05-13-2014, 12:35 AM
User Info
I've been at DE wetshaving for the past month or so. I've been using all of the same steps (preshave, brush, cream, AS) with a cartridge for the past two years, but a Merkur HD from the AOS really started the ball rolling.

In the intervening month, I've been to antique shops in my area and scored:
- 2 fat handled Techs
- 1 ball handle Tech
- 1957 Red Tip
- 1957 Blue Tip (PIFed to a friend to try wet shaving)
- 1940's Super Speed (in the mail)
- 1 Gem Micromatic (no interest in using this yet)
- 1 Schick Kroma

Yesterday was my birthday. My family had generously given me almost $200. I've been looking hard at stainless razors over the past couple weeks (stainless is one of my favorite colors). Above the Tie is somewhat local to me. What pushed me over the edge was my wife talking about starting to read Atlas Shrugged.

As a new wet shaver, I have no business ordering a razor like this. I know, per Mr. Carrington's guidance, that I should be in my "30 day stick to it" learning curve. To be fair, I am doing that - my Merkur is my daily shaver except for about 1 or 2 shaves per week, on the weekend. Most of my razor acquisitions thus far have been in the direction of learning, and the thrill of the hunt in old antique shops.

We'll see how this goes. I was seriously torn between the Weber and the ATT. Main selling points for the ATT were the milled construction, the 30 day guarantee, and the fact that I had the funds and was looking to treat myself. A Weber is a much easier impulse buy for me than the ATT.

0 18
 05-13-2014, 05:17 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
The ATT does look a great piece of kit, though, but mild...apparently... maybe too mild for me. I like aggressive and smooth. But why shouldn't you have one? You could always trade it if you decided it wasn't for you after all.

0 1,846
 05-13-2014, 07:42 AM
User Info
Happy Belated Birthday! Biggrin

83 21,113
 05-13-2014, 10:52 AM
User Info
RAD is bad.

Just when you think it is in remission it flares up again.

2 1,552
 05-13-2014, 11:14 AM
  • Lb1
  • United Kingdom
User Info
An ATT M1 is certainly not mild in my opinion. I recently bought one and would put it above a 34c in terms of aggressiveness. It's a 'moderate' razor to me. I traded it for a Feather AS D2 which is an astounding razor in my opinion. Smooth and efficient with the best results I've had from any razor. Obviously it's not everyone's cup of tea due to its mild reputation but like I said it's also efficient at mowing down stubble.

I think your right in leaning towards to ATT though due to the 30 day guarantee. Try it and if it's not for you then you haven't lost anything.

0 105
 05-13-2014, 05:11 PM
User Info
(05-13-2014, 10:52 AM)kingfisher Wrote: RAD is bad.

Just when you think it is in remission it flares up again.

I go from RAD to SBAD to SSAD to ASAD and then the cycle starts over again.

24 664
 05-14-2014, 01:53 AM
User Info
Depends on what you're looking for. The Weber and the M1 give basically the same shave.

Mr Carrington's advice works for some but there are other excellent avenues to learning. In my case using different razors in rotation shortened the learning curve. We're all different.

6 358
 03-18-2015, 06:01 AM
User Info
(05-14-2014, 01:53 AM)Aimless1 Wrote: Depends on what you're looking for.  The Weber and the M1 give basically the same shave.  

Mr Carrington's advice works for some but there are other excellent avenues to learning.  In my case using different razors in rotation shortened the learning curve.  We're all different.

Well, how do you compare it with the R1?

13 1,313
 03-18-2015, 09:59 AM
User Info
R1 was much more efficient than the M1 yet still as smooth for me, imho. But again, everything about shaving is subjective to your own interpretation..

2 60
 03-18-2015, 07:24 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
i traded my R1, it was a little too aggressive for me.  love the M1

17 447
 03-22-2015, 06:47 AM
User Info
(05-13-2014, 12:35 AM)59Bassman Wrote: I've been at DE wetshaving for the past month or so.  I've been using all of the same steps (preshave, brush, cream, AS) with a cartridge for the past two years, but a Merkur HD from the AOS really started the ball rolling.

- 2 fat handled Techs
- 1 ball handle Tech
- 1957 Red Tip
- 1 Schick Kroma

Yesterday was my birthday.  My family had generously given me almost $200.  I've been looking hard at stainless razors over the past couple weeks (stainless is one of my favorite colors).  Above the Tie is somewhat local to me.  What pushed me over the edge was my wife talking about starting to read Atlas Shrugged.

As a new wet shaver, I have no business ordering a razor like this.  I know, per Mr. Carrington's guidance, that I should be in my "30 day stick to it" learning curve.  To be fair, I am doing that - my Merkur is my daily shaver except for about 1 or 2 shaves per week, on the weekend.  Most of my razor acquisitions thus far have been in the direction of learning, and the thrill of the hunt in old antique shops.

We'll see how this goes.  I was seriously torn between the Weber and the ATT.  Main selling points for the ATT were the milled construction, the 30 day guarantee, and the fact that I had the funds and was looking to treat myself.  A Weber is a much easier impulse buy for me than the ATT.

I think that the Weber and the ATT with M1 plate gives the same shave,so I heard from others. The ATT company gives you a thirty day trial period to use and if not satisfied,you get your money back..If you buy a weber and don't like it..no money back....Frank M

0 29
 03-22-2015, 06:58 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 06:47 AM)Frank54 Wrote: I think that the Weber and the ATT with M1 plate gives the same shave,so I heard from others. The ATT company gives you a thirty day trial period to use and if not satisfied,you get your money back..If you buy a weber and don't like it..no money back....Frank M

Razors are not that complicated items..Smile  Weber for now,  do supply razor handles only.
 ATT provides exceptional service by what they do, for sure.

