05-11-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
I'm considering acquiring one of these. I liked the idea of an OSS as it would be unique in my rotation (34c, Weber, Joris, R89 head incoming).

However the consensus is that the OSS is quite mild and that, between the two, the deluxe OC is the way to go. Anything else I should consider @ less than $150?

33 548
 05-11-2014, 06:30 PM
User Info
I'm interested in this too, I hear lots of god about a particular ikon open comb but I'd like to know which particular one it is.

12 848
 05-11-2014, 07:23 PM
User Info
(05-11-2014, 06:30 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: I'm interested in this too, I hear lots of god about a particular ikon open comb but I'd like to know which particular one it is.

I expect it's the Deluxe Open Comb mentioned by the OP. There is only one on the iKon site. It is a traditional open comb razor - both sides are the same. The iKon Standard Head razor is the solid bar version of this. With these razors, the solid bar version is more aggressive, which is unusual. I finds it a touch too aggressive but I favor less aggressive razors like the Webers. The Deluxe OC is perfect for me. It is an outstanding razor.

28 407
 05-11-2014, 07:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The OSS is rather mild.

The Deluxe Open Comb (current model, satin finish) is moderate and the Standard is slightly more aggressive.

The Deluxe OC is more aggressive than your Weber and milder than your Joris.

The OSS, IMO is milder than all your existing razors.

99 18,011
 05-11-2014, 11:06 PM
User Info
(05-11-2014, 07:23 PM)scritchnscrub Wrote:
(05-11-2014, 06:30 PM)ShaneN. Wrote: I'm interested in this too, I hear lots of god about a particular ikon open comb but I'd like to know which particular one it is.

I expect it's the Deluxe Open Comb mentioned by the OP. There is only one on the iKon site.

Thank you, I think that's the one. I just looked and it appears it's sold already (was just window shopping anyways). I may just have to give one a try at some point though but I'm really not big on the satin. I used my NEW LC today for the first time since getting it months ago and it was a lot less aggressive then I was thinking. I'd venture to say the weber ph is more aggressive then the LC.

12 848
 05-12-2014, 07:04 AM
User Info
Thanks for the responses. When I started this search, I was really leaning towards the OSS, now I am thinking that I'll try to acquire a deluxe OC and/or possibly a Standard.

I'm not bound to an iKon and am curious if there are any other razors I should consider?

33 548
 05-12-2014, 09:47 AM
  • Gravy
  • England
User Info
What about a Gillette NEW LC or the Gillette NEW Deluxe (either version) the iKon was based on?

Both are very nice shavers on a heavy handle IMO.

0 12
 05-12-2014, 09:49 AM
User Info
The Deluxe OC is the better razor for me.

2 1,552
 05-13-2014, 02:22 PM
User Info
Any other thoughts? How do these two iKons compare to the Muhle R89?

33 548
 05-13-2014, 05:07 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
You can get an Above the Tie OC from Connaught at $148 - they're on sale now

19 753
 05-14-2014, 11:44 AM
User Info
Now it seems I'm debating the Atlas M2, iKon Standard and iKon Deluxe OC...

33 548
 05-14-2014, 12:50 PM
User Info
(05-13-2014, 02:22 PM)daverasi Wrote: Any other thoughts? How do these two iKons compare to the Muhle R89?

I like the iKon Deluxe OC much better than the Muhle R89. Hard to really compare the two, because they are so much different. For me the Muhle R89 is a shiny, beautiful chromed, very simple shaving machine with mild-to-moderate aggression that gets the job done pretty easily, but usually left me with some spots of irritation.

By comparison, the Deluxe OC is a well crafted, precision shaving machine that while being on the mild side in terms of aggression, provides an efficient shave very comfortably. The appearance is classy, because it is matte finished rather than shiny; preferences obviously vary, but to me it looks a lot better than the bright finish of the R89. Irritation is virtually non-existant. The razor angle has a narrower sweet spot than the Muhle because of a substantially smaller blade gap; I find that OC razors with small blade gaps reward good technique. Despite being an OC, it is appropriate for daily use.
My experience with the OSS is limited and remote in time, so I don't really feel like I can add anything of value except to say, as I did previously, that I found the Deluxe OC to be more suited to me.
I hope this is helpful.

2 1,552
 05-20-2014, 01:11 AM
User Info
I know I am a bit late to this thread but owning the OSS and SB heads and having owned the OC head I thought I could give my opinion. The OC I find a moderate shaver, similar to a Gillette new, quite a few people describe it as mild but I don't find it to be particularly mild. The OSS on the other hand is a mild shaver, the open comb side is mild and the closed comb side is very mild, I would say that the closed comb side is perhaps very slightly more aggressive than the Feather ASD1 head. The SB head is a beast, much more aggressive than either of the other 2 and takes off a lot of hair just in the first pass, I often switch to another razor for the last pass as this one is pretty aggressive

0 60
 06-30-2014, 02:40 AM
User Info
Would it be possible to have the Deluxe polished or chrome plated? I assume chrome wouldn't plate over it hey?

12 848
 06-30-2014, 08:51 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I don't see why not. There's a user here (or B&B) which has the Ikon and all 3 base plates, handle & top cap replated in "black chrome". Looks pretty nice.
I recently got the OC/SB base plates to go with my OSS and the metals are different colors so I can see the draw in having them all replated the same.

47 1,949
 07-29-2014, 05:07 AM
User Info
I'm thinking about getting a deluxe open comb but I'm worried it's not aggressive enough. I'm hoping for something quite efficient. Perhaps somewhere between my Weber PH and Fatip. I had a NEW LC that I wasn't overly fond of, but perhaps because the weight it didn't seem all that effective for me. I absolutely adore my Weber so I'd like something else in stainless to accompany it. I wish I would have grabbed the polished one Ben was selling the other week, I'm not overly fond of the mat finish.

For reference, currently I like my Weber, the progress around 3-4, slim adjustable at 8-9, merkur slant and cobra/feather combo.

Anyways, based on my above thinking out loud, would I enjoy this?

edit: perhaps I should just order the deluxe open comb razor off their site and then order the standard plate separately and have two new razors to try. It sounds like they both get good reviews. I wish I could get them both in all polished though, it seems like they went DLC on everything.

12 848
 08-07-2014, 02:56 AM
User Info
I recently purchased the 5 piece DLC coated set. It has the Bulldog handle, a DLC coated Top Plate, SB plate, Delux OC plate, and OSS plate.
After trying them all over the past few weeks, I found that the SB is too aggressive for me. Pain and shaving should not be experienced at the same time. The Delux OC head is really good. Especially after about two days of growth. The OSS OC side is great for everyday shaves. I use the SB side for touchups only.
I do not try for BBS shaves. I just dont have that kind of time. But the Delux OC and the OSS give a great single pass/with touch up shaves that look and fee great.
I dont know what I'm going to do with the SB plate.

Of course YMMV.

0 48
 10-08-2014, 05:19 AM
User Info
The iKon OC is a great razor. I admit that I prefer the OSS, but I like mild razors. The OC I have is their older style without the DLC, so I really don't know how the black coated head shaves. The plain metal stainless might be on sale at iKon's website. The razor parts are offered for sale separately sometimes.
Euro

5 395
 10-08-2014, 10:06 AM
User Info
I had the OSS and traded it for the OC. I really liked how the OSS shaved, but I flip the razor frequently when I shave before rinsing it. The OSS didn't really work for this.

2 89