05-16-2014, 05:46 PM
User Info
Before I knew it I started working on the blades for these three before taking pics. The only before shots I have are of the shafts. The blades were , well, rough.
But think it's neat how under the first one here is the name P.R. Smith.
Anyway, I did this out of book matching scales by using up two slabs of horn. Normally I can get four scales but I sacrificed the stock to get the look of symmetrical scales. I also didn't use a wedge on this blade. Instead I cut away the insides of the scales to have it be washerless. Being that the ends match , and if not for a slight seam it almost could appear to be a one piece scale.
Double stack on the white wedge end and singles on the hinge.

[Image: nQAHSZY.jpg]

[Image: zmM5DqM.jpg]

[Image: zPoaCj7.jpg]

[Image: IiZgKsG.jpg]

[Image: hdaar3H.jpg]

[Image: XU1Sht0.jpg]

[Image: t0iiiz9.jpg]

The second wedge which is a twin to the first I decided to do differently. Here I had a piece of horn with a definite wood grain look to it. I also made Bullseye brass washers for the white wedge end and used double stacks for the hinge.

Both of these blades sport true mirror finishes and aren't just "shiny" . Here , to capture the wood grain look which shows up better in person, you can see part of my neck, shirt collar and the lens of the camera besides the finger prints and smudges on the blade.

[Image: rXOuaEZ.jpg]

[Image: ypzrgIm.jpg]

[Image: ssIlQCD.jpg]

[Image: YjaGrY8.jpg]

[Image: WziaJBm.jpg]

0 777
 05-16-2014, 05:55 PM
User Info
Your restos are unreal.

0 79
 05-16-2014, 05:56 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Those washers add a very nice finishing touch.

59 4,389
 05-16-2014, 05:57 PM
User Info
And for the third, a near wedge I decided to try something different.
Here I started with a slab of black horn. I cut away sections to add white pearl acrylic with a swirl pattern to it.
Once in place I carved ribs in the center section to add some life to it.
I planned to have the lines match up with the edge of the blade when partially open. This serves to let your eye keep moving across and up the blade without stopping on one view.
I also adjusted the wedge to have the top spine match the scale when closed. All three do this.
Then to wrap it up I made up some funky Nickel Silver washers in one piece with brass pins.

[Image: s0vN6BH.jpg]

[Image: 7oIJmHy.jpg]

[Image: ZfRv1uN.jpg]

[Image: rtrqciB.jpg]

[Image: AuJ4Uhy.jpg]

[Image: AF1TlyB.jpg]

0 777
 05-16-2014, 06:04 PM
  • W.S.O.
  • Banned
  • Philadelphia, Pa
User Info
Wow just wow. Those blades truly are like mirror and that horn is just beautiful. I LOVE the one (like i dont love them all - lol) with the wedge incorporated into the scale. I had decided a couple weeks ago that I will be attempting that at some point but not with horn as my first attempt!
Anyway truly beautiful!
I spoke too soon ( I thought you said 3) The third one I dont even know what so say. You ar artist and a visionary with the talent tt bring those 2 things together like no one else I have ever seen does.

9 429
 05-17-2014, 06:00 AM
User Info
Oh wow Sir those are beautiful. The 3rd one is awesome.

0 85
 05-17-2014, 08:08 AM
User Info
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments. I'm quite happy with how they came out.
Now just get them honed up and in the rotation.

0 777
 05-27-2014, 06:29 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
After viewing so many of your beautiful razors, I would think that I'd be used to it, but I just keep getting blown away by your attention to every little detail.

38 5,036
 05-27-2014, 06:37 AM
User Info
Ah! The Devil lives in the details.
If you'd like to see more of my collection I posted it in the collection/display thread under "Storage solutions".
And somewhere I posted all my restored W&Bs. It's a nice collection.

0 777
 05-27-2014, 07:06 AM
User Info
I love the black horn with the pearl acrylic. Wonderful work as always!

129 6,685
 05-27-2014, 07:21 AM
User Info
Thanks. That was a fun one to build. Made things more interesting .

0 777
 05-27-2014, 07:23 AM
User Info
There is nothing finer than seeing these old beauties come back to life for another 100+ years of shaving.

129 6,685
 05-27-2014, 01:48 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Love Love Love <===my usual comment of appreciation ! ( X's 3 ! )
your resto jobs are just off the charts !

0 1,291
 05-27-2014, 05:15 PM
User Info
One of these days, I will have to get a straight. Excellent job on all three.

31 1,800