05-12-2014, 11:22 AM
User Info
I have a edwin jagger de86bl that came with some derby blades and I'm really enjoying the razor however the blades leave a lot to be desired. I have very sensitive skin and was worried about going with something to aggressive in the beginning but I'm really intrigued by the lore of the feather blades. Are these good or bad for someone with sensitive skin?

0 55
 05-12-2014, 11:40 AM
User Info
Depends entirely on your technique in my opinion - Feathers are wicked sharp, but if you shave with NO pressure they can also be very smooth.

YMMV, but why not pick up a sleeve next time you restock? It can't hurt to try Smile

3 4,483
 05-12-2014, 11:44 AM
User Info
(05-12-2014, 11:40 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Depends entirely on your technique in my opinion - Feathers are wicked sharp, but if you shave with NO pressure they can also be very smooth.

YMMV, but why not pick up a sleeve next time you restock? It can't hurt to try Smile

Lol the part I'm worried about is that it can hurt to try....a lot... I think I'm pretty good about no pressure I haven't given myself a single nick the entire time and I get pretty close. It's actually kind of hard to articulate what I don't like about derby they just don't have that wow factor

0 55
 05-12-2014, 11:54 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I have very 'delicate' skin (and very dense+coarse stubble) - and Feather is my favorite DE blade. If used with the right technique - it efficiently removes my coarse stubble - without the need for pressure or repeated strokes - which causes irritation.

Having said that - I have recently been introduced to the joys of the Polsilver Stainless. Not as sharp as Feather but smoother. Gives me a less close but more comfortable shave. Indian 7'o'clock Black blades also do the same.

As Hans hints - sampling a few different brands is the only way to tell what works best for your skin, stubble and razor/technique.

17 535
 05-12-2014, 11:57 AM
User Info
I'll add them to the list as well, that sounds like a pretty ringing endorsement as my hair is also very coarse. I'm also a heavier person and have a bit of fat under my jaw line which makes that a difficult area for me but I watched some of mantic59's videos and think I have some good suggestions for that.

0 55
 05-12-2014, 12:17 PM
User Info
My experience is they aren't for anyone who doesn't have your technique down pat! I tried one early on, and my face looked like hamburger afterwards.

If you feel like you have a pretty good technique, then I say go for it. You never know until you try.

Everyone is different! For me, I get the most comfortable shave with Derby blades. Not the closest, the most comfortable. So Derby is my blade of choice.

21 555
 05-12-2014, 12:35 PM
User Info
Personally, I have never enjoyed the Feathers as they are sharp, but lack smoothness. I much prefer the Super Iridiums for shaprness, smootheness and longevity.
There is no other way to find out than to try them for yourself to see if they work for you.
Best of luck. Smile

83 21,077
 05-12-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
Who makes the super iridiums?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

0 55
 05-16-2014, 12:51 PM
User Info
ok well ordered 20 super iridium blades off amazon yesterday should be here in a few days. Hopefully i'll like them but that was the least number I could buy.

0 55
 05-16-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
(05-12-2014, 12:37 PM)lantech19446 Wrote: Who makes the super iridiums?

From what I understand, they are still being manufactured in Russia.

83 21,077
 05-16-2014, 02:45 PM
User Info
apparently made by polsilver which is now owned by gilette who kept the polsilver name, they used to be manufactured in poland but they closed that factory in 2007 as far I can tell and moved it too st. petersburg. Most of the opinions I found were that polsilvers are far better than gilette in just about every way.

0 55
 05-17-2014, 05:56 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-16-2014, 02:45 PM)lantech19446 Wrote: Most of the opinions I found were that polsilvers are far better than gilette in just about every way.

The umbrella "Gillette" casts shade on a wide variety of different blades. Looking at a broad sampling of users' experiences, the verdicts on Polsilver Super Iridiums and Gillette Silver Blues (which are made in the same factory) are similar, with the opinions of those who have used both split pretty much down the middle as to which is the better blade. And then there are the "dark blue" Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (formerly made in Russia and often confused with "black" Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum currently made in India): the dark blues have acquired a sainted aura from no longer being available. Reputedly, the dark blue blades are made with unobtanium.

1 1,086
 05-18-2014, 10:04 AM
User Info
I have tried both Polsiver Super Iridium and Gillete Silver Blues, for me atleast I like the Gilette better. It seems to be a bit smoother and cuts a bit better.

0 14
 05-22-2014, 10:44 AM
User Info
Feather was the first blade i tried and i did cut myself and had razor burn. I am sure that was down to being new to DE shaving. Still learning and going to wait until my technique is right before i try the Feather again

0 20
 05-23-2014, 12:58 PM
User Info
Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum blades are incredible. They keep a sharp edge for plenty of shaves, and do not drag on your face at all. Highly recommended!

Another option is to order a sample pack of blades online and simply try each one until you find your match made in heaven.

0 217
 05-23-2014, 01:08 PM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 12:58 PM)Razor Emporium Wrote: Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum blades are incredible. They keep a sharp edge for plenty of shaves, and do not drag on your face at all. Highly recommended!

Another option is to order a sample pack of blades online and simply try each one until you find your match made in heaven.

If by plenty you mean two shaves you're spot on.

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

0 163
 05-23-2014, 03:25 PM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 12:58 PM)Razor Emporium Wrote: Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum blades are incredible. They keep a sharp edge for plenty of shaves, and do not drag on your face at all. Highly recommended!

I just ordered a 20 pack of the super iridiums and so far they've been incredible, I may still try the feathers at some point but I was in a pinch for time and I got a couple people who said yes definitely try these yet no one seems to agree on feathers.

0 55
 05-29-2014, 01:30 PM
User Info
Feathers are great. They just require some focus when you first start with them.

4 58
 05-29-2014, 06:12 PM
User Info
you were correct in choosing the word "lore" to describe the hype surrounding feathers. they are a quality blade, made in japan, that many people love. i enjoy them too, and i use them from time to time. but i will say the actual difference in performance compared to some other good blades does not warrant the reputation that they have these days as existing in a universe of their own. anyone who claims that their face was "destroyed" by a feather blade would, i assume, likely have had a similar experience with some other blades, and it is likely more of a technique issue than a blade issue. in any case, give them a try, don't let the hype hold you back. DE blades are all sharp, so just find the one(s) that fit you best.

0 4
 06-02-2014, 11:16 AM
User Info
All I know is I like the Feathers quite a bit... they're a treat and actually bring back a bit of "fun" for me when shaving. They are so sharp and smooth.

0 53