05-12-2012, 09:57 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
My tradere head arrived yesterday, so this morning was the first shave with the combined head/handle combo for me.

Unfortunately, it was not the best day to do an initial shave test as there were many variables changed. Instead of shaving in peace and silence at 4:30, I slept in and was shaving in noise and distractions with wife/daughter coming up to ask/tell/report on things so I was distracted. I was in a hurry, and to top that off, my lather wasn't the best, so anything about the shave quality needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Anyway...
  • It is a nice heavy razor. It is certainly easy to let the weight of the razor do all the work. Loaded with blade it shows up on my scale as 123 g (about 4.34 oz).
  • The tabs to hold the blade in place was on the cap, unlike the iKon H2O that has them on the base.
  • The tabs were longer and thicker than the iKon.
  • I found it much easier to load a blade in the Tradere than the iKon. The tabs held the blade securely in the cap. The blade seated well without any opportunity to wiggle or be less than lock down straight when the head was screwed down.
  • The curvature on the side of the head was less pronounced than the iKon. It fit my thick fingers better, and I liked the grip lines in the inset curve.
  • The grip was great - no worries about the handle. I have been using the handle for a while and it is a champ!
  • The balance was great. I have had heavy razors where the upstroke was a mess and the balance just wasn't there. I didn't have to think about grip or balance, it just worked.
  • Acoustics? I didn't notice, people were talking to me. I will have to have a good listen next time.
  • Aggressiveness? Well, I got a few tiny microweepers, I didn't feel anything but there were red dots. I don't usually get myself like that anymore, so either the razor is a touch aggressive, my lather was poor, or I wasn't paying attention. As we already established that my lather wasn't 100% and I was distracted, I don't know that I know anything about the aggressiveness of this razor yet.
  • Shave quality - some of my trouble spots are BBS (yay!), but on the other hand, some of my normally BBS spots were not (huh?). Dunno... but I had non-stop chatter the entire shave and by the end of the shave was not paying attention.

0 253
 05-12-2012, 10:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review, in spite of your distractions, thank-you.

Phil has sold out of his first shipment already.

I keep checking my Inbox, but no invoice yet!

91 17,835
 05-12-2012, 10:05 AM
User Info
A "real life" review, with all the variables and distractions. Great.

184 12,003
 05-12-2012, 10:25 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
OK this is my result...had complete silence..no distractions and had a magnificent preparation and lather using the KENT crean and the super Large Thater also purchased from Phil.....Best razor I have ever used...Super grip and feel on the handle...absolute perfect balance between TOO MILD and Rip your face off TOO AGRESSIVE (R41)...I have every Feather,Ikon,Cobra and Merkur,Muhle (I like the Progress)..but I LOVE this razor..absolute perfection and intelligent design..just my opinion but Perfection is hard to beat...might be time to clear out the cave and make a TRADERE SHRINE...really do we need all these razors when we finally obtain what was previously UNOBTAINABLE...not any more..I would buy one if you can...close your E-Bay account and just buy shave creams,bowls and brushes (still gotta shop)RolleyesAaaaa

6 1,913
 05-12-2012, 10:33 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
(05-12-2012, 10:25 AM)Harvey Wrote: OK this is my result...had complete silence..no distractions and had a magnificent preparation and lather using the KENT crean and the super Large Thater also purchased from Phil.....Best razor I have ever used...Super grip and feel on the handle...absolute perfect balance between TOO MILD and Rip your face off TOO AGRESSIVE (R41)...I have every Feather,Ikon,Cobra and Merkur,Muhle (I like the Progress)..but I LOVE this razor..absolute perfection and intelligent design..just my opinion but Perfection is hard to beat...might be time to clear out the cave and make a TRADERE SHRINE...really do we need all these razors when we finally obtain what was previously UNOBTAINABLE...not any more..I would buy one if you can...close your E-Bay account and just buy shave creams,bowls and brushes (still gotta shop)RolleyesAaaaa

LOL.. you make a wonderful point there. However, I think I still have a warm spot in my heart for my Weber with the bull dog handle. I think it is awesome that we have some new Stainless steel options and that someone in the U.S.A. thinks it is worth their time to make quality razors!

0 253
 05-12-2012, 10:45 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Good point..how about an American SHRINE for Weber and TRADERE..the Weber is also a nice razor but the TRADERE is a great razor !!!

6 1,913
 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Before I bought another shave item, I would invest in a lock for the bathroom door.Smile

173 23,519
 05-12-2012, 09:58 PM
User Info
(05-12-2012, 10:25 AM)Harvey Wrote: OK this is my result...had complete silence..no distractions and had a magnificent preparation and lather using the KENT crean and the super Large Thater also purchased from Phil.....Best razor I have ever used...Super grip and feel on the handle...absolute perfect balance between TOO MILD and Rip your face off TOO AGRESSIVE (R41)...I have every Feather,Ikon,Cobra and Merkur,Muhle (I like the Progress)..but I LOVE this razor..absolute perfection and intelligent design..just my opinion but Perfection is hard to beat...might be time to clear out the cave and make a TRADERE SHRINE...really do we need all these razors when we finally obtain what was previously UNOBTAINABLE...not any more..I would buy one if you can...close your E-Bay account and just buy shave creams,bowls and brushes (still gotta shop)RolleyesAaaaa

Wow, what an endorsement for the razor! It gets more tempting each time i read a review!

75 20,883
 05-12-2012, 10:13 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-12-2012, 09:58 PM)celestino Wrote:

Wow, what an endorsement for the razor! It gets more tempting each time i read a review!

Résistance is futile!!!

91 17,835
 05-14-2012, 05:16 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
heh, I hope the combs come out soon! my handle is awaiting!

Biggrin

9 1,684
 05-14-2012, 05:18 PM
User Info
I'm already setting my pennies aside for the Tradere Slant.

31 7,912
 05-14-2012, 05:26 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
My two favorite razors now are my Tradere and my Weber. I seriously could sell the rest and more than likely be content.

116 3,804
 05-15-2012, 12:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
My Tradere handle is so lonely...

I considered pairing it with my new FaTip head, but it just didn't seem right after waiting all this time.

I going to check my Inbox, again...

91 17,835
 05-15-2012, 05:33 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I had my 3rd shave with it again. Very boring. BBS no nicks, no cuts, no weepers. Just smooooooth. I seriously see no point in keeping any other razors besides this one, my Weber, and my Muhle R89.

116 3,804
 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Just received and paid my Tradere invoice, hooray!

91 17,835
 05-15-2012, 07:59 AM
User Info
(05-14-2012, 05:26 PM)Dave Wrote: My two favorite razors now are my Tradere and my Weber. I seriously could sell the rest and more than likely be content.

I like how you left yourself an out...Tongue

9 1,199
 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Yes always leave yourself a good exit hehe

I would still like to try an ikon OSS

116 3,804
 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 07:41 AM)ben74 Wrote: Just received and paid my Tradere invoice, hooray!

Congrats Ben. Now the real waiting begins. Look forward to seeing your amazing pictures of it once it arrives.

31 7,912
 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
I had a rough shave yesterday but a better shave today. The head likes a different angle and I just ripped through the shave yesterday. Today's shave was fine. I am still getting a little blood each shave - but no real nicks that can be seen or felt. I am not getting 100% BBS but I never do.

0 253
 05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Shipping advice received!

Anticipation is at an all time high!

91 17,835