05-16-2014, 07:48 PM
User Info
I found this for $10 at an antique store today, I was wondering if anyone could tell me roughy the year. It was labeled as 1950 but I'm unsure. This is my first attempt with an SE but for $10 why not.

[Image: cveNpfj.jpg]
[Image: sxeoTNI.jpg]
[Image: ULQSxug.jpg]
[Image: HKyeARx.jpg]

0 29
 05-16-2014, 07:58 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Wrong case and wrong blade bank but a nice razor. Looks like a 1914 model ever ready and those can be pretty tough to age at least for me. Be careful with this one. I've used quite a few SE's and this model bit me pretty good. Have to be very attentive.

58 1,312
 05-16-2014, 09:49 PM
User Info
It's a 1924 aka ''shovel head''. Some folks here like them. It is very finiky about the angle and switches from mild to aggressive quickly.
I got decent shaves with it, but didn't care for it.

6 860
 05-18-2014, 10:00 PM
User Info
One of my favorite SE razors. But I do understand that not everyone gets along with it.

32 6,470
 05-19-2014, 01:52 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I can attest to how finicky it is. I got a great shave the first time I used it because I was being very cautious. But the next time I used it, I didn't pay attention and paid the price. It is like the OCMM in that way. Very fussy about angles.

19 566
 05-20-2014, 08:16 PM
User Info
So far I've managed to get two shaves in using this razor, had to pick up some rite-aid blades. Not really impressed so far. Seems aggressive without providing a close shave. I should probabley add that I have been shaving while on a boat in 4-6 foot seas. No nicks com cuts of any kind. Just can't seem to get a close shave. I will continue to give it a try for at least a month and see how it goes.
Any tips would help. It may just be my angle.

0 29
 05-20-2014, 09:35 PM
User Info
What you describe is definitely not typical for that razor.

It will definitely talk to you when you have the angle right. I find that when I drop the handle a bit on any SE razor it's at it's best. But listen for the razor noise. That's when the angle's correct.

Forgive the following, but we don't have your shaving history and you have minimal posts, so we can only assume the worst...

I assume you're using no pressure of course. No pressure means just that. It doesn't mean minimal pressure or less pressure. No pressure means there is no deformation of the skin while the razor passes over it.

Too, the razor needs to be working properly. There is a spring at the rear of the cover that pushes the blade forward against the stops. If it's been damaged the blade will slide away from the stops and could give a shave such as you describe. There's only one way to test for it that I know of other than seeing the blade away from the stops during the shave. I use a deliberately dulled blade that I made. One that won't cut butter even if the blade is hot. I install that dull blade and push against the spring to see if minimal pressure allows the blade to move back into the head.

If that's the case you have 2 choices. You can very gently bend the spring fingers back into position, or you can use it as a historical item for your shaving museum. But if you choose the former understand that the spring can break. If that happens don't throw the handle away (the head would be useless) folks here would love to have the handle.

Good luck!

32 6,470
 06-03-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
Nice find! That is the EverReady 1924 and it is one of the smoothest and most comfortable SE's out there IMO. Just remember that it likes a really flat (top cap against the face) angle for optimal results.

69 2,188
 06-17-2014, 07:18 PM
User Info
I picked one of these up recently. Haven't shaved with it yet. Maybe I will next shave just to give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone

2 55