05-13-2014, 01:39 AM
  • jb74
  • Ireland
User Info
OK, so I received a tub of this cream as part of a giveaway on a UK based forum. I think there's something similar happening here, but I thought it still might be useful to post my thoughts on this cream.

It arrived yesterday and I spent a while playing around with it, mainly smelling it and comparing it to it's closest rival in my stash, Trumpers Rose, and a little test lathering.

I'm going to reference the Trumpers Rose from time to time simply because, for me, it is it's closest rival (that I own).

I shaved with it for the first time this morning.

Here are my views -

Packing
Simple, no fuss metal tin. The diameter is mainly irrelevant because you simply have to dab you brush tips in the cream.

Consistency
It's a very soft cream. Trumpers in comparison would be significantly firmer. If anyone has the Vulfix Sicilian Limes, then the consistency of the Simpsons cream might just be a fraction firmer than this.

Scent
The scent is described as 'Vanilla & Rose' but it's effectively 'Rose'. When compared to the Trumpers it is ever so slightly sweeter so I'm guessing that's where the vanilla is kicking in. Rose seems to be a strong, powerful, lasting scent... certainly not one that goes missing on you before, during or after the shave.

As I messed around yesterday I found that scent of the Simpsons to be more pleasant than the Trumpers. Taking a little bit of each cream and rubbing it on my arm, the Trumpers scent disappeared whilst the Simpsons remained and was quite pleasant. The sweetness of the Vanilla came through a little more.

Ingredients
I've included a photo of the bottom end of the tin so those who are interested in ingredients can take a look. For the most part, ingredients don't mean that much to me, the only thing I will say is that there appear to be quite a few more than the Trumpers Rose.

The Shave
Using my Duke 2, I lightly dabbed the brush tips in the cream. At first glance it appeared there might be too little cream (and third pass in there was), but I decided to go conservatively on it based on the other reviews. I then began face lathering and it lathered up like a champ. Very easy to lather, no fuss at all.

The shave itself was really good (ATT Kronos with a Gillette Rubie blade #2). Smooth, protected, cushion, glide... and all the other things you want in a good performing lather. It was very noticeable that the cream performed very well. The scent was rich and pleasant all the way through the shave.

The lather did begin to thin out on the third pass, but admittedly I had been very conservative when initially applying to the brush. One light dab in the cream and it lathered up like a champ once again.

Post Shave
The scent was still strong on my skin. Skin felt very smooth but a little dry and subsequently tight for my liking. I had to reach for some ASB just to alleviate the minor discomfort. The ASB basically killed off the Rose scent, not the end of the world as most people don't rely on their soap and cream for scent after the shave.

Wrap Up
The cream will go a long way. A small amount produces a lot of lather. The scent is rich and pleasant. The shave was smooth and hassle free. The post shave was ok.

Would I rush out and buy the other scents - honestly, I'm just not sure. As a soap man, there's so much happening on the artisan front that's new, exciting and different. The Simpsons, whilst pretty decent, isn't super exciting. It's going head to head with creams from Trumpers, T&H, DR Harris etc, that are all pretty similar. I think the range of scents are probably a bit on the safe and predictable side and the cream is pretty solid but doesn't have the wow factor that maybe the post shave could have given it or something a little different or extravagant on the scent side might have achieved.

Oh, and finally - can you guys at Simpsons please produce that beautiful Dark Knight Ebony Chubby brush in a standard best or synthetic knot and make it more affordable to the Average Joe.

Thanks Mark/Vulfix for the opportunity to try the cream. I'll keep testing it during the week and post any additional thoughts.

[Image: 14196037413_506afd7e02_c.jpg]

0 136
 05-13-2014, 07:33 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the cream!

82 21,056
 05-13-2014, 08:34 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Thanks for the sincere review!

26 4,896
 05-13-2014, 04:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, was wondering how these products coming out from simpsons were rated

2 95
 05-13-2014, 05:22 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
A comprehensive & frank review - thank you. I am looking forward to testing this cream myself later this month!

