Leon at VintageScent has a great selection at reasonable prices.

22 764
 05-11-2014, 07:52 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I have the 2013 and it's soft while still having good backbone. It's the only Semogue Badger I have but I also have two of their boars - an SOC and a 620. If the 2013 was my only brush, I'd not be wanting for more.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 05-11-2014, 11:39 PM
User Info
I have the SOC finest. I like it a lot but it took sone time to break in. It was a bit scritchy at first, but it is great now.
It is a permanent member in my rotation.
The Duke 2 in best, Kent BK8 and others were sold.

Is it better than a well set TGN finest?
Maybe, different strokes. I do need to re-do my TGN finest restore which I liked just as well. I just don't have the time and time is money.
For the price (from the EU sellers) you get a well thought out brush with a high quality knot in a very nice handle.

6 860