05-17-2014, 11:51 AM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I'm getting ready to send out both a Slim and Fatboy for re-plating, and am having trouble deciding on whether to plate in Rhodium, Nickel or Silver? Can anybody with experience help me better understand the pro's and con's to each of the above plating metals for use in this type of shaving application?

4 794
 05-17-2014, 12:11 PM
User Info
Silver will have more upkeep.

Nickel & Rhodium both will have minimal upkeep. Rhodium is pricier because you have to first plate in nickel and then plate the rhodium on top. For less price and still very similar looks I'd go with bright nickel.

31 8,057
 05-17-2014, 12:47 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
Nickel is the original metal, Rhodium is the priciest because it's the priciest metal there is.

7 2,328
 05-17-2014, 06:30 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
I'm having a few items replated currently and that's the same dilemma I'm trying to decide. From what the well respected replaters have said, the proper way for rhodium is over nickel as it bonds better so it's added cost but it adds some additional brilliance. You can always plate nickel first and later down the road put rhodium over it as current plating techniques are tremendously better than what it was back then, so if u decide to add rhodium later on u already have the first step done. (That's one approach, but I have a rhodium piece and it's beautiful, shine is somewhat different from nickel)

For me, I'm using the rationale of how much I 'love' the razor and/or what the original plate was to decide the route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 1,329
 05-17-2014, 07:12 PM
User Info
I had the same conundrum when I was thinking about replating my father’s old Gillette Slim. I think that the Rhodium looks terrific. Silver would look good, but I wouldn’t want to deal with the tarnish. Nickel is authentic to the razor.

I was worried about Rhodium and galvanic corrosion. With Rhodium, several people have noticed rapidly rusting razor blades, even overnight. For example:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/archive/ind...90560.html
http://sharpologist.com/2013/04/better-than-new.html

The problem is that the Rhodium razor would have an anodic index of about 0.05 V, while the steel razor blade would likely be around 0.5 to 0.6V. The difference is 0.45 to 0.55 V…and in a humid environment corrosion (of the razor blade) may occur at differences of 0.15 to 0.25 V.

The upshot? I decided on replating in Nickel.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, you're a mile away - and you have his shoes.

0 13
 05-17-2014, 09:03 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
That's truly eye opening as rhodium is one of the primary luxury metal used on razors then and is still seen as one today.

Thou one of the major catalyst seems to be if you leave the blade in the razor for extended periods of time that would introduce rust. The short duration of a shave and cleaning process post shave seems adequate to prevent that.

none the less that's certainly food for thought. thank you for sharing that researched info.

35 1,329
 05-17-2014, 09:29 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
This is the kind of info I was hoping for, as I knew my bro's here would offer some solid info and experience...I'm going to pull the trigger on Monday, and right now I'm thinking Nickel might be a great starting point.

Now here's a curve ball,taking into account this anodic index/galvanic corrosion info; how would 24k gold and Rose gold(I believe copper, re-plated in gold=rose gold) be affected, and/or effect the stainless blade? I'm thinking some variety might look nice, and likely will have a third slim or fatboy plated in one form of gold if it doesn't appear to need a lot of maintenance and/or have any other adverse properties.

4 794
 05-18-2014, 06:06 AM
User Info
If memory serves, you swap blades after 3. I'd say go for it - it would look great.
If the problem occurs, then either try another blade, or dry off the blade after use.

To answer your question: Gold is 0 (even worse) but Copper is 0.35 (like Nickel at 0.3)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, you're a mile away - and you have his shoes.

0 13
 05-18-2014, 06:31 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(05-18-2014, 06:06 AM)Mark_Toronto Wrote: If memory serves, you swap blades after 3. I'd say go for it - it would look great.
If the problem occurs, then either try another blade, or dry off the blade after use.

To answer your question: Gold is 0 (even worse) but Copper is 0.35 (like Nickel at 0.3)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

Great link Mark! I now have a much better understanding of the effects these metals have on each other...I'm going Nickel for both my Slim and Fatboy, then I'll do a third razor, likely a Fatboy in gold to add some extra shine to the collection...I'll just be more attentive to the gold plated razor by always pulling the blade no matter what.

Thanks again for the info guys, just what I was looking for!

4 794
 05-18-2014, 07:40 PM
User Info
Rhodium GEM OCMM in the back.
Bright Nickel GEM Clog Pruf in the front.

