05-14-2014, 11:44 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Today I shaved with the Trac II razor for the first time. My wife bought me the Gillette Deluxe Trac II set and I used one of the five vintage cartridges that are included in the beautiful case. Wow, I had a shave as smooth as silk! I have a feeling these vintage blades are going to spoil me. This morning I felt I was going back in time, to the mid-seventies, experiencing the same shave my step-dad had those days. It felt a little unreal and revelatory. The Trac II is important because this is the razor my dad used when I was growing up. I often awoke to the sound of him tapping the Trac II against the sink while shaving. With that sound I knew it was time to wake-up and get ready for school.

Nowadays my dad buys whatever disposable razor is on sale. I love those too, but I’ll never forget his old Trac II. And now I have mine. Aces!

Anyone else have some memories with this classic razor?

1 751
 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Sorry to say I have not. As you know until recently, I had never used a cartridge razor. I am beginning to think I was missing out on something. I still have my DE and Injectors locked and loaded setting in reserve, but right now I am really enjoying the cartridge razors I have right now. Well, except for the Mach 3. I have some Mach 3 Turbo Blades coming so I hope they do better than the regular Mach 3 Blades do.

179 23,944
 05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
(05-14-2014, 12:02 PM)Johnny Wrote: Sorry to say I have not. As you know until recently, I had never used a cartridge razor. I am beginning to think I was missing out on something. I still have my DE and Injectors locked and loaded setting in reserve, but right now I am really enjoying the cartridge razors I have right now. Well, except for the Mach 3. I have some Mach 3 Turbo Blades coming so I hope they do better than the regular Mach 3 Blades do.

It was my DE and Injector collecting that reawakened my interest in carts again, I never realized how fun and interesting the shaving way of life could be, especially the history of razors!

Let us know how the Turbo Mach 3's work, I'm curious too.

1 751
 05-14-2014, 01:06 PM
User Info
Trac II is a good razor. It's the first razor I ever used. I very slightly prefer the Atra, though.

And I prefer my DE razors to either cartridge system.

2 1,557
 05-14-2014, 01:37 PM
User Info
I bought a mint one in box a month ago but haven't decided yet if I want to shave with it..or save it the way it is.

It's a Deluxe version of the Gillette Trac II and I must say I really like the way it looks.

[Image: 2aeuk9w.jpg]

0 338
 05-14-2014, 03:24 PM
User Info
The Trac II is the least irritating of the cartridges I've used, though the Sensor and Mach cut closer, so it's been a trade-off for me all along. The last batch of Personna TII blades I used felt especially sharp so made up some of the difference. I've stayed with the original squarish plastic TII handle rather than go with a heavy aftermarket metal one, only because I could never find one that didn't slip in my hand.

The Mach3 and M3 Turbo cartridges performed the same for me, despite the latter having twice the number of microfins and new blade coating. Both their lube strips quit after about the third shave.

29 1,776
 05-14-2014, 03:42 PM
User Info
I started using the Trac II back in 1975 and it is still my favorite cartridge razor. Gillette designed them based on injector handles in which the resemblance can be seen in these early units.

In fact Gillette also made an Injector at the same time which used a single injector blade with two edges instead of one, and also called it the Trac II. I have a couple of these injectors with the blades. Regular injector blades could fit as well as the Trac II injector blades.

Now it is usually a custom handle Trac II that I use over the stock handles since they have better weight and balance.

1 2,827
 05-14-2014, 04:20 PM
User Info
Yes, the Trac II's original handle mimics my Schick N1 and N2 injectors, probably why I like it so. I tried many an aftermarket handle, but the Deluxe's brown and gold is so nice that I'd now rather stick with that.

The only other cartridge razor I'd like to try is this rare-ish Schick Super II. The handle looks pretty substantial without going overboard. I think the metal head doesn't have enough slottage to keep from clogging, and the razors only seem to be available from China, so shipping becomes an issue.

[Image: 7pnkgPR.jpg]

29 1,776
 05-15-2014, 01:16 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
millions of guys started shaving with twinblades when they came out, and never looked back......until, something got lost in the translation, and carts went downhill (IMO) from there afterwards ( ? )
early twinblades from Gillette, Schick, Personna, Wilkinson are a lot like shaving with a mild injector with less blade feel on the skin.

