05-15-2014, 12:14 PM
User Info
I've really enjoyed Catie's Bubbles. I've tried a number of artisan soaps and this is the one that get's me thinking that its time to get rid of MdC.

I've also seen a lot of used pots on the BST recently so maybe I'm not the only one...

Anyone else considering getting rid of MdC?

33 548
 05-15-2014, 12:16 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I'm with you on the Catie's Bubbles. Great great stuff!

58 1,312
 05-15-2014, 12:23 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Always thought MdC was over priced for what it is and founr it to be so when I got my jar of it. It is a good soap, no taking that away from it, but there are other less cost soaps that provide as good a shave for me. Sell my jar of MdC? No, I'll use it up to re enforce the lesson.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-15-2014, 12:34 PM
User Info
I think MdC of all variety is top notch. I own multiple jars (left 3 jars of Fougere in Indiana..hope to get them back in the divorce) with that said....I love La Toja stick almost as much

19 775
 05-15-2014, 12:45 PM
User Info
I don't even think MDC is overpriced, I just think it is slightly overrated. I think soap is so subjective. I like heavy, oily, moisturizing soaps like Tiki. MDC is lighter, fluffier and I think that appeals more to some.

So for me, better than MDC are LASS, Tiki, Jabonman, Prairie Creations.

We may have different tastes though as I did not like Catie's Bubbles.

I will say that MDC is probably the easiest soap to lather.

32 344
 05-15-2014, 12:47 PM
User Info
MdC is my only big name brand still around. That said, since I've added Catie's Bubbles, Soap Commander, Dapper Dragon, and Tiki to my Nook the MdC gets neglected.

When I can get 3 different scents from Catie's Bubbles and more than 3x the soap for the cost of a single MdC, it's a no-brainer. The current crop of artisan soapers are hands down some of the best options in traditional shaving regardless of price.

31 8,058
 05-15-2014, 12:50 PM
User Info
I sold both of my MdC jars, not because I disliked the soap, but mainly to focus on the vintage tallow-based English soaps that I prefer.

207 12,353
 05-15-2014, 01:05 PM
User Info
(05-15-2014, 12:47 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: The current crop of artisan soapers are hands down some of the best options in traditional shaving regardless of price.

+1

Tried it, parted with it within a week. Not my cup of tea. Biggrin

83 21,110
 05-15-2014, 01:15 PM
User Info
I think a lot of soaps are better than MdC. I'm probably biased because I dislike the scent quite a bit.

I prefer MW, RazoRock, Stirling, and Barrister and Mann, for starters.

2 1,552
 05-15-2014, 01:20 PM
User Info
(05-15-2014, 12:47 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: MdC is my only big name brand still around. That said, since I've added Catie's Bubbles, Soap Commander, Dapper Dragon, and Tiki to my Nook the MdC gets neglected.

When I can get 3 different scents from Catie's Bubbles and more than 3x the soap for the cost of a single MdC, it's a no-brainer. The current crop of artisan soapers are hands down some of the best options in traditional shaving regardless of price.

Brian, I am in your corner in that most of the artisan soaps I have tried are better than MDC in terms of scent and performance.

I disagree with you on value. I had a jar of MDC that I alternated with MWF for about 6 months. These were the only two soaps I used. After 6 months of use, the MDC literally looked almost the same as the day I got it. It is never-ending and to me, is a great value as you can usually get it for around $50 on the BST. I think it would easily last 4 or 5 times as long as some of the artisan soft soaps.

32 344
 05-15-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
Don't get me wrong, MdC is a great soap...I just think that within the category of MdC type Soaps, LASS and Caties Bubbles are my favorite, with CB getting the edge as I like their scents.

33 548
 05-15-2014, 02:29 PM
User Info
Martin De Candre is certainly one of the most discussed soaps.

Personally, I think that it may be the finest shave soap currently being produced. I have two jars at the moment; the open jar has been used in rotation since late 2012 and I am just below the neck of the jar, so I dont consider it an expensive product over the long haul.

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend it over other premium products that I have used; some of which may be even more expensive than MdC (Santa Marie Novella and Aqui di Parma).

Finally, I believe MdC to be one of the least risky shaving products you can try - regardless of price. You can buy direct or by calling Damon at Old Town Shaving; if you dont care for it or think it isnt "worth the price" - you can recoup almost all of your investment on B/S/T.

