05-13-2014, 03:35 PM
User Info
Got a vintage travel kit. I would guess late 50's/Early 60's.

It was well taken care of but it had its fair use. I want to clean it up for use ready status. I may never take it with me, but if I do I want it sanitary/cleaned up.

How Do I clean/What do I use on:

-The case? Not sure if its leather, it could be immitation.(Im guess its top grain leather off what ive seen on other kits.) How do I clean this up without hurting it or making it oily? Just wanna sanitize it and get off the grime.

-The 2 "Plastic" Cylinders for the Toothbrush & Shave brush? I would guess hot water and soap but not sure.

0 42
 05-14-2014, 04:23 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
A quality leather cleaner and conditioner should work fine on the exterior and other leather pieces. As for the internals and plastics, a scrubbing with soap and hot waster should work well, but I'd also rinse with alcohol, or a germicide.

7 936
 05-14-2014, 05:33 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
If it is leather, wipe exterior with damp cloth, let dry, then treat the leather with some Lexol Leather Treatment.

Inside, wipe down hot damp cloth, apply a very small amount of liquid soap and rub with hot damp cloth. Do three or four hot damp cloth wipe downs to remove any soap residue.

Brush holders, wash in hot water and liquid dish washing soap. Rinse well then fill about 1/4 full with Listerine and shake. Rinse with cold water. They will be sanitized and fresh smelling.

179 23,943
 05-14-2014, 11:10 AM
User Info
Thanks all! Johnny the listerine idea is fantastic!

0 42
 05-14-2014, 07:31 PM
User Info
(05-14-2014, 05:33 AM)Johnny Wrote: If it is leather, wipe exterior with damp cloth, let dry, then treat the leather with some Lexol Leather Treatment.

Inside, wipe down hot damp cloth, apply a very small amount of liquid soap and rub with hot damp cloth. Do three or four hot damp cloth wipe downs to remove any soap residue.

Brush holders, wash in hot water and liquid dish washing soap. Rinse well then fill about 1/4 full with Listerine and shake. Rinse with cold water. They will be sanitized and fresh smelling.

Thanks, Johnny! Biggrin

83 21,115