05-12-2014, 08:39 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Since I am the one that convinced Phil we should have a cartridge section (amongst some protest) I thought I should give you my history with cartridge razors. ABSOLUTELY NONE.

I started shaving when I was 15 with a Schick G1 Injector. Through the years I have used either Injectors, DE, or straight razors, but never a cartridge razor. I was even one of those who piled on blasting those who used cartridge razors.

Except for a few shaves that my wife gave me with a Gillette she bought when I tried to cut off the end of my thumb, my first use of a cartridge razor was last month when I bought one of the Feather MR3 Razors from Phil. I enjoyed it so much I decided to try others to see what the experience would be like. I must say with some, it has been a very pleasant experience.

So let me publicly apologize to those who I might have made fun of or ridiculed for using a cartridge razor.

I am still proud to say that I have always wet shaved and a can of foam or gel has never touched my hands and I have absolutely no plans in using either.

178 23,807
 05-12-2014, 09:09 AM
User Info
So just a semi-Philistine....

207 12,258
 05-12-2014, 09:16 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Biggrin

I was also in favor of creating a dedicated cartridge sub forum ...

... Johnny gets the prize for putting 110% into this!

102 18,647
 05-12-2014, 09:58 AM
User Info
This forum has seen lots of action since it went live, so somebody is interested in these things. But nobody tell Gillette that. Wink

29 1,776
 05-12-2014, 11:21 AM
User Info
And I thought you were ohhhhhhhhh sooooooooooo close to returning to the zero carbon footprint Straight Razor. Cue Fonzie.... Wet Shaving may have just "Jumped the shark"

19 775
 05-14-2014, 09:27 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I want to say sincere thanks for this Cartridge section Johnny. Aces!

1 750
 05-14-2014, 09:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Don't thank me, thank Phil. He is the one that approved it. I know Andrew is working on a review section also.

178 23,807
 05-14-2014, 11:48 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
(05-14-2014, 09:57 AM)Johnny Wrote: Don't thank me, thank Phil. He is the one that approved it. I know Andrew is working on a review section also.

Phil, I really appreciate this. I can't tell you how happy I am to see a cart section on the Nook! I especially love the CSOTD section Biggrin

1 750
 05-17-2014, 04:57 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-12-2014, 08:39 AM)Johnny Wrote: Since I am the one that convinced Phil we should have a cartridge section (amongst some protest) I thought I should give you my history with cartridge razors. ABSOLUTELY NONE.

I started shaving when I was 15 with a Schick G1 Injector. Through the years I have used either Injectors, DE, or straight razors, but never a cartridge razor. I was even one of those who piled on blasting those who used cartridge razors.

. . . my first use of a cartridge razor was last month when I bought one of the Feather MR3 Razors from Phil. I enjoyed it so much I decided to try others to see what the experience would be like. I must say with some, it has been a very pleasant experience.

I find (and hope to continue to find) your experience worth following, because I am on the same road, but driving in the opposite direction ... temporarily. I have had experience with just about every cartridge razor that has been on the market -- starting with a weird cartridge razor before Wilkinson introduced its Bonded Blade of about 1970 -- and the past few weeks I have been experimenting with a DE, the first time ever shaving with a DE (Standard Razors Raw).

At this point, I really cannot predict how the experiment will turn out; so far, I have had to finish off every DE shave with a pass from the Schick Hydro 3 razor, mainly because, while I have no problem whacking off the tall weeds with a sharp blade, getting down and dirty with the DE scares Scared me.

Like you, my first wet shave was with an injector razor, a 1962 or so PAL Steelmark that I had purchased brand new as a piece of artwork, but never actually used until about six years later, when I found myself on a British passenger ship that had electrical mains outlets into which I could not plug my electric razor. Facepalm By the time we docked at our destination, my face looked like freshly ground hambuger, but I was ready to experiment with other ways of getting a replaceable blade onto my wet face, and the ongoing cartridge experiment was about to be launched.

Thanks to you and Phil for starting this subforum; I expect to be following the experiences and opinions of my fellow Philistines (or is that "Phil-istines"?) here in the future,

1 1,086
 05-18-2014, 10:15 AM
User Info
Great to see you keeping an open-mind about things, Johnny!
I guess I can't keep calling you an old dog, then! Biggrin

82 21,077
 05-18-2014, 10:42 AM
User Info
I think cartridge razors shave me just fine. My priority in getting into wet shaving was soaps, brushes, and a variety of aftershaves and moisturizers.