* rsp1202......I have seen that razor and have seen it referred to as a "PASST" razor...
and you're right....they are not easy to find. they look solidly built, but that's just my impression from the pics. not a lot goes into the slot, the main clogging is in between the blades, which, I have noticed is much easier to rinse when traditional prep is used.

0 1,291
 05-15-2014, 02:05 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(05-14-2014, 12:02 PM)Johnny Wrote: Well, except for the Mach 3. I have some Mach 3 Turbo Blades coming so I hope they do better than the regular Mach 3 Blades do.

I always find it interesting that one man's meat is another man's poison. I've used a Mach 3 since it first came on the market. I find the regular blades excellent, but the Turbo blades irritate the heck out of my face.

7 936
 05-15-2014, 02:41 PM
User Info
(05-15-2014, 01:16 PM)OldDog23 Wrote: . . . I have seen that razor and have seen it referred to as a "PASST" razor...

Yes, there's a German seller on ebay, but the business address is Chinese(?), so it all sounds screwy. I still like the looks of the razor, much more than the smaller, later-model Super II's. It's tempting, but I'll pass(t).

29 1,776
 05-16-2014, 04:32 AM
User Info
(05-14-2014, 04:20 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: The only other cartridge razor I'd like to try is this rare-ish Schick Super II. The handle looks pretty substantial without going overboard. I think the metal head doesn't have enough slottage to keep from clogging, and the razors only seem to be available from China, so shipping becomes an issue.

They are easy to find on the bay. I have bought one from a seller with the adjustable cartridges.
Try to do a search with this: "VINTAGE SCHICK RAZOR+4 SUPER II TWIN BLADE CARTRIDGE"

1 78
 05-16-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
The ones you refer to are the later-model(?) Super II's, where the metal tang extends only part way down the handle. I've used them and they're lightweight but shave okay. There are several iterations of the SII; I'd never seen the one in the photo before running across it on eBay. That full tang makes the razor look pretty substantial, even more so than my Schick N1/N2 injectors and original Trac II.

29 1,776
 05-16-2014, 01:47 PM
User Info
(05-16-2014, 09:24 AM)rsp1202 Wrote: The ones you refer to are the later-model(?) Super II's, where the metal tang extends only part way down the handle. I've used them and they're lightweight but shave okay. There are several iterations of the SII; I'd never seen the one in the photo before running across it on eBay. That full tang makes the razor look pretty substantial, even more so than my Schick N1/N2 injectors and original Trac II.

Yes, I was referring to the latest versions. Not know there was an older version. A picture of mine

[Image: Schick_zps1e049f1d.jpg]

1 78
 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM
User Info
Just found this little set. it has been at least 35 years since I have used a trac ii. Now I have to buy some blades and see if I can squeeze it into at least one use. It might be my travel razor.
[Image: 20140623_221030.jpg]

0 286
 06-25-2014, 03:38 AM
User Info
(06-24-2014, 08:45 PM)Roderick Wrote: Just found this little set. it has been at least 35 years since I have used a trac ii. Now I have to buy some blades and see if I can squeeze it into at least one use. It might be my travel razor.
[Image: 20140623_221030.jpg]

Beautiful set congratulations and use it well.

122 13,221
 06-26-2014, 12:17 PM
User Info
I must admit I do enjoy my Trac (thanks again, Johnny) - and I use it often.
If I need a guaranteed BBS with zero risk of damage it is my tool of choice.

6 862
 06-29-2014, 01:32 PM
User Info
The Trac II was (and is) the only cartridge razor I have liked.

129 6,685
 06-29-2014, 05:11 PM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
I do use my Trac II at least 3~4 times per month. Mostly for touch ups, but occasionally for a full shave. One cart is good for around 20 shaves. I also keep one in my travel bag and one in the camp trailer (who shaves when they're camping??) Angel

I was in a WalMart in Grand Junction, CO about a year ago. They had Wilkinson Sword Trac II 10-pack cartridges on sale for $2.50 each. They had ten packages left, so I bought them all! That should last me quite a long time!

~Frank

18 271
 06-29-2014, 05:27 PM
User Info
OK, I admit it, I have a addiction problem. I've not used a cart in years .... and what am I doing? Looking at solid metal Trac II handles on eBay. Facepalm

129 6,685