05-17-2014, 11:27 AM
User Info
Ok, I have been reading everyone's comments about the Feather so I bit the bullet and bought one. (Thanks BullGoose!)I prefer the DE razor but on occasion, (running late, etc.) I will use a cart razor. I am now anxious to get it and see if it lives up to the hype.

0 38
 05-17-2014, 12:08 PM
User Info
It's an excellent cartridge razor system and while not quite as good as a DE it's very close and easily usable on a daily basis for quick and efficient shaves. I'd go so far as to say it's the best cartridge razor system in the market.

Chris

0 27
 05-17-2014, 08:22 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I ordered one of these, having not used a cartridge razor for years. It felt very strange to me, coming from a DE, and it took a few shaves to become comfortable with it. That said, I have been using the twin-blade cartridges and the set-up works very well. The blades are very sharp, yet the cartridge is designed to give a gentle shave.

The DE will remain my mainstay, but I am impressed with Feather's approach to cartridge shaving.

- Murray

4 1,150
 05-18-2014, 10:09 AM
User Info
Wow! This razor is getting some very high compliments!

83 21,113
 05-18-2014, 12:44 PM
User Info
(05-17-2014, 08:22 PM)CMur12 Wrote: I ordered one of these, having not used a cartridge razor for years. It felt very strange to me, coming from a DE, and it took a few shaves to become comfortable with it. That said, I have been using the twin-blade cartridges and the set-up works very well. The blades are very sharp, yet the cartridge is designed to give a gentle shave.

The DE will remain my mainstay, but I am impressed with Feather's approach to cartridge shaving.

- Murray

I hope to get mine this week and give it a try.

Considered buying the Lord as well but decided against it.

0 38
 05-19-2014, 03:28 PM
User Info
OK! I am officially very impressed with the Feather MR3 NEO. IT gave a great shave, no irritation on both my face and head. While it won't convert me to cartridge shaving only, it will become a part of my rotation. Thanks for letting me know about these.

0 38
 09-18-2014, 08:27 PM
User Info
(05-19-2014, 03:28 PM)twilkins Wrote: OK! I am officially very impressed with the Feather MR3 NEO. IT gave a great shave, no irritation on both my face and head. While it won't convert me to cartridge shaving only, it will become a part of my rotation. Thanks for letting me know about these.
I so resist another razor that might increase landfill, with plastic and cartridges to toss... but it's just so much more sensible to travel with (rather than have to mail blades ahead, or go searching in a new city for some); and somehow I haven't really gotten the guts up to head-shave with DE or SE razors. Your comment regarding head shaving is making me consider one of these.

7 315
 09-24-2014, 08:23 PM
User Info
Update -- this razor was among the items in my latest haul from Bullgoose. It feels good in that hand; I haven't shaved with it. I wasn't thinking... about blades... it comes with two of the three-blade carts. I figured I'd check it out before committing to buy more, but I wasn't thinking about the fact that I intended to use the two-blade Feather carts (whatever they're called!). Ohwell... I'll miss free postage, but I think I'll just use the excuse for another purchase...

Part of me didn't want this razor at all, but on the other hand I will be traveling for Thanksgiving and Christmas, which are coming up; and I wanted to try head-shaving with a cart first.... I'll get back to this thread once I actually shave with the thing. No telling when that'll be, at the moment!

7 315
 09-30-2014, 08:29 PM
User Info
OK... I did one face-shave with the MR3 cart that came with the razor. It went surprisingly well. Now truth be told, I liked the Schick Hydro 5 well enough for many shaves, then got an ingrown hair on my cheek that I attribute to the thing. So maybe there's just a honeymoon period. But I did use Mike's soap, great lather, with beard-mapping and all. Only thing I did that was "unusual" for me was apply pressure indiscriminately. I just wanted to try the new toy, and I was surprised at how well it shaved.

I'm updating because just today I got my latest Bullgoose package, which contained, among a couple other things, the FII cartridges. These don't have a guard wire running around them, and they're two- blade, not three-blade carts. I plan on (at least at the beginning) using these for some head-shaves, and using this razor as my travel-razor for airplane carry-on.

ANYone else?

7 315
 10-10-2014, 02:00 AM
User Info
Oh, I have a nice update coming from Japan. Stay tuned Smile

23 475
 10-10-2014, 04:38 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(10-10-2014, 02:00 AM)mixershave Wrote: Oh, I have a nice update coming from Japan. Stay tuned Smile

Boku mo. Wink

We're flying out to Japan Monday, and I plan to pick up an MR3 neo in our friendly drugstore in Shonan Fukazawa while we"re there. I held an MR3 neo in my hands in the store when we were there in March, but held off purchasing it because of doubts that replacement cartridges ever would be available in North America. Bullgoose has eased my anxiety on the latter score, and I look forward to trying it out.

I like that the MR3 neo appears to come with a snap-on travel guard; I carry a Schick Hydro in my Dopp kit inside a small zip-lock snack bag, but that is not a very elegant solution.