I took the leap on DE razors because it seemed to go along with it so well, and the blades are cheaper.

I like a fresh blade. I don't like have to feel like I need to use a blade for weeks to keep from going broke. $2 a cartridge is just ridiculous.

So I enjoy using a fresh Personna lab for 12 cents and throwing it away after 2, 3, or 4 shaves whenever I feel like.

But the notion that the cartridges don't shave the beard well -- that's fantasy. A three pass shave with a fresh cartridge is a great shave.

0 303
 05-18-2014, 11:16 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-18-2014, 10:42 AM)Face Bannon Wrote: I think cartridge razors shave me just fine. My priority in getting into wet shaving was soaps, brushes, and a variety of aftershaves and moisturizers.

I took the leap on DE razors because it seemed to go along with it so well, and the blades are cheaper.

I like a fresh blade. I don't like have to feel like I need to use a blade for weeks to keep from going broke. $2 a cartridge is just ridiculous.

So I enjoy using a fresh Personna lab for 12 cents and throwing it away after 2, 3, or 4 shaves whenever I feel like.

But the notion that the cartridges don't shave the beard well -- that's fantasy. A three pass shave with a fresh cartridge is a great shave.

I never have kept a journal of when I have changed cartridges. But the last time I purchased Schick Hydro 5 blades, I bought two four-packs from a eBay seller. When I decided to try Hydro 3 blades instead, I found my eBay receipt for the earlier purchase, and saw that eight Hydro 5 blades had lasted me 21 months, shaving about five times a week at that stage of my life. So my decision earlier this year to drop >$50 to purchase a Standard Razors Raw, plus a few more dollars to get some different brands of DE blades to experiment with, won't make frugal economic sense unless I live to be, Hmm oh, 125 years old or so. And, by then, they probably will not let me be alone in a room with a sharp blade. Babeando

But playing with new toys is fun.

1 1,086
 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Saving money on cartridges is often part of the draw to traditional wetshaving and these forums. Then when it becomes a hobby, it gets expensive.

If I had stuck with the Schick Tracer, shaving in the shower and using shampoo for lather, I would have saved a LOT of money. Confused

I was drawn back to the traditional wetshave out of nostalgia for shaving as I knew it growing up. My intention wasn't to spend a lot of money on it. That came with hanging out on this forums. I enjoy shaving with a DE razor, a brush, and soap. I also hope to get into Injector shaving at some point, as I learned to shave on a Type L Injector and used it for five years. Still, cartridge razors are a sound concept and I have enjoyed dabbling with Feather's version thereof.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-18-2014, 03:12 PM
User Info
(05-18-2014, 11:16 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: I never have kept a journal of when I have changed cartridges. But the last time I purchased Schick Hydro 5 blades, I bought two four-packs from a eBay seller. When I decided to try Hydro 3 blades instead, I found my eBay receipt for the earlier purchase, and saw that eight Hydro 5 blades had lasted me 21 months, shaving about five times a week at that stage of my life. So my decision earlier this year to drop >$50 to purchase a Standard Razors Raw, plus a few more dollars to get some different brands of DE blades to experiment with, won't make frugal economic sense unless I live to be, Hmm oh, 125 years old or so. And, by then, they probably will not let me be alone in a room with a sharp blade. Babeando

As I say, I like a fresh blade. It's simple math that a $2 cartridge would break me if I changed it every few shaves.

Not saying you can't shave for a year off one cartridge. I'm 45, not new to shaving, and I like to change them frequently. DE razors allow that frequent change at negligible cost.

Where I think it goes bonkers is when somebody gets it in their head that cartridges don't shave as well -- they do.

(05-18-2014, 01:56 PM)CMur12 Wrote: If I had stuck with the Schick Tracer, shaving in the shower and using shampoo for lather, I would have saved a LOT of money. Confused

I'm pretty happy with the balance I've struck. It's main elements are:

1. I don't do a bunch of brushes. Got one Omega I like broken in, it lathers like a beast, and I'll use it until it tears up.

