05-12-2014, 02:06 PM
User Info
Used to own the DX, but did not give it enough time and felt it was a bit hard to maneuvre around with.

I hope the softer edge on the SS will give me a more comfortable shave, yet still a very close one.

I decided to but both the straight and the Japanese straight in black.

I'm not a guy into honing - so original straight razors are not for me, and probably never will be for me (never say never though)

Anyone who has owned both versions of the Feather AC SS ?

24 5,962
 05-12-2014, 07:15 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
I did but didn't care for the handles and the rounded part either. It might provide a somewhat safer shave for a beginner but the DX versions give me better shaves.

28 1,442
 05-12-2014, 09:23 PM
User Info
I have owned both and both are great shavers, but being a traditional straight razor user I prefer the weight and feel of the DX, the only problem most users of the Feather range will find when they switch to a straight razor is the Feather blade is so sharp and cuts with such ease they automatically think the straight razor isn't sharp and that's mostly down to their poor technique.

11 1,940
 05-13-2014, 04:57 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-12-2014, 09:23 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I have owned both and both are great shavers, but being a traditional straight razor user I prefer the weight and feel of the DX, the only problem most users of the Feather range will find when they switch to a straight razor is the Feather blade is so sharp and cuts with such ease they automatically think the straight razor isn't sharp and that's mostly down to their poor technique.
Gentlemen,
I echo Jamie's thoughts. Well said. I have owned the various models of the Feather — DX, SS, non-folding, and the original — and have given up all. Oh, they are great shavers and well made, but I also need the traditional straight razor's colorful ritual — stropping, honing, cleaning, and so on. Still, I might buy another DX pearl and keep it as backup for my travel traditional straight, a Friodur 6/8 INOX.

150 3,019
 05-18-2014, 07:25 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(05-12-2014, 09:23 PM)Jamie Mahoney Wrote: I have owned both and both are great shavers, but being a traditional straight razor user I prefer the weight and feel of the DX, the only problem most users of the Feather range will find when they switch to a straight razor is the Feather blade is so sharp and cuts with such ease they automatically think the straight razor isn't sharp and that's mostly down to their poor technique.

The straight is sharp, but no where near as sharp as the Feather blade. I have a very difficult beard. Most DE blades I have tried are not sharp enough. I use the Feather DE for most of my razors. Shavettes work for me, straights are a struggle. I had a couple of Dovos from SR Designs. Freshly honed, would not cut the beard on the down stroke of my cheeks at any angle, period. Shavette blades, no problems.

I would really like to use a straight if I could get them as sharp as the Feather.

19 566
 05-18-2014, 08:56 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
@matloffm: Recently I learned about a shaver in London that has to soak his beard for half a hour in his bad before he can shave, he uses 2 Feather blades to complete one shave, now that's what I would call a difficult beard.

And he often uses a straight, so it can be done. He does however needs to strop the razor before every shave on a diamond pasted strop.

28 1,442
 05-19-2014, 07:26 AM
User Info
I have a DX and an SS (both traditional folding models). The DX does provide a more "traditional" straight shave, but the SS can allow for a somewhat "quicker" shave once you get it down. The one thing to keep in mind here is that you do not want to use the Feather "Light" blades in the SS. With the edge design of the SS you'll have essentially no decent cutting angle with the Light blades.

129 6,685
 05-19-2014, 07:29 AM
User Info
(05-18-2014, 08:56 PM)Snuff Wrote: @matloffm: Recently I learned about a shaver in London that has to soak his beard for half a hour in his bad before he can shave, he uses 2 Feather blades to complete one shave, now that's what I would call a difficult beard.

And he often uses a straight, so it can be done. He does however needs to strop the razor before every shave on a diamond pasted strop.

[Image: PedroYetiFranceslrg.jpg]

129 6,685
 05-19-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
(05-19-2014, 07:26 AM)wingdo Wrote: I have a DX and an SS (both traditional folding models). The DX does provide a more "traditional" straight shave, but the SS can allow for a somewhat "quicker" shave once you get it down. The one thing to keep in mind here is that you do not want to use the mild blades in the SS. With the edge design of the SS you'll have essentially no decent cutting angle with the mild blades.

What about the ProGuard blades? I know they're "training wheels" but right now that's what I need.

84 1,505
 05-19-2014, 07:59 AM
User Info
(05-19-2014, 07:54 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(05-19-2014, 07:26 AM)wingdo Wrote: I have a DX and an SS (both traditional folding models). The DX does provide a more "traditional" straight shave, but the SS can allow for a somewhat "quicker" shave once you get it down. The one thing to keep in mind here is that you do not want to use the mild blades in the SS. With the edge design of the SS you'll have essentially no decent cutting angle with the mild blades.

What about the ProGuard blades? I know they're "training wheels" but right now that's what I need.

Proguards are fine. They are the "standard" length so no issues there. They tend to not last as long as the regulars, but they and the SS will give you a close safe shave once you get the angle down right. Just don't "rush", nicks and weepers come from bad angles (causing a skip across the cheek), or rushing.

129 6,685
 05-19-2014, 09:08 AM
User Info
(05-19-2014, 07:59 AM)wingdo Wrote: Proguards are fine. They are the "standard" length so no issues there. They tend to not last as long as the regulars, but they and the SS will give you a close safe shave once you get the angle down right. Just don't "rush", nicks and weepers come from bad angles (causing a skip across the cheek), or rushing.

Right, forgot about the length (or height?) of the blade and how it can get too "snug". Once I finally commit, this will probably be my 3rd or 4th go at the A/C system. Of course I completely forget the correct angle and approach between each "go" so I have re-learn it all each time.

84 1,505
 05-19-2014, 01:35 PM
User Info
I have corrected my earlier post, it is Feather "light" blades you do not want. "Mild" is actually a Kai designation and those are fine and dandy in the SS.

129 6,685