17 535
 05-13-2014, 07:41 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about the performance of these creams.

38 5,032
 05-13-2014, 10:57 PM
  • Doc
  • Paris
User Info
Nice review, too bad the vanilla scent is not more powerful.

1 208
 05-14-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
I'm going to tag on here, only because it seems odd to create a new thread for the same scent and cream when my impressions are almost identical to jb74's. I received this same Vanilla & Rose scent from the giveaway here on this forum.

First, let me say this was very generous of Simpsons! Unfortunately, of their six new scents, a rose scent is what I would have picked dead last.

As jb74 said, it lathers up like a champ. I didn't dip my brush in because I knew I would be passing this onto someone else just because of the scent, but I scooped out a very small amount on my palm and it lathered up with no effort at all. The shave was good and the lather did not irritate my face at all. The post-shave feel is slightly dry compared to the best artisan soaps, but it did leave my skin soft.

The scent... is strong. If you love rose, and this is predominantly a rose scent with just a hint of vanilla, you will love this. It lingers. I emphatically don't love rose, so the fact that I can still smell it on my face as I type this isn't a plus. However, I can't fault the cream just because it's not my kind of scent.

I'm mostly a soap guy rather than cream, but this is very much on par with the TOBS creams I've used. It wouldn't supplant my favorite soaps, but I would certainly use it in a scent that didn't make me smell like my Mom. (Sorry rose lovers. And if any of you got a different scent in the giveaway and want to swap, let me know. Biggrin)

9 112
 05-14-2014, 01:21 PM
User Info
Interesting.

I wonder if the sweetness is coming from the Rosa centifolia extract rather than from vanilla, given than Rosa centifolia is a hybrid rose known and prized specifically for its sweet rose scent.

I don't see anything remotely approaching vanilla or a vanilla scent in the ingredients list at all, which is curious. Boswilia serrata is also known as Indian frankincense; I wonder if this, blended with the rose, is what gives it a vanilla-esque scent.

Strangest of all is the use of fireweed extract, which actually appears higher up in the ingredients list than either of the two I just mentioned (Epilobium angustifolium is fireweed). I've never smelled this flower, but it is said to smell like celery oil. It may have been included because it is also said to be good for the skin.

Anyway, thanks for the review.

2 1,391
 05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
  • jb74
  • Ireland
User Info
Yup, I too noticed no vanilla in the ingredient list. It's definitely slightly sweeter than Trumpers Rose, but I don't get any actual vanilla scent from it, just the slight sweetness.

0 136
 05-14-2014, 02:55 PM
User Info
Is the cream white or pink and if pink, does it stain the brush ?

I'm NOT a rose fan either. I use DR Harris Pink Rose water as an after shave, but the rose in that is so light I hardly detect it after 2 minutes.

I have tried several rose scrented shaving creams - Cyril Salter, Truefiit & Hill, TOBS and I'm not a huge fan of Rose scent (to me they don't even smell much like real roses anyway)

Thanks guys Smile

24 5,843
 05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
  • jb74
  • Ireland
User Info
Cream is white

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

0 136
 05-14-2014, 05:38 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
The Simpson cream was such a fantastic performer for me, and I'm really pleased that they offer it in a Rose scent. I am a big fan. Could those who have used Harris Rose cream and the new Simpson Rose compare the two?

0 1,137
 05-15-2014, 12:10 AM
User Info
Great candid reviews, love it gents - thanks.

Please let us remember we are reviewing the cream & it's performance primarily - not so much the scent as the creams and it's individual fragrance received may not be the preference of the free giveaway recipient.

We have created seven fragrances initially so there is plenty of scope to find the one that best suits you.

We've been working on these creams with our manufacturer for well over a year as a few of you will know. We wanted them to out-perform anything else on the market around the pricepoint and above - We believe we've been successful.

Hopefully you guys in the US will have access to them very soon.

Thanks again,

Mark

1 632