(09-30-2014, 08:29 PM)wagstaff Wrote: Now truth be told, I liked the Schick Hydro 5 well enough for many shaves, then got an ingrown hair on my cheek that I attribute to the thing.

ANYone else?

I do not doubt your testimony, but the idea that cartridge razors cause ingrown hairs is so far outside my experience, I cannot wrap my brain around it.

Back when dinosaurs walked the earth, I shaved for a decade with an electric shaver and my throat was a minefield of ingrown hairs. I did not make any connection between the way I shaved and the ingrown hairs back then, but when I boarded a trans-Pacific P&O Orient Line ship in Yokohama in 1968, I knew that the weird electrical outlets on the ship (high voltage, round plug prongs) would not accommodate my 120V flat prong shaver's plug, and I took with me a Schick injector that I never had used and a virgin aerosol can of goo that I bought the day before embarkation. By the time I disembarked in San Francisco two weeks later, the die was cast, and I have shaved with wet lather and blades ever since.

From about 15 minutes after the American debut of the Wilkinson Bonded Blade, about 1970, I switched to cartridges, and used cartridge razors exclusively until earlier this year, and never have had an ingrown hair in all that time.

So -- for me -- cartridge razors were a solution to an ingrown hair problem, not a cause of ingrown hairs.

1 1,110
 10-10-2014, 06:15 AM
User Info
(10-10-2014, 04:38 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: I do not doubt your testimony, but the idea that cartridge razors cause ingrown hairs is so far outside my experience, I cannot wrap my brain around it.

Back when dinosaurs walked the earth, I shaved for a decade with an electric shaver and my throat was a minefield of ingrown hairs. I did not make any connection between the way I shaved and the ingrown hairs back then, but when I boarded a trans-Pacific P&O Orient Line ship in Yokohama in 1968, I knew that the weird electrical outlets on the ship (high voltage, round plug prongs) would not accommodate my 120V flat prong shaver's plug, and I took with me a Schick injector that I never had used and a virgin aerosol can of goo that I bought the day before embarkation. By the time I disembarked in San Francisco two weeks later, the die was cast, and I have shaved with wet lather and blades ever since.

From about 15 minutes after the American debut of the Wilkinson Bonded Blade, about 1970, I switched to cartridges, and used cartridge razors exclusively until earlier this year, and never have had an ingrown hair in all that time.

So -- for me -- cartridge razors were a solution to an ingrown hair problem, not a cause of ingrown hairs.
Note the wording of my "testimony" is very careful not to state that I'm sure of causation. I just attributed it the Schick, because of the chronology. And I still do. Of course there's no control group. A similar experience with a Mach 3 first, then this... I just went off carts. No ingrown hairs with an injector, when I first started shaving. No ingrown hairs with electrics (either Braun or the Norelco "floating head" type), then a couple with a Mach 3 and a Schick Hydro. Maybe irrelevantly. Correlation is not causation, I know. I just don't trust carts (Until now, evidently -- since I have an MR3... quien sabe?).

7 315
 10-11-2014, 02:35 PM
User Info
Can only get behind routinely throwing away used chunks of plastic and metal so much, but the MR3's certainly the most impressive cartridge system I've shaved with...I don't have the patience to fight for sourcing DE blades or checking in a straight razor when travelling, and can fly anywhere & stay for any amount of time with just a carry-on 22x14x9" roller.

0 72
 10-12-2014, 04:15 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-11-2014, 02:35 PM)kwigibocity Wrote: Can only get behind routinely throwing away used chunks of plastic and metal so much, but the MR3's certainly the most impressive cartridge system I've shaved with...I don't have the patience to fight for sourcing DE blades or checking in a straight razor when travelling, and can fly anywhere & stay for any amount of time with just a carry-on 22x14x9" roller.

I am headed to Japan tomorrow (with a Schick Hydro in my 22" TravelPro, which is the only luggage that I travel with), and plan to pick up an MR3 neo while I am there. I used Gillettes throughout the '80s and '90s, and subsequently used the Schick Hydro for three years or so, and still use the Schick Hydro when I travel; I found it to be a quantum step better than any Gillette cartridge system, and I am wondering whether the MR3 neo can be much better than the Schick Hydro; we shall see. BTW, I am the guy who purchased your last close-out Mühle 33K252 last spring, and that has worked out well for me.

1 1,110
 10-12-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
My update on the MR3... indeed, I don't much like it for the head-shave application. It's fine for a second/later pass to clean up, I guess, but still not great, and the cartridges dull fast enough that it's annoying. I've used one of the MR3 cartridges that came with the razor. (My current head-shave routine -- still experimental -- is a GEM G-Bar pass and some touch ups, followed by a fat-handled Tech I just bought for $8 from an esteemed shavenook-denizen).

