05-12-2014, 07:58 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
All this recent talk of Cart Razors brought me back. I have had many as a lot of us have. Some are strewn about, some have been gotten rid of but one I intentionally kept was my Harrys. I think it was partly because it was packed so nicely (yes Im ocd like that). I know right where I have it. It is still in the box. I bought a set with the handle (which came with a blade) 2 spare blades and a tube of cream. It all came neatly packed in a sturdy box marked Harrys. In fact I recall being a bit annoyed the put the shipping label right on that box as it was a nice sturdy box with Harrys printed on it in silver I think. They do a great job of packaging IMO. Anyway because of all the recent reference here today I will be shaving with it. I have yet to decide if I wwill use their cream or a soap with brush. This is the first time in a long time I am using it. I am curious to see how it will feel and how it will go. I will post it in the SOTD or maybe in this thread.

9 429
 05-12-2014, 08:15 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Best of luck! I hear those carts can be dangerous :p

58 1,312
 05-12-2014, 08:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-12-2014, 07:58 AM)W.S.O. Wrote: All this recent talk of Cart Razors brought me back. I have had many as a lot of us have. Some are strewn about, some have been gotten rid of but one I intentionally kept was my Harrys. I think it was partly because it was packed so nicely (yes Im ocd like that). I know right where I have it. It is still in the box. I bought a set with the handle (which came with a blade) 2 spare blades and a tube of cream. It all came neatly packed in a sturdy box marked Harrys. In fact I recall being a bit annoyed the put the shipping label right on that box as it was a nice sturdy box with Harrys printed on it in silver I think. They do a great job of packaging IMO. Anyway because of all the recent reference here today I will be shaving with it. I have yet to decide if I wwill use their cream or a soap with brush. This is the first time in a long time I am using it. I am curious to see how it will feel and how it will go. I will post it in the SOTD or maybe in this thread.

Post it in the CSOTD in the Cartridge Section.

179 23,934
 05-12-2014, 08:20 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 05-12-2014, 09:05 AM
User Info
I bought one last month and used the only cartridge it came with. In order for me to shave with it I had to keep the handle parallel
to my face. ATG was a little easier. The end result was an okay shave but can't touch double edge razors. You might have better luck with yours.

122 13,215
 05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
User Info
Any pics of this razor? I hadn't heard of it until now. Blush

83 21,115
 05-12-2014, 12:33 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 05-16-2014, 07:19 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I just wanted to take a minute to talk about this harrys CArt RAzor a bit more. Actually about the company more than the razior. I bought this razor years ago. Like I mentioned above, the packaging is first class. Very reserved but very attracctive , very nice, Half the reason I even kept the razor. The other thing I want to mention, and I am doing so because it happened today, is their customer service. I bought that razor YEARS ago. It has to be 3-4 years. To this day I get customer service emails from them asking me not to buy anything, but asking how eveerything is going. DO I have any issues with the razor. Are there any issues they need to be made aware of. The emails are very personal. The rep introduces themselves and interacts a bit. The email addy is direct to the rep. All this from what was then a $15 purchase. I reviewed the shave in the CArt SOTD thread and I will be using it again with different products and I think the results will be a little better than they were using a brushless cream etc. Anyway, regardless of the razors performance, (its quality is good, solid attractive construction) their marketing in the form of packaging is top notch. Their customer follow up and service in exemplary. As an Artisan even though WSO is just my hobby I will strive to take a page out of their book when it comes to service. They really take an interest and care, or at minimum give the perception that they do. Now a days that kind of follow up service is unheard of. Honestly if I was going to shave with a cart regularly, I would use their product just because they are so sincere and concerned with their customers feedback and input that they contact them years later and it isnt to push other products or sell blades. It is a sincere, genuine how is it going how can we be better email. Very impressive operation.

9 429
 05-16-2014, 07:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Hey Jim, I know this GREAT soap maker, you should try his products with this razor.Biggrin

179 23,934
 05-16-2014, 09:09 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-16-2014, 07:32 AM)Johnny Wrote: Hey Jim, I know this GREAT soap maker, you should try his products with this razor.Biggrin

Ill have to do that...shoot me over his info ;-)

9 429
 05-30-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
Although the Harry's handles are very nice the shave didn't work for me at all.