2. I cooled it on the soaps. If you don't acquire a lifetime supply, shaving soap is cheap. I'm using up what I've got.

3. I've found a razor or 2 that I like, and I stopped "collecting." I'm interesting in trying new ones like the Razorock slant, but I don't collect razors.

The hobby just brings me done when I look at a bunch of stuff I've spent money on. I like the simpleness of it.

Except for aftershaves. I have an insatiable need to try MOAR!! W00t

0 303
 05-18-2014, 04:01 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
(05-12-2014, 08:39 AM)Johnny Wrote: I am still proud to say that I have always wet shaved and a can of foam or gel has never touched my hands and I have absolutely no plans in using either.

(05-12-2014, 09:09 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: So just a semi-Philistine...

...but a sanctimonious semi-Philistine nonetheless. Biggrin

0 567
 05-18-2014, 04:12 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
(05-18-2014, 03:12 PM)Face Bannon Wrote:
(05-18-2014, 11:16 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: I never have kept a journal of when I have changed cartridges. But the last time I purchased Schick Hydro 5 blades, I bought two four-packs from a eBay seller. When I decided to try Hydro 3 blades instead, I found my eBay receipt for the earlier purchase, and saw that eight Hydro 5 blades had lasted me 21 months, shaving about five times a week at that stage of my life. So my decision earlier this year to drop >$50 to purchase a Standard Razors Raw, plus a few more dollars to get some different brands of DE blades to experiment with, won't make frugal economic sense unless I live to be, Hmm oh, 125 years old or so. And, by then, they probably will not let me be alone in a room with a sharp blade. Babeando

As I say, I like a fresh blade. It's simple math that a $2 cartridge would break me if I changed it every few shaves.

Not saying you can't shave for a year off one cartridge. I'm 45, not new to shaving, and I like to change them frequently. DE razors allow that frequent change at negligible cost.

Where I think it goes bonkers is when somebody gets it in their head that cartridges don't shave as well -- they do.

(05-18-2014, 01:56 PM)CMur12 Wrote: If I had stuck with the Schick Tracer, shaving in the shower and using shampoo for lather, I would have saved a LOT of money. Confused

I'm pretty happy with the balance I've struck. It's main elements are:

1. I don't do a bunch of brushes. Got one Omega I like broken in, it lathers like a beast, and I'll use it until it tears up.

2. I cooled it on the soaps. If you don't acquire a lifetime supply, shaving soap is cheap. I'm using up what I've got.

3. I've found a razor or 2 that I like, and I stopped "collecting." I'm interesting in trying new ones like the Razorock slant, but I don't collect razors.

The hobby just brings me done when I look at a bunch of stuff I've spent money on. I like the simpleness of it.

Except for aftershaves. I have an insatiable need to try MOAR!! W00t

You, sir, have shown far more restraint than I have!

I haven't gotten into aftershaves or colognes for the simple reason that fragrances burn my olfactory. Otherwise, I may well have spent even more.

As it is, my purchases now are few and far between.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-18-2014, 04:35 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-18-2014, 04:01 PM)Stubbl E Wrote:
(05-12-2014, 08:39 AM)Johnny Wrote: I am still proud to say that I have always wet shaved and a can of foam or gel has never touched my hands and I have absolutely no plans in using either.

(05-12-2014, 09:09 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: So just a semi-Philistine...

...but a sanctimonious semi-Philistine nonetheless. Biggrin

sanc·ti·mo·ni·ous
ˌsaNG(k)təˈmōnēəs/

adjectivederogatory
adjective: sanctimonious
making a show of being morally superior to other people.
"what happened to all the sanctimonious talk about putting his family first?"
synonyms: self-righteous, holier-than-thou, pious, pietistic, churchy, moralizing, preachy, smug, superior, priggish, hypocritical, insincere; informalgoody-goody
"no one wants to hear your sanctimonious hot air"
Origin

early 17th century (in the sense ‘holy in character’): from Latin sanctimonia ‘sanctity’ (from sanctus ‘holy’) + -ous.

Sanctimonious? I think not!

178 23,807
 05-18-2014, 06:57 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
(05-18-2014, 04:35 PM)Johnny Wrote: Sanctimonious? I think not!

Of course not! Only kidding Vicar. Biggrin

0 567