21 1,175
 03-22-2015, 02:15 PM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 06:58 AM)Bibbelmann Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 06:47 AM)Frank54 Wrote: I think that the Weber and the ATT with M1 plate gives the same shave,so I heard from others. The ATT company gives you a thirty day trial period to use and if not satisfied,you get your money back..If you buy a weber and don't like it..no money back....Frank M

Razors are not that complicated items..Smile  Weber for now,  do supply razor handles only.
 ATT provides exceptional service by what they do, for sure.
   Your are spot on..That's what it is all about.  No one else has that guarantee and even exchanging base plates if not to your liking. 

0 29
 03-22-2015, 11:38 PM
User Info
I have the ATT 7pc. Set. I got an R-1, M-1,H-1 Heads a Krono's Handle and an Atlas Handle. I had a choice of the Colossus Handle, I wish now that I would have gotten the Colossus Handle instead of the Atlas Handle. I  also have a Weber 3pc with the Classic Handle. I really like my Weber I some what prefer it over the ATT Razor. But the more I use my ATT I am swinging more towards my ATT razors.

0 129
 03-22-2015, 11:43 PM
User Info
(03-18-2015, 06:01 AM)Rui Marques Wrote:
(05-14-2014, 01:53 AM)Aimless1 Wrote: Depends on what you're looking for.  The Weber and the M1 give basically the same shave.  

Mr Carrington's advice works for some but there are other excellent avenues to learning.  In my case using different razors in rotation shortened the learning curve.  We're all different.

Well, how do you compare it with the R1?

I think the R-1 is a good razor, not quite as aggressive.  But YMMV as where my thoughts may be different from yours.
I do wish I had bought a Weber with the Bulldog Handle also,when I got the Weber with the Classic handle. I like the longer handle of the Kronos  and the Classic handles over the Atlas or Bulldog handles. Just my thoughts.

0 129
 03-22-2015, 11:47 PM
User Info
(05-13-2014, 12:35 AM)59Bassman Wrote: I've been at DE wetshaving for the past month or so.  I've been using all of the same steps (preshave, brush, cream, AS) with a cartridge for the past two years, but a Merkur HD from the AOS really started the ball rolling.

- 2 fat handled Techs
- 1 ball handle Tech
- 1957 Red Tip
- 1 Schick Kroma

Yesterday was my birthday.  My family had generously given me almost $200.  I've been looking hard at stainless razors over the past couple weeks (stainless is one of my favorite colors).  Above the Tie is somewhat local to me.  What pushed me over the edge was my wife talking about starting to read Atlas Shrugged.

As a new wet shaver, I have no business ordering a razor like this.  I know, per Mr. Carrington's guidance, that I should be in my "30 day stick to it" learning curve.  To be fair, I am doing that - my Merkur is my daily shaver except for about 1 or 2 shaves per week, on the weekend.  Most of my razor acquisitions thus far have been in the direction of learning, and the thrill of the hunt in old antique shops.

We'll see how this goes.  I was seriously torn between the Weber and the ATT.  Main selling points for the ATT were the milled construction, the 30 day guarantee, and the fact that I had the funds and was looking to treat myself.  A Weber is a much easier impulse buy for me than the ATT.

I do think we all suffer from RAD ! I bought my Weber first, over a year ago. Or I should say almost a year ago. I have had long to learn the technique of the Razor. I have the Att 7pc Set, and I use it but it's not always in my razor rotation. But it is working it's way into the rotation.

0 129
 03-23-2015, 12:57 AM
User Info
(03-22-2015, 11:38 PM)PatrickA51 Wrote: I have the ATT 7pc. Set. I got an R-1, M-1,H-1 Heads a Krono's Handle and an Atlas Handle. I had a choice of the Colossus Handle, I wish now that I would have gotten the Colossus Handle instead of the Atlas Handle. I  also have a Weber 3pc with the Classic Handle. I really like my Weber I some what prefer it over the ATT Razor. But the more I use my ATT I am swinging more towards my ATT razors.

For that price I would swing to the ATT.  Both great razors!

0 29
 03-23-2015, 03:04 AM
  • leonidas
  • Jerez de la Frontera
User Info
......go back....! go back!!! go back to cartridge razors and can foam shaving soaps!!
...............once you switch to safety razors and expensive hard and soft soaps........ you are doomed to wander the earth as we do, looking for that next razor and that next artisian soap....

.......fly........my young friend......... fly........ while there is still time..........

46 1,070
 03-23-2015, 10:34 AM
User Info
(03-23-2015, 03:04 AM)leonidas Wrote: ......go back....!   go back!!!  go back to cartridge razors and can foam shaving soaps!!
...............once you switch to safety razors and expensive hard and soft soaps........ you are doomed to wander the earth as we do, looking for that next razor and that next artisian soap....

.......fly........my young friend......... fly........  while there is still time..........

Piggy_214 LOL

0 129
 03-23-2015, 04:01 PM
User Info
(03-18-2015, 07:24 PM)Lando Wrote: i traded my R1, it was a little too aggressive for me.  love the M1

I know you paid 185+,but do you think the price is a little steep or is it justifiable?

0 29