05-12-2014, 09:52 PM
User Info
I just had to squeeze in one more for tonight.
This just came in today courtesy of two Gentlemen, in every sense of the word, from this forum.
A pair of stand up guys who's efforts I truly appreciate.
Jim and Dustin.
Thank you!
They seemed to be anxious to see what I'd do with it. So here you go guys. I hope I did you proud.
I just go silly over bolsters and I love the ones on this one.
I broke it down and did some clean up on the blade. I removed the staining , scratches etc. which were relatively minor and gave it a satiny brushed finish as I could see it originally had.
I then polished out the shaft. The only real flaw with this razor is the stamping on the shaft. The little banding for some reason is missing two little circles. It's the small design just ahead of the word Aristocrat. So when you see the final piece you'll know I didn't sand them away.
The original shaft was blued. I could see traces of it on the shaft and some solid color remained on the top of the spine from the stabilizers back.
I cleaned up the shaft and decided ( not sure if this is how it was ) to leave the section that has the word Aristocrat in natural steel finish with the rest blued. I happen to think it looks neat.
When I drilled out the pins the original washers weren't disturbed so I reused them. The washers are silver and the pins brass are what was in there.
The scales had the usual scratches etc. so I got them sanded and they polished up quite nicely.
Thanks again guys.
And no.... you can't have it back!

[Image: wrCppzM.jpg]

[Image: aStLPoe.jpg]

[Image: ImIuZfE.jpg]

[Image: BapcwMC.jpg]

[Image: JVBEx7k.jpg]

[Image: mKBQmtY.jpg]

[Image: z62SHmX.jpg]

[Image: wOzK7oC.jpg]

[Image: Z5tiYVB.jpg]

[Image: yTtYIt3.jpg]

0 777
 05-12-2014, 11:29 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
A true gem. You did it justice as i knew you would. Justice and then some. Great Work!

9 429
 05-13-2014, 03:34 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great Bolsters, Fantastic Result!

59 4,387
 05-13-2014, 04:21 AM
User Info
Dustin, you are off to the races! Jim. I am sure you are proud of this PIF, and Mark............ goes without saying..always amazing! I like the fact that Dustin resides in Olympia . WA and the Barber Supply Razor Gem is from Washington State as well...very appropriate!

19 775
 05-13-2014, 04:28 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-13-2014, 04:21 AM)minimalist Wrote: Dustin, you are off to the races! Jim. I am sure you are proud of this PIF, and Mark............ goes without saying..always amazing! I like the fact that Dustin resides in Olympia . WA and the Barber Supply Razor Gem is from Washington State as well...very appropriate!

I can understand based on posts in other threads and Marks post in this one where that would be your perception, however this is not the Straight I have PIFed to Dustin but rather another straight where ironically enough all 3 of us were linked together. Its like 7 degrees of separation! LOL At any rate this Razor is Marks and Dustin & I were involved in his acquisition of it. Primarily Dustin actually,being the good guy that he is. I played a small role in simply stepping aside. Mark was very gracious in his thanks. (Just wanted to clarify)

9 429
 05-13-2014, 05:38 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Another beautiful restoration. This is one cool looking razor!

38 5,032
 05-13-2014, 05:41 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Very very nice!

28 1,433
 05-13-2014, 07:59 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I knew you would do a great job on it and it's absolutely gorgeous! My first find for other people definitely could have gone smoother but it all turned out just fine and new friendships were made and others strengthened. Wonderful job Mark.

58 1,312
 05-13-2014, 03:53 PM
User Info
Thank you on several levels Dustin! I appreciate all you have done.

0 777
 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
Man that is beautiful work.

129 6,685
 05-23-2014, 02:23 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Fantastic work!

99 18,011
 05-23-2014, 09:04 AM
User Info
I swear this is my favorite forum. I just love seeing these old beauties brought back to life. Wonderful work Mark.

129 6,685