05-26-2014, 07:48 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
(05-26-2014, 12:07 AM)Dipesh Wrote: I used mine again last night. I did one pass N-S and a little touch up on my cheeks. BBS and my skin felt perfect and it took about 3 minutes.

To get this good of a shave with a safety razor I'd have to go for 3 passes and it would take longer too.

I really am so pleased with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dipesh, do you use the power handle or the manual handle?

I'm getting near BBS with the Schick Hydro because I can go across the grain without problems, a rarity for me!

1 750
 05-26-2014, 10:08 PM
User Info
(05-26-2014, 07:48 PM)Leo K. Wrote:
(05-26-2014, 12:07 AM)Dipesh Wrote: I used mine again last night. I did one pass N-S and a little touch up on my cheeks. BBS and my skin felt perfect and it took about 3 minutes.

To get this good of a shave with a safety razor I'd have to go for 3 passes and it would take longer too.

I'm getting near BBS with the Schick Hydro because I can go across the grain without problems, a rarity for me!

This time round in using the manual handle.

We had Wilkinson Sword come to my work place and they gave away the power handle to me. I didn't like the razor at all and found the vibrate a bit of a distraction.

This time round I have the manual one, I think the shave is much better.

7 1,182
 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
(05-26-2014, 10:08 PM)Dipesh Wrote:
(05-26-2014, 07:48 PM)Leo K. Wrote:

We had Wilkinson Sword come to my work place and they gave away the power handle to me. I didn't like the razor at all and found the vibrate a bit of a distraction.

Thanks, I haven't tried the manual handle yet, but Johnny PIF'd me one and I'll try that soon! Aces!

1 750
 05-27-2014, 10:29 AM
User Info
(05-27-2014, 10:28 AM)Leo K. Wrote:
(05-26-2014, 10:08 PM)Dipesh Wrote:
(05-26-2014, 07:48 PM)Leo K. Wrote: Dipesh, do you use the power handle or the manual handle?

Thanks, I haven't tried the manual handle yet, but Johnny PIF'd me one and I'll try that soon! Aces!

I don't think the manual/power handle thing makes a difference to be honest. Just don't turn the powered handle on!

7 1,182
 06-04-2014, 09:00 AM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
12th day with my Hydro 5 and the shaves are still satisfying with smooth close comfy shaves! I really LOVE the Schick Hydro 5. Aces!

1 750
 06-06-2014, 01:49 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-04-2014, 09:00 AM)Leo K. Wrote: 12th day with my Hydro 5 and the shaves are still satisfying with smooth close comfy shaves! I really LOVE the Schick Hydro 5. Aces!

I have been using the (manual handle) Schick Hydro razor for a couple of years (until this March, using Hydro 5 cartridges, the last two months, using Hydro 3 cartridges), and it is the best cartridge razor that I have used in 45 years of using cartridge razors exclusively, including stints of a couple years or more with all of the following: Wilkinson Bonded Blade System, Gillette Trac II, Gillette Atra, Gillette Sensor, Gillette Mach 3, and Schick Quattro Titanium razors. The Schick Hydro 5 was an upgrade from the Schick Quattro Titanium, but I can discern no difference whatsoever in shaving performance between the Schick Hydro 5 and the Schick Hydro 3.

More or less simultaneous with my back-leveling from the Hydro 5 to the Hydro 3 (handles are identical, only the cartridges are different), I started using a double-edge razor for the first time in my life (it is a Standard Razors Raw, which I am fitting with Gillette Silver Blue Blades), and I have been alternating, roughly by week, between the Schick Hydro 3 and the Standard Razors/Silver Blue DE razors for the past six or eight weeks. I am using identical pre-shave prep, shaving soaps and creams, and lathering techniques with the two razors, changing blades in the respective razors when the blade starts to feel dull, not before.

So far, the Schick Hydro 3 is in a comfortable lead, generally giving me closer shaves and, of course, much faster shaves. I never have experienced a nick or weeper with any Schick Hydro blade -- I am not even sure whether it is possible to nick oneself with a Hydro blade -- but I can pretty much count on getting a weeper every day, and a real nick every third day or so, with the DE razor.

Of course, my technique using a DE razor has a LOT of catching up to do, but I am having a lot of trouble getting a close shave with the DE razor around the extreme corners of my lips and the Fu Manchu part of what would be a moustache if I were to sport one, areas that I mow down with ease with the Schick Hydro 3.

I have committed myself to continue this experiment through the end of my initial blade purchase of 25 Gillette Silver Blues, and I still have not finished the first pack of five DE blades, so the experiment has a while to go. But if I were to shut down the experiment today, the Schick Hydro 3 would be the clear winner over the DE Standard Razors with Gillette Silver Blue blades.

