05-15-2014, 12:06 PM
User Info
I'm a new De shaver and just wondering how you guys keep your brushes looking so nice. My brushes seem to look worse after each use. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

115 1,005
 05-15-2014, 01:22 PM
User Info
Unless you have a very high concentration of minerals in your water, a good rinse under tap-water after your shaves should do the trick. I have never done anything else to many of my brushes which I have had for almost 3 years and they all look like-new.

You could always give them a bath in a vinegar/water solution for a few minutes and then wash with a mild soap.
Good luck.

Do you have a pic of your brushes?

83 21,078
 05-15-2014, 01:42 PM
User Info
(05-15-2014, 01:22 PM)celestino Wrote: Unless you have a very high concentration of minerals in your water, a good rinse under tap-water after your shaves should do the trick. I have never done anything else to many of my brushes which I have had for almost 3 years and they all look like-new.

You could always give them a bath in a vinegar/water solution for a few minutes and then wash with a mild soap.
Good luck.

We're on city water so the only problems I have are high concentration of chloramine, which I hope to remedy soon. My biggest problem is the hairs look scraggly for a lack of a better term ,maybe I'm being to forceful with the brushes when I use them. When I get home tonight I'll try to get some pics and thanks for the suggestions.

115 1,005
 05-15-2014, 01:49 PM
User Info
When you say they look worse after each use, what do they look like? You say "scraggly", that makes me think you might be mashing them a little to much when loading or lathering.

Also, what kind of brushes are you using (boar, badger, synthetic, mixture)? Lastly, post a pic. I'm sure some of the guys on here could easily look and tell you what you're doing wrong.

Oh, and WELCOME!

21 555
 05-15-2014, 02:01 PM
User Info
(05-15-2014, 01:49 PM)BriDroid Wrote: When you say they look worse after each use, what do they look like? You say "scraggly", that makes me think you might be mashing them a little to much when loading or lathering.

Also, what kind of brushes are you using (boar, badger, synthetic, mixture)? Lastly, post a pic. I'm sure some of the guys on here could easily look and tell you what you're doing wrong.

Oh, and WELCOME!

[Image: ymy9y6e6.jpg]. Not sure how good the pick is hopefully you can see what I mean. I use every kind of brush except synthetic. Thanks for the welcome,I really enjoy all the great info on this forum.

115 1,005
 05-15-2014, 09:02 PM
User Info
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pic.
Do you have a photo of the brush(es) from the front view, or them standing? What kind of knot is that?

83 21,078
 05-16-2014, 02:41 AM
User Info
(05-15-2014, 01:42 PM)essrbc11 Wrote:
(05-15-2014, 01:22 PM)celestino Wrote: Unless you have a very high concentration of minerals in your water, a good rinse under tap-water after your shaves should do the trick. I have never done anything else to many of my brushes which I have had for almost 3 years and they all look like-new.

Good luck.

We're on city water so the only problems I have are high concentration of chloramine, which I hope to remedy soon. My biggest problem is the hairs look scraggly for a lack of a better term ,maybe I'm being to forceful with the brushes when I use them. When I get home tonight I'll try to get some pics and thanks for the suggestions.

You mention a 'high concentration of chloromine' in your tap water. Don't know where you live but typically chloromine, a disinfectant combination of ammonia and chlorine, is kept to about 3 PPM (parts per million) in tap water. We use the same disinfectant where I live, and we have fairly hard water, but I find that a quick shampoo after each shave keeps my brushes in good condition...

0 14
 05-16-2014, 02:53 AM
User Info
(05-16-2014, 02:41 AM)Jivey Wrote:
(05-15-2014, 01:42 PM)essrbc11 Wrote:

Good luck.

You mention a 'high concentration of chloromine' in your tap water. Don't know where you live but typically chloromine, a disinfectant combination of ammonia and chlorine, is kept to about 3 PPM (parts per million) in tap water. We use the same disinfectant where I live, and we have fairly hard water, but I find that a quick shampoo after each shave keeps my brushes in good condition...

Hey jivey, I had my water tested two weeks ago and the water guy said the reading was at 40 ppm . He said that was the worst he had seen in 25 years,I'm scheduled to have a filter installed next week and I'm thinking that's gonna significantly help my problem.

115 1,005
 05-16-2014, 09:18 AM
User Info
If you think it's the water, you can always try shampooing it and then giving it a rinse in some vinegar/water mix. I do that with mine every couple of months and they stay nice and clean. Sometimes I even use some of my wife's "fancy" conditioner on them. They are hair after-all, right?

21 555
 05-16-2014, 11:42 AM
User Info
(05-16-2014, 09:18 AM)BriDroid Wrote: If you think it's the water, you can always try shampooing it and then giving it a rinse in some vinegar/water mix. I do that with mine every couple of months and they stay nice and clean. Sometimes I even use some of my wife's "fancy" conditioner on them. They are hair after-all, right?

I'll definitely try that, I'm thinking a good cleaning like you've suggested getting my water straightened out and less pressure while using them will do the trick. I just received a new Rudy vey as an early fathers day present and I'm a little nervous to use it until I get my water filter.Thanks for all the help guys

115 1,005
 05-16-2014, 01:20 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
If it's a boar brush chances are when it dried it just dried with an odd shape unless you brushed it on a dry towel after rinsing. After I rinse my brushes (very) thoroughly I do a few circular and paintbrush strokes on a dry towel. Then use my fingers to lightly reshape (usually not much is needed.) That has been enough to keep my brushes looking new.

14 871
 05-16-2014, 03:25 PM
User Info
(05-16-2014, 02:53 AM)essrbc11 Wrote:
(05-16-2014, 02:41 AM)Jivey Wrote:
(05-15-2014, 01:42 PM)essrbc11 Wrote: We're on city water so the only problems I have are high concentration of chloramine, which I hope to remedy soon. My biggest problem is the hairs look scraggly for a lack of a better term ,maybe I'm being to forceful with the brushes when I use them. When I get home tonight I'll try to get some pics and thanks for the suggestions.

Hey jivey, I had my water tested two weeks ago and the water guy said the reading was at 40 ppm . He said that was the worst he had seen in 25 years,I'm scheduled to have a filter installed next week and I'm thinking that's gonna significantly help my problem.

Wow... That doesn't sound right at all, unless the water utility in your area is doing a distribution system purge of some sort, but I'll check with some who knows more than me (which is just about everyone) and report back...

0 14
 05-16-2014, 03:27 PM
User Info
(05-16-2014, 03:25 PM)Jivey Wrote:
(05-16-2014, 02:53 AM)essrbc11 Wrote:
(05-16-2014, 02:41 AM)Jivey Wrote: You mention a 'high concentration of chloromine' in your tap water. Don't know where you live but typically chloromine, a disinfectant combination of ammonia and chlorine, is kept to about 3 PPM (parts per million) in tap water. We use the same disinfectant where I live, and we have fairly hard water, but I find that a quick shampoo after each shave keeps my brushes in good condition...

Wow... That doesn't sound right at all, unless the water utility in your area is doing a distribution system purge of some sort, but I'll check with some who knows more than me (which is just about everyone) and report back...

Thanks I would appreciate it.

115 1,005