05-13-2014, 04:45 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I am excited about this acquisition of a Clauss Straight Razor, Stamped out of Freemont Ohio. I will explain why. As some of you may know (most prob dont but will now) I have recently gotten back into straight razor shaving and minor restoration quite ardently, in my typical OCD fashion. At any rate along with this has been some extensive research on vintage straights and their origins, again my OCD nature. As part of this research, prior to purchasing this, I had read that in 1906 Clauss Cutlery and Henckels Corp. out of Solingen Germany had merged. Shortly thereafter Clauss began to carry and distribute straight razors. When I saw this razor my mind was working I thought perhaps there was something to this merging and this "coincidence" that Clauss began their straight razor distribution shortly thereafter the Henckels merger. The possibility that this blade was in fact manufactured by Henckels for Clauss, while speculative, seemed fairly realistic. For the incredibly inexpensive price this razor was obtained at it was worth taking the chance that in fact was the case. Also I have taken an interest in American Straights anyway primarily focusing on my region. Mostly PA but also NY and MASS, now I could add OH to the list. I have since been told by a very experienced restorer (MyCarver) that he has done a few (or several i forget the verbiage) Clauss razors and they are indeed a nice little razor. This only has served to make me more excited about this razor and when time permits I plan on restoring her to the best of my ability. She doesn't look like much now but hopefully after some patience and elbow grease I can change that.
[Image: BSYkIq7.jpg]

9 429
 05-13-2014, 04:46 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice, Jim.

I look forward to seeing how the restoration goes.

102 18,552
 05-13-2014, 05:32 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
I also picked ud this cool early version shavette that actually has a strop built in inside the head that holds the blade. BTW it appears to me that feathers will fit this but i will have to check it out. I thought this was really cool and would look great when the handle etc is all polished up. It to was inexpensive, not as inexpensive at the straight above but for what it cost I wanted it for my collection to be sure. Check it out:
[Image: qtZ1G5a.jpg][Image: lBu7ke0.jpg][Image: zSTpFx2.jpg]

9 429
 05-13-2014, 05:36 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Interesting history and fun acquisitions. Please post your restorations.

38 5,031
 05-13-2014, 05:38 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Those Clauss razors are fine shavers having at least one in my rotation. I do believe that the Henkel Co of Freemont Ohio is not related to the JA Henckels Co of Soligen Germany see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clauss_Cutlery_Company . That takes not a thing away from Clauss razors as they shave as well as my one JA Henckels. American made razors do not seem to get the respect they deserve in their own right IMHO and that is from a non American so there is no form of patriotism to colour that opinion.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-13-2014, 05:44 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-13-2014, 04:46 AM)Agravic Wrote: Very nice, Jim.

I look forward to seeing how the restoration goes.

Thank You Ravi!

(05-13-2014, 05:36 AM)evnpar Wrote: Interesting history and fun acquisitions. Please post your restorations.

I surely will....

(05-13-2014, 05:38 AM)BobH Wrote: Those Clauss razors are fine shavers having at least one in my rotation. I do believe that the Henkel Co of Freemont Ohio is not related to the JA Henckels Co of Soligen Germany see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clauss_Cutlery_Company . That takes not a thing away from Clauss razors as they shave as well as my one JA Henckels. American made razors do not seem to get the respect they deserve in their own right IMHO and that is from a non American so there is no form of patriotism to colour that opinion.

Bob

Thank you for the clarification Bob - mucch apptreciated. It seems even though my speculation was not correct it indeed led me to a fine shaver at an amazing price. I was very lucky. Now I am looking forward to receiving and restoring it more than ever!

9 429
 05-14-2014, 06:49 AM
User Info
I too collect razors with a Pa. connection . Neat ones have been stamped Allentown, my neighboring city. There was also a Co.there that was better known for pocket knives but also made razors called Wolfertz. I've only found one.
Also some from your area , Philadelphia.
Fun when you find them .

0 777
 05-14-2014, 07:02 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-14-2014, 06:49 AM)mycarver Wrote: I too collect razors with a Pa. connection . Neat ones have been stamped Allentown, my neighboring city. There was also a Co.there that was better known for pocket knives but also made razors called Wolfertz. I've only found one.
Also some from your area , Philadelphia.
Fun when you find them .

I just picked up one from Pittsburgh and I have one Allentown one that is very cool. Its yellow like the Erusta with nice bolsters. It is stamped Kliens , Allentown PA. I also have one from Phila, A shear company whose name I cannot recall at the moment. The of course the biggest Pa ones ( I think) A couple Case straights from Bradford, Pa as well. It adds a neat aspect to the hobby. I will have to keep a keen eye for the Wolfertz straights.

9 429
 05-14-2014, 07:18 AM
User Info
Yes. I have some Cases as well. Quite Collectable in their own right
I'll have to gather them up and shoot some pics. Not all have been restored but at least they're here.

0 777
 05-14-2014, 07:53 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-14-2014, 07:18 AM)mycarver Wrote: Yes. I have some Cases as well. Quite Collectable in their own right
I'll have to gather them up and shoot some pics. Not all have been restored but at least they're here.

The scales on the Case Straights are a bear I am noticing. Both my Red Imp and Temperite are horrible. The Temperite literally fell apart in my hands! Id love to see your pics when you have time to post them up.

9 429
 05-14-2014, 08:12 AM
User Info
The Imps are notorious for bad scales especially the early ones. I just got one in a couple days ago that I think is a later one and the scales are perfect.
Different material than the older ones. I have one that the wedge end bent to a 45 degree angle and I had to cut it to free the blade.
Those scales are also known for gassing so keep an eye on the blade for signs.

OMG. I think they reproduce while I'm not looking.
Not sure if photos will be possible. Just the true American pile is growing quickly .
If you include stampings of a US city or business but on the reverse says Germany for example the pile grows geometrically.
And I've only just begun. This will be daunting to say the least. Not sure now if this was I good idea .

0 777
 05-14-2014, 08:40 AM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-14-2014, 08:12 AM)mycarver Wrote: The Imps are notorious for bad scales especially the early ones. I just got one in a couple days ago that I think is a later one and the scales are perfect.
Different material than the older ones. I have one that the wedge end bent to a 45 degree angle and I had to cut it to free the blade.
Those scales are also known for gassing so keep an eye on the blade for signs.

OMG. I think they reproduce while I'm not looking.
Not sure if photos will be possible. Just the true American pile is growing quickly .
If you include stampings of a US city or business but on the reverse says Germany for example the pile grows geometrically.
And I've only just begun. This will be daunting to say the least. Not sure now if this was I good idea .

I sure will. Thanks for the heads up In fact I think Ill take the red imp out of the scales as they are trash anyway. The temperite already is out of them. Oh I also just picked up a Union Cutlery, Olean NY Straight that really looks like a Red Imp copy. I like that the US straights, while so very fun to collect etc, can be had on the cheap quite often.

Don't go to too much trouble for pics. I can only imagine the stack you must have! lol

9 429
 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM
User Info
Shhhh! Yeah they are overlooked!
But most only see the "popular" names. As a collector ( read ,hoarder) I look at everything. Or should I say I want everything.

Maybe if I shoot groups of maybe 5 at a time would work .
Just the Geneva/Genco will run in the high teens and the others at this point ( early in the search) is mid 20s.
Just a guess but 50 should be reached at this rate of return.

0 777