[Image: UGnPEM6.jpg]

Not much difference if you ask me.

31 8,057
 05-20-2014, 04:12 PM
User Info
Silver is as Brian said very high maintenance. That would be
even worse on a TTO where you have moving parts.

Rhodium is expensive but very bright.

Nickel is original stock coating.

Chrome is also a good option because it is brighter than Nickel (not as bright as Rhodium) but not excessively expensive.

1 2,827
 05-20-2014, 04:53 PM
User Info
Keep us posted to what you decide. I'm bouncing the very same question in my head with a fatboy and a slim. I'm hedging towards nickel.

0 4
 05-20-2014, 05:32 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Good luck in the final decisions as with my 2 I've sent in, I decided on just in bright nickel to test as it was my first attempt at replating, nothing fancy.

Next few are going to be aristocrat restores so I would use the more exotics but this really makes you aware of what can happen.

Chrome is something unique I think, you don't see it used as much but I read it's on some of the vintage razors, I believe their thought was that it holds up better,

35 1,329
 05-20-2014, 08:04 PM
User Info
Can you tell which 4 are rhodium? Thread I started when I got some new nickel replates. Over a couple of months they did develop a faint hint a yellowish tint but even then it was difficult to tell the difference in some light sources.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread....y-Replates!

Sorry if it's in bad taste to link there, can't upload from the ipad

4 146
 05-21-2014, 03:04 AM
User Info
I would go for nickel, for all the reasons stated. Durable, pretty, shiny and resilient.
Plus, it is the original plating used by Gillette on those models, so it makes sense f you want to restore them to their original glory.

2 5,547
 05-21-2014, 05:37 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I think nickel is the best finish for razors. I understand that Rhodium, silver, gold and other precious metals are tempting to use to show our love for the object, but in a razor I think that's misguided. Nickel looks better than chrome, IMO and just about any other metal. Nickel is what the vintage razors were plated with, at least the white colored metals. I think my 1922 Gillette Big Fellow with a yellow plating may have been gold, but at this point it's all brass and I am seriously considering re-plating it in nickel. I had a Gillette New LC done in nickel once and it looked absolutely fabulous. If I didn't currently use the BF as a daily driver it would be in a re-plate shop.

BTW, where do you get the razors re-plated now that Krona Cruiser is not doing it? He did one razor for me and it turned out excellent.

26 1,739
 05-21-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
Chris Evatt with http://www.RazorPlate.com did my GEM Clog Pruf in bright nickel and I am very pleased. $35 including shipping back is a great deal.

31 8,057
 05-21-2014, 12:03 PM
User Info
(05-20-2014, 05:32 PM)refles Wrote: Chrome is something unique I think, you don't see it used as much but I read it's on some of the vintage razors, I believe their thought was that it holds up better,

Chromium is the hardest metal of all the discussed metals:

http://periodictable.com/Properties/A/Mo...ss.al.html

I think chrome gets sort of a bad rap as its usually used to plate pot metal razors. Personally I think nickel (not bright nickel) has more "depth" to if it was me, I'd go with that. It seems about middle of the road on the Mohs hardness scale, so I think its the "goldilocks" choice in terms of its durability and price.

84 1,505
 05-21-2014, 12:57 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Ah that's something I think I remember, but didn't want to assume. But I believe chrome required nickle or something else to be the base before it would properly bond. But I think none of the current crop of platers deal in chrome anyway.

Forgive me for not understanding, there's that much of a hardness difference between bright nickle and nickle?
I think everyone's more into the 'shine' as I didn't know about bright nickle till I discovered Krona Kruiser's work. I thought everything was just nickle at first.

35 1,329
 05-21-2014, 05:29 PM
User Info
(05-21-2014, 12:57 PM)refles Wrote: Ah that's something I think I remember, but didn't want to assume. But I believe chrome required nickle or something else to be the base before it would properly bond. But I think none of the current crop of platers deal in chrome anyway.

Forgive me for not understanding, there's that much of a hardness difference between bright nickle and nickle?
I think everyone's more into the 'shine' as I didn't know about bright nickle till I discovered Krona Kruiser's work. I thought everything was just nickle at first.

Nickel is electroplated to the Brass.
Chrome is then electroplated to the Nickel.

1 2,827