It is the few premium products and the only artisan soap that I have tried that was worth keeping in my rotation. I am just about done with trying artisan soaps, as they have consistently underwhelmed me, but I will give Barrister & Mann a shot because I can buy it locally,

As always, You Mileage May Vary

8 240
 05-15-2014, 06:15 PM
User Info
(05-15-2014, 01:20 PM)fbones24 Wrote:
(05-15-2014, 12:47 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: MdC is my only big name brand still around. That said, since I've added Catie's Bubbles, Soap Commander, Dapper Dragon, and Tiki to my Nook the MdC gets neglected.

Brian, I am in your corner in that most of the artisan soaps I have tried are better than MDC in terms of scent and performance.

I disagree with you on value. I had a jar of MDC that I alternated with MWF for about 6 months. These were the only two soaps I used. After 6 months of use, the MDC literally looked almost the same as the day I got it. It is never-ending and to me, is a great value as you can usually get it for around $50 on the BST. I think it would easily last 4 or 5 times as long as some of the artisan soft soaps.

I never said it was poor value. I got 136 shaves from a single pot. I'm currently journaling all my soap usage and will eventually have a true number to put to the artisans as well so it can be a real side-by-side comparison. Real value on any soap is still going to be variable as it will depend on how much you use per shave for the lather you like to shave with. Then, once you know the number of shaves you can determine your cost per shave. Given the lower up front cost and the perceived efficiency of these artisans I still think that the better value will end up being the artisans. Time will tell for me and it will for you if you keep track of your shaves as well.

31 8,058
 05-15-2014, 07:56 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
A lot of things. ;-)
I know that's gonna start a riot.

But I was one who got horrendous rashing all over, face and neck (forget the word "irritation", because it was way worse than that). Happened in both Fougere and Original scents, so I don't know what the cause was, because the ingredients list is very basic, as you all know.
The rash would fade to general discoloration and would last about a week or so.

These are currently my favorites of the current production products (not ranked):
AoS creams
AdP jar or tube (yes, new)
Castle Forbes
Czech & Speake
Floris cream (haven't yet tried the new soaps)
I Coloniali puck
SMN (yes, new)

Recently discontinued:
XPEC (IMO, will not/can not be equalled)
AoS tallow soaps
Spencer & Devon creams

My .02, prolly worth .002

62 3,006
 05-16-2014, 01:42 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
MdC is great, definitely my personal favorite, but then I've only permanently banned one soap line from the den, and that's Mystic Water. Lot's of great soaps out there.

17 550
 05-16-2014, 04:40 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I'm not a fan of MdC mainly because of the scent. There are soaps I'd rather use even on a performance level.
WSO, Tiki, CB, Stirling and a few more that do all I require of a shaving soap.

12 743
 05-16-2014, 06:23 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Staying within the same realm as MdC (veggie, simple ingredients) I think LASS, Tiki, and B&M Tre Citta are excellent considerations.

34 1,627
 05-16-2014, 06:25 AM
User Info
I liked MdC when I used it. I even liked the scent. But I didn't find it to be in a class of its own. Though there comes a point where it becomes difficult to say that something performs better or worse than its fellows, because they all perform so well.

And for me, several soaps have performed just as well, and with better skin care. RazoRock King Louis Lavender, Provence Sante, Spencer & Devon, Barrister & Mann.

(I also think that Dapper Dragon matches it, but since it's designed for my face first, that makes perfect sense.)

10 1,858
 05-16-2014, 07:36 AM
User Info
For me, the fact that the jar will last forever is just another negative.

I generally want soaps that don't last forever, because I like variety and I like to try new soaps, and I don't want to have 100 soaps sitting around.

And I'm sure I'd get way more than 150 shaves from a jar of MdC; I got over 140 from a tub of Mama Bear's! I'd probably get 350 or 400 out of MdC. By then, even if I really liked it, I'd be sick of it.

2 1,552
 05-16-2014, 07:50 AM
User Info
An easy soap to lather but that is where MdC ends for me. Had twice, sold twice.
Think JabonMan, Mike's, and the more recent UK offering of Wickham soaps. Easily better in every department and for a more realistic price.

32 5,293