122 13,215
 06-09-2014, 01:43 AM
User Info
(05-30-2014, 09:04 AM)slantman Wrote: Although the Harry's handles are very nice the shave didn't work for me at all.

My experience has been very good. Even a quick swipe in the shower brought good results...but now that I'm taking a little more time with a brush, I'd upgrade that to really good.

8 950
 09-14-2014, 08:47 AM
User Info
(06-09-2014, 01:43 AM)Rory1262 Wrote:
(05-30-2014, 09:04 AM)slantman Wrote: Although the Harry's handles are very nice the shave didn't work for me at all.

My experience has been very good. Even a quick swipe in the shower brought good results...but now that I'm taking a little more time with a brush, I'd upgrade that to really good.
Harry's and Dollar Shave are having an effect on Gillette as they now have a razor blade subscription service. They claim it will cost about a dollar a week. I skimmed through it but if I understood it correctly, you pick the blade you want and the retailer where you buy your blades and they are delivered by the retailer.

0 24
 02-11-2015, 06:33 PM
User Info
I have a Harry's but prefer the Shave MOB or 800 Razor to it.

3 117
 02-23-2015, 02:44 PM
  • Brad58
  • Go Penn State!
  • Berwick, PA
User Info
I've had Harry's for over a year and use their handles and blades every day for head shaving.  For me, performance is spot on.
Of course, I use my Weber primarily, and other vintage razors on my face.  Then too, I have never used their cream, but use my 
regular rotation of soaps and creams.  As others have said, their packaging and service are exceptional.  

16 252
 02-24-2015, 03:04 PM
User Info
(02-11-2015, 06:33 PM)txtag1 Wrote: I have a Harry's but prefer the Shave MOB or 800 Razor to it.

They are just rebranded Personna's or Dorco's....

0 280
 03-01-2015, 05:03 PM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
Rather than start a new thread on these I figured I'd just post here....

Having used my last cart this morning after shaving my head I was faced with the very real prospect of having to by more carts (I've been using the Hydro 3 & 5), or get something new and different.  I chose the latter.
[Image: 6aa9966326676bd4ccb8fe260858140812a47332.jpg]
https://www.harrys.com/products/jimmy-ch...sh&ca=hero

I've been looking at these for a while and actually asked their CS department on many occasions if they had plans to come out with a 3 or 2 blade cart design.  They told me they were working on it, but have yet to develop one that delivers the shave they feel you get from the existing cart. Seeing as how the Hydro carts are around 15 bucks or so I decided to go ahead and jump in and grab this Jimmy Chin Limited Edition, seeing as how I'm a fan of the man, what did I have to lose.  It cost me 20 so I'm buying the cream essentially for 5 bucks and getting to try something totally new that I've been wanting to try for a while anyway.

Hopefully I will get it in before next Sunday for my next head shave.  I'll report back any impressions I have on the system as I use it.  I'm hoping I like it as it's a great option for head shaving and very cost effective system.  I've heard a lot of great things about their cream too.  They also produce a ASB now, so they are developing new products, hopefully something in development is a cart with fewer blades as well.

18 1,186
 03-04-2015, 01:16 PM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
....i've been looking at Harry's razors for awhile now.......... and i am still on the fence..................
........they look like a great deal............. but i don't know if i want to go back to cartridges......... they may make a great travel razor....

46 1,070
 03-04-2015, 02:17 PM
User Info
I brought my Harry's and a few sample packets of cream on my last trip, leonidas.

8 950
 03-04-2015, 07:18 PM
User Info
   I tried Harry's and it will give you a good fast shave for a cart and refill wise cheaper than the the others. I found you basically have to hold it perpendicular to the plane of your face to achieve this. For a cart shave, I think Harry's should offer a 3 blade option instead of the 5 blade. YMMV. 

2 226