0 1,049
 06-07-2014, 04:25 AM
User Info
I use cartridge shavers when travelling. The Schick Hydro 5 has been the best blade by quite a margin. I get about 5-7 comfortable shaves from them whereas the Gillette Proglide lasts for about 3-4 shaves. I also find the actual blades to be more rigid than the Proglide, making for a more comfortable shave at least for my hair type. The trimmer on the Schick Hydro 5 for me is better as the gel strip flips back making it easier to trim sideburns and below the nose.

[Image: 5vwg.jpg]

That said, my favourite cartridge is the Gillette Sensor with it's low-tech two blades Cool I find this little cart such a pleasure to use and they can be picked up for a very reasonable price. Ofcourse what you choose to put them on is another matter Biggrin

[Image: ci31.jpg]

23 474
 06-07-2014, 05:27 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
mixer, I like you Gillette Sensor. Nice handle.

175 23,752
 06-07-2014, 06:07 AM
User Info
(06-07-2014, 05:27 AM)Johnny Wrote: mixer, I like you Gillette Sensor. Nice handle.

+1.

Is that a pils one?

7 1,182
 06-07-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
(06-07-2014, 04:25 AM)mixershave Wrote: [Image: ci31.jpg]

* That is a great-looking cart!!

82 21,056
 06-10-2014, 03:19 AM
User Info
(06-07-2014, 06:07 AM)Dipesh Wrote:
(06-07-2014, 05:27 AM)Johnny Wrote: mixer, I like you Gillette Sensor. Nice handle.

+1.

Is that a pils one?

Yes, it's the Pils. The quality is superb like their DE razor.

23 474
 06-16-2014, 12:46 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Very nice handle, comes in some nice colour combinations and options too. It's just a little out of my price range sadly.

0 132
 07-18-2016, 02:42 AM
User Info
(05-15-2014, 04:13 PM)Johnny Wrote: Okay, for the past six days I have been alternating shaves between the Gillette Fusion Proglide Power and the Schick Hydro 5 Power razors. First, here are the two razors.

[Image: x3BRMtx.jpg] [Image: tdap7nb.jpg]

I started with the Gillette and finished with the Schick.

[Image: PvupJ7e.jpg] [Image: fKqDXnv.jpg] [Image: Yb4bphh.jpg]
[Image: Z5YLraJ.jpg] [Image: bMML9fy.jpg] [Image: zI1JGd0.jpg]

Features:

Both razors have a power switch which lights up. The Gillette is on top, the Schick is on bottom. The Gillette has one speed, the Schick has three speeds, although I don't know why other than a marketing tool. The first two speeds are absolutely useless.

Both have a gel strip. The Gillette strip is actually impregnated with the gel and it start to fade after three or four shaves. The Schick is actually a sealed chamber that has the gel in it. The Schick dispenses more of the gel which makes it very tacky/slimy. I personally did not care for it.

Both have an additional trimmer blade on top for sideburns and such. The Gillette is always exposed but you have to flip the little white section back on the Schick to use this feature and it is cumbersome and gets in the way.

It is easy to attach and unattach the blade cartridge from both razors.

Five blades is a lot of blades and without the power feature I could not use either on the first pass without some discomfort and pulling. No I do not believe the power feature has anything to do with helping to raise the whiskers. There is just something about that high speed vibration/buzz that helps make it very smooth. I used this feature on the first pass only. Neither razor requires any pressure to make it work. I see absolutely no problem getting 7-10 shaves out of a cartridge.

Gillette Pros:

Single speed power switch
Nimble around the nose area
Balanced feel in the hand
Almost BBS in two passes
Little to no irritation
Two nice color options, the Blue and the Silver Touch

Gillette Cons:

Well, eventually you have to replace the AAA battery
Cost of shave cartridges

Schick Pros:

Substantial handle and looks
Blade cartridges are a little less than the Gillette
Protective strip last longer

Schick Cons:

Protective strip is actually a gel and is very tacky and slimy.
Eventually you will have to replace the battery
Three speeds when only one is needed
Quality of the shave.

For some reason the Schick was always uncomfortable for me to use. Maybe it has something to do with the blade angle.

So there you have it, my opinion. Hands down the Gillette was my favorite of the two and will see regular use in my rotation.

If anyone is interested, keep your eye on the PIF section. I will be moving the Schick on to someone else.

I've used Hydro 5 for about a year, and for me it's the best shave I've ever had.  The handle is well balanced, the head pivots well, and the closeness of the shave can't be beat.  I have to defend the lubricating strip; I find it smooth and slippery as opposed to tacky and slimy - like all things it's just a matter of preference.   The trimmer is only okay, the adjustable guard has to be forced into your desired setting, but it beats having to carry a separate trimmer when travelling.

0 1
 07-19-2016, 12:51 PM
User Info
Power does feel nice.  Just a vibrator for your face.  Everyone likes vibrators  LOL

1 53