05-15-2014, 04:13 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Okay, for the past six days I have been alternating shaves between the Gillette Fusion Proglide Power and the Schick Hydro 5 Power razors. First, here are the two razors.

[Image: x3BRMtx.jpg] [Image: tdap7nb.jpg]

I started with the Gillette and finished with the Schick.

[Image: PvupJ7e.jpg] [Image: fKqDXnv.jpg] [Image: Yb4bphh.jpg]
[Image: Z5YLraJ.jpg] [Image: bMML9fy.jpg] [Image: zI1JGd0.jpg]

Features:

Both razors have a power switch which lights up. The Gillette is on top, the Schick is on bottom. The Gillette has one speed, the Schick has three speeds, although I don't know why other than a marketing tool. The first two speeds are absolutely useless.

Both have a gel strip. The Gillette strip is actually impregnated with the gel and it start to fade after three or four shaves. The Schick is actually a sealed chamber that has the gel in it. The Schick dispenses more of the gel which makes it very tacky/slimy. I personally did not care for it.

Both have an additional trimmer blade on top for sideburns and such. The Gillette is always exposed but you have to flip the little white section back on the Schick to use this feature and it is cumbersome and gets in the way.

It is easy to attach and unattach the blade cartridge from both razors.

Five blades is a lot of blades and without the power feature I could not use either on the first pass without some discomfort and pulling. No I do not believe the power feature has anything to do with helping to raise the whiskers. There is just something about that high speed vibration/buzz that helps make it very smooth. I used this feature on the first pass only. Neither razor requires any pressure to make it work. I see absolutely no problem getting 7-10 shaves out of a cartridge.

Gillette Pros:

Single speed power switch
Nimble around the nose area
Balanced feel in the hand
Almost BBS in two passes
Little to no irritation
Two nice color options, the Blue and the Silver Touch

Gillette Cons:

Well, eventually you have to replace the AAA battery
Cost of shave cartridges

Schick Pros:

Substantial handle and looks
Blade cartridges are a little less than the Gillette
Protective strip last longer

Schick Cons:

Protective strip is actually a gel and is very tacky and slimy.
Eventually you will have to replace the battery
Three speeds when only one is needed
Quality of the shave.

For some reason the Schick was always uncomfortable for me to use. Maybe it has something to do with the blade angle.

So there you have it, my opinion. Hands down the Gillette was my favorite of the two and will see regular use in my rotation.

If anyone is interested, keep your eye on the PIF section. I will be moving the Schick on to someone else.

178 23,809
 05-15-2014, 04:27 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice comparison and review, Johnny.

102 18,652
 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM
User Info
I'm tempted to use the last cartridge on my Fusion. How do you deal with clogging? I remember having to use my thumb to get the hairs out every time I rinsed.

4 355
 05-15-2014, 05:18 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I had no problems clogging with either razor. I make a pass and rinse, make another pass and rinse, and so on.

178 23,809
 05-16-2014, 07:45 AM
User Info
Thanks for the report, Johnny! Smile

83 21,078
 05-16-2014, 12:10 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Thanks for the detailed review Johnny. Aces!

I had the Hydro 5 in mind for awhile now, but I think I'll wait to get one.

(05-15-2014, 05:18 PM)Johnny Wrote: I had no problems clogging with either razor. I make a pass and rinse, make another pass and rinse, and so on.

That's what I do too. I never have problems with clogging with the Fusion ProGlide blades.

1 750
 05-16-2014, 12:14 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-16-2014, 12:10 PM)Leo K. Wrote: Thanks for the detailed review Johnny. Aces!

I had the Hydro 5 in mind for awhile now, but I think I'll wait to get one.

(05-15-2014, 05:18 PM)Johnny Wrote: I had no problems clogging with either razor. I make a pass and rinse, make another pass and rinse, and so on.

That's what I do too. I never have problems with clogging with the Fusion ProGlide blades.

Todd, looking forward to your findings on the Hydro 5 I sent you.

178 23,809
 05-23-2014, 09:26 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Thanks to Johnny's PIF I've been using the Schick Hydro 5 Power razor for the last two days. So far I like it. I like the weight and feel of the handle. The Schick cartridge blades shave at a different angle than the Gillette Fusion, and it's a comfy shave.

I rather like the slick and gooey shave the gel strip provides. During parts of the first and second pass I've been flipping back the gel strip to shave closer, and that works well. Then I flip the protective strip back into place and continue.

After a week or so I'll be able to judge the Schick better. Aces!

1 750
 05-23-2014, 09:30 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Todd. Just goes to show no two people are alike, and that's probably a good thing.

178 23,809
 05-23-2014, 09:49 AM
User Info
I've been using this for the past 3 shaves. It's absolutely brilliant. So easy to get bbs once you get used to it.

I find it needs a thin and slick lather. The slimy strip for me was much better on shave 2 onwards.

There is something about these blades which gives me a great shave with ZERO irritation.

Overall, a great razor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 1,182
 05-23-2014, 02:47 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
I bought the Schick/Wilkinson Sword Hydro 3 quite a while ago and recently gave it a try but couldn't get on with it. If I haven't binned it I should probably give it another go.

0 132
 05-23-2014, 04:37 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
(05-23-2014, 09:49 AM)Dipesh Wrote: I've been using this for the past 3 shaves. It's absolutely brilliant. So easy to get bbs once you get used to it.

I find it needs a thin and slick lather. The slimy strip for me was much better on shave 2 onwards.

There is something about these blades which gives me a great shave with ZERO irritation.

Overall, a great razor.

Thanks for your report. I'd like to add my face feels refreshed for a long time after using the Hydro 5 Power.

Thanks for the advice on the lather. I will try that tomorrow. Aces!

1 750
 05-25-2014, 03:04 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
I continue to be impressed by the Schick Hydro 5 Power. I don't usually shave on weekends but that has changed, it's a fun razor to use and there's absolutely no tugging or pulling. It feels so comfortable and easy on my face. Aces!

1 750
 05-26-2014, 12:07 AM
User Info
I used mine again last night. I did one pass N-S and a little touch up on my cheeks. BBS and my skin felt perfect and it took about 3 minutes.

To get this good of a shave with a safety razor I'd have to go for 3 passes and it would take longer too.

I really am so pleased with it.

7 1,182
 05-26-2014, 06:32 AM
User Info
<sigh> I really don't want to go there (battery power and five blades). But this is getting hard to resist.
Maybe the Flexball? Argghhh!

29 1,776
 05-26-2014, 01:30 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Do the Hydro 3 blades fit on the Hydro 5 Power handle? Does the power thing make any difference at all?

0 132
 05-26-2014, 01:50 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
(05-26-2014, 01:30 PM)Exapno Wrote: Do the Hydro 3 blades fit on the Hydro 5 Power handle? Does the power thing make any difference at all?

Yes they do, and yes, the power feature makes a big difference, YMMV Smile

1 750
 05-26-2014, 02:12 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Good to know. I really can't see an advantage of 5 blades over 3 but the handle might change the experience. Another one for the "to try" list I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 132
 05-26-2014, 03:01 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-26-2014, 01:50 PM)Leo K. Wrote:
(05-26-2014, 01:30 PM)Exapno Wrote: Do the Hydro 3 blades fit on the Hydro 5 Power handle? Does the power thing make any difference at all?

Yes they do, and yes, the power feature makes a big difference, YMMV Smile

Hmmmmmmm, I did not know that. Might need to rethink my options here.

178 23,809
 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM
User Info
Much preferred the 3-blade Hydro to the 5-.

29 1,776