I like the feel of the MR3 Neo, and I think it's the best cartridge razor for face-shaving I've used. I'm hoping the FII (2-blade) cartridge is "better" for me than the MR3 cartridge, but time will tell. I'm very glad to have this as a travel razor, which was the main reason for purchasing. Holiday travel coming up, and like kwigibocity, I just don't want to deal with checking bags or seeking out DE blades upon arrival in another city.

I also can't say for 100% certain that this is "better" than the Schick Hydro 5 in terms of result. I think I like fewer than-5 blades better, period, but again need more time. I certainly like the heft of the MR3 Neo razor a lot more than any other cartridge razor I've held.

7 315
 10-12-2014, 09:58 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have mine in my Dopp Kit and don't leave home without it. Still the best cartridge razor I've tried.

179 23,934
 10-16-2014, 12:41 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-12-2014, 09:58 PM)Johnny Wrote: I have mine in my Dopp Kit and don't leave home without it. Still the best cartridge razor I've tried.

If today was any indication, you had better stock up on MR3 neos if you want one for the future.

Currently in Japan, I went into two huge drugstore chain (equivalent of Walgreens or CVS) branches in the vicinity of Fujisawa Station. Fujisawa is no backwater; it is a major stop on the Tokaido Main Line, and the hub of the Shonan region.

The station area is busy all hours all days, and the stores were large and crowded. Both had every possible model of Gillette and Schick cartridge razors, including models I've never seen in the United States, and refill cartridges for them. Both stocked -- on a bottom peg at knee level -- a couple of 10-packs of Feather DE razor blades, and one of the two stores had two packages of FII cartridges. But when I asked the clerk at the store that stocked the FII cartridges if he had the handles for the Feather cartridges, he told me that he had never seen one, and was not aware that Feather made complete razors.

Later, in a branch of a major national supermarket chain in Kamakura, I saw a repeat: the only razors available for sale were Gillettes and Schicks.

I'll keep looking while I'm here. In March, I held an MR3 neo in my hands in a shop in Yokohama. I may have to return there and see if the Feathers have been pulled from stock.

1 1,110
 10-23-2014, 10:06 AM
User Info
I used the MR 3 w the twin blade cart last night and was impressed.

I'm leaving today for a trip and thought I would not be checking a bag and wanted to give a shot before. As it turns out I am checking a bag / can bring DE, however in the future I won't hesitate to use on trips.

My only complaint is that the razor had some difficulty navigating thick lather, however it must have working as I got an extremely close / comfortable shave in 2 passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

192 1,588
 10-26-2014, 02:16 AM
User Info
(10-16-2014, 12:41 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(10-12-2014, 09:58 PM)Johnny Wrote: I have mine in my Dopp Kit and don't leave home without it. Still the best cartridge razor I've tried.

If today was any indication, you had better stock up on MR3 neos if you want one for the future.

Currently in Japan, I went into two huge drugstore chain (equivalent of Walgreens or CVS) branches in the vicinity of Fujisawa Station. Fujisawa is no backwater; it is a major stop on the Tokaido Main Line, and the hub of the Shonan region.

The station area is busy all hours all days, and the stores were large and crowded. Both had every possible model of Gillette and Schick cartridge razors, including models I've never seen in the United States, and refill cartridges for them. Both stocked -- on a bottom peg at knee level -- a couple of 10-packs of Feather DE razor blades, and one of the two stores had two packages of FII cartridges. But when I asked the clerk at the store that stocked the FII cartridges if he had the handles for the Feather cartridges, he told me that he had never seen one, and was not aware that Feather made complete razors.

Later, in a branch of a major national supermarket chain in Kamakura, I saw a repeat: the only razors available for sale were Gillettes and Schicks.

I'll keep looking while I'm here. In March, I held an MR3 neo in my hands in a shop in Yokohama. I may have to return there and see if the Feathers have been pulled from stock.

I saw the Feather Neo at Matsumoto Kiyoshi in Shibuya and Aoyama, I picked up the Feather F System Samrai Edge and the Kai Xfit instead. Have to take some pics and open the packages.

23 475
 10-26-2014, 07:34 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(10-26-2014, 02:16 AM)mixershave Wrote:
(10-16-2014, 12:41 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: If today was any indication, you had better stock up on MR3 neos if you want one for the future.

I saw the Feather Neo at Matsumoto Kiyoshi in Shibuya and Aoyama, I picked up the Feather F System Samrai Edge and the Kai Xfit instead. Have to take some pics and open the packages.

I was looking in the wrong place. We did stop into some shops around Shinagawa Eki and the Sapporo Beer complex of buildings in Ebisu. When I returned to Yokohama, we looked not only in Sogo and Takashimaya, but I also tried to find the shop near Kannai Eki on the Negishi-sen where I had held one in March. Unfortunately, I could not remember the exact location, so we had lunch in Chinatown instead. Wink

In the end, I found a Japanese mail-order vendor who carries the MR3, and he agreed to mail one to me in the United States, so I should have one in hand by Thanksgiving or so.

1 1,110