05-13-2014, 12:05 PM
  • Westaway
  • Lawrenceville, GA
User Info
How do you figure size on the web for purchasing. I have found some handles that I want with a 25mm hole. I want to buy a knot I'm not sure how to match the sizes. The size of the plug that we glue in is not always advertised. Is the plug always slightly smaller than the knot size? I can buy from China on the Bay but would prefer Golden Nib or Whipped Dog. Thanks for any advice.

0 34
 05-13-2014, 12:48 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
You should really decide what height you want the loft set at or at least ballpark. For example lets say you want a silvertip set at 54mm loft. Well it probably comes at 65mm. That means if you bought even a 24mm knot you may need to widen the brush hole just a touch to be able to set it deep enough to achieve your desired loft and have decent splay.. Also when it comes to knot the do vary but they usually are right on or smaller - no larger than stated IME.
In all likelihood you will end u buying a 24mm knot and doing some tweaking to the brush as a 22 would be too small and I have never seen a 23mm knot before.

9 429
 05-13-2014, 12:52 PM
User Info
Great question OP. I was looking for this exact info earlier today.

Thanks for the answer Jim!

Now to decide what knot I'm going to buy.

21 555
 05-13-2014, 05:24 PM
User Info
(05-13-2014, 12:05 PM)Westaway Wrote: How do you figure size on the web for purchasing. I have found some handles that I want with a 25mm hole. I want to buy a knot I'm not sure how to match the sizes. The size of the plug that we glue in is not always advertised. Is the plug always slightly smaller than the knot size? I can buy from China on the Bay but would prefer Golden Nib or Whipped Dog. Thanks for any advice.

I always recommend to use a knot that is 1-2 mm smaller (nominal) that the hole - it depends also a bit on what kind of knot you are getting as well as how deep you want to set the knot in the handle. For TGN two-band finest, this is true. Other knots, sometimes the opening is right.
I would start this from the other end, get knots first and see what hole you would need for the knot size at the loft X.
Then, you could order the handle properly drilled or you open it yourself with some sanding paper.
BTW, it is easier to open up a hole than the other way round.....ask how I know this.

0 174
 05-13-2014, 07:13 PM
  • Westaway
  • Lawrenceville, GA
User Info
Thank you so much for sharing experience. I have found some Olive Wood 25mm handles from Bethlehem that would make wonderful gifts for our sons. Hopefully some Finest Knots in 24mm will work. I can adjust the loft but if the plug is too small I will just save them for when I get my lathe.

0 34
 05-13-2014, 07:30 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
(05-13-2014, 07:13 PM)Westaway Wrote: Thank you so much for sharing experience. I have found some Olive Wood 25mm handles from Bethlehem that would make wonderful gifts for our sons. Hopefully some Finest Knots in 24mm will work. I can adjust the loft but if the plug is too small I will just save them for when I get my lathe.

If the knots are TGN they run about .5mm small so you might be right where you need to depending on your desired loft. Best of luck!
BTW I have one of those handles with a FS Synthetic knot in it. Anyway those handles are beautiful. What a great gift!

9 429