05-12-2012, 10:14 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Reformulated for better,that should be the alternative title for this thread.

I have been using the new L'ocittane shaving cream for the lst 3 days.A new store of L'occitane Cade have been opene here in Utah (City Creek Mall in Salt Lake City) and I had the chance to get 2 big samples of this new shaving cream.

I did try the old formulation in the past with terrible results : impossible to lather with a brush or even with the hands,really runny and its scent wasnt as good as the soap one (the actual one,either).

This new shaving cream is really easy to lather,like a UK or German shaving cream,and also provides a top notch skin care,in the same level than other famous shaving creams.

Here are some of my impressions of this new shaving cream :

1.Not too much quantity is required to get lather for more than 3 or 4 passes,but I also have been using the Muhle silvertip Fibres brushes (both the 21 mm and a 25 mm proto) and those brushes makes lather from stones.I also have used it with a Vulfix Grosvenor with a finest TGN badger knot with excellent results,but I needed to add a little bit more of cream.

2.The lather that I have been forming with this cream is super dense (like mayo dense) and it gives you the impression that its not gonna be slick enough : nothing more far from the truth.This cream contains oils from sunflowers seeds which makes its lather really slick,like a UK shaving cream or even more.If you are looking for a slick cream,this could be a good candidate.

3.Its skin care properties during and after the shave are top.I do have extra dry skin and this cream,besides some natural oils,contains shea butter,which is an ingredient that dry skins like mine appreciate a lot of its nourishing properties.This cream plays in this subject like other famous ones like Tabula Rasa,Dovo,Acca Kappa,Santa Maria La Novella,Speick...

4.The worst thing about this cream is its scent.Its not as good as the shaving soap one.Smells like a new plastic bag (honestly,this is how it smells for me) and this is not something good on my book...

5.Also its price its not good at all : the 100ml shaving cream on a metallic tube cost 28 dollars,while the 100g tripple milled shaving soap cost 12 dollars,so the shaving cream cost more than twice as much than the soap,and the soap last a long time.Yes,the soap doesnt contains shea butter,like the cream does,and also the cream seems to last long enough,but more than twice the price than the soap?and with a scent that its not as good as the soap one?Well,no thanks.

So it seems that L'occitane really heard complaints about how bad was the previous shaving cream formulation and decided to introduce a new improve one before than discontinued the shaving cream production,something that as a customer I really appreciate.Also its skin care properties are wonderful and leaves my skin really nourish after the shave with it,with no a sign of dry skin.However its scent and price are playing against it,specially when you have shaving creams like Tabula Rasa for the same price and smells 1000 times better (any of their scents).
A bitter sweet taste leaves me this shaving cream.Oh, If they could do a shaving cream with Lavender essential oil on it!!!

86 7,123
 05-12-2012, 12:35 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks for the review, Teiste. I love the shaving soap but, as you say, if the cost is so high then I would want, at the very least, the same scent as the soap (one of my favorite scents).

2 11,211
 05-12-2012, 01:46 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I tried the original version of this cream and I despised it.

3 2,562
 05-12-2012, 06:46 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(05-12-2012, 12:35 PM)freddy Wrote: Thanks for the review, Teiste. I love the shaving soap but, as you say, if the cost is so high then I would want, at the very least, the same scent as the soap (one of my favorite scents).

+1

Its good to hear L'Occitane is actually listening to their customers for once. If only we could get them to bring back the AS splash...

To be honest, I'm a little surprised they reformulated the cream. They discontinue fantastic and well loved products, so this is a bit unusual for them

9 541
 05-12-2012, 10:01 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Think I'll stick with the Cade soap!

91 17,851
 05-13-2012, 12:35 AM
User Info
Yep! I really like the Cade soap, and it seem that I'll stick with it Smile

2 5,532
 05-18-2012, 01:45 PM
User Info
I got a tube of this from brother when he visited Germany a couple of years back. This stuff is great quality, but it's so expensive at the same time. The price he paid there was outrageously absurd, it equaled $80 U.S. and I still feel bad for ever asking him to get me some shaving cream from over seas. But the smell and shave are awesome as hell. No shaving cream compares to it. IMO, this the best smelling shaving cream out there. I'd even put it ahead of T&H's 1805 and Trafalgar.

0 128
 05-19-2012, 12:14 PM
User Info
Never tried it. I found the price a little steep - L'Occitane shaving cream costs €16,50 here in Portugal

2 5,532
 05-20-2012, 03:45 AM
User Info
I found the cream to be inferior to the soap but with the reformulation, I'll try them out.

0 29