05-17-2014, 12:39 PM
User Info
OK, I'm frugal, I admit it. Our old tube type Panasonic refused to die, and it still hasn't died. It works fine, but it was time to either buy another converter box for it, or replace it. Frankly the set has exceeded the projected life of a TV, so putting more $ into that set just didn't seem worth doing. Enter the new set.

W bought a 55" LG with all the bells and whistles, it connected to my wireless network, so I have Netflix on it, and the 'net if I choose to use it for that. But it also is 3D. OK the huge flatscreen is fantastic, but the Cinema 3D is the real WOW!

I haven't paid to watch any 3D movies yet because the supplied glasses are the pits. They don't stay in place over the glasses I must wear 24/7 while I'm awake. But we did watch a free short movie Moonlight 1,2,&3. Just phenominal. Oh, I have some passive clip ons coming in.

Despite the expense I'm considering buying Avatar 3D because of how phenominal that was in the theater.

Any other 3D movies I should consider acquiring?

Thanks gents!

edit: Oh, yes, I'm really frugal. We needed a new set, but the place we got it from had all their TVs specially sale priced. Then the one we bought, the salesman gave us another huge discount on top of the sale price. We just couldn't say no.

32 6,445
 05-17-2014, 01:59 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the new TV, Brian!! Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-17-2014, 02:13 PM
User Info
I was going to suggest Avatar, I seen part of that on my daughter and son in laws. Really nice, congrats!

31 1,800
 05-17-2014, 02:45 PM
User Info
Avatar was the first full-length 3D movie released. Previously movies only had sequences in 3D. I'm sure this is no help but just about every "tentpole" release since has had 3D.

Scorsese believed that when he was filming "Hugo" that 3D would become the norm for all releases, major summer movies or not. I'd still like to see that (imagine what he would have done with Goodfellas in 3D).

- Josh -

84 1,505
 05-18-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
(05-17-2014, 02:45 PM)jpakstis Wrote: Avatar was the first full-length 3D movie released. Previously movies only had sequences in 3D. I'm sure this is no help but just about every "tentpole" release since has had 3D.

Scorsese believed that when he was filming "Hugo" that 3D would become the norm for all releases, major summer movies or not. I'd still like to see that (imagine what he would have done with Goodfellas in 3D).

- Josh -

I'd like to see that now... The bit about all movies being in 3D.

I'd like to know more about the TV. Near as I can figure it's basically a dedicated computer with a huge monitor built into it. I found a section in the settings that showed it's RAM and used space, those weren't the words used, but that was basically what was meant, I think. It also allows for harddrives and whatever else to be connected, so storage could be huge.

HULU shows where they have a movie for rent, then another price to own the movie. Does anyone know if that "ownership" means download and storage on my TV?

32 6,445
 05-18-2014, 08:39 AM
User Info
I believe that Hulu stores the movie on its servers and that you would be able to access it whenever you want. I don't think you'd be able to keep it on your tv.

Another option for 3D content is Netflix. One of my co-workers said that they just started streaming 3D content.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 05-18-2014, 08:43 AM
User Info
(05-18-2014, 08:39 AM)jpakstis Wrote: I believe that Hulu stores the movie on its servers and that you would be able to access it whenever you want. I don't think you'd be able to keep it on your tv.

Another option for 3D content is Netflix. One of my co-workers said that they just started streaming 3D content.

- Josh -

Yes, I looked into that last night, but it didn't appear they have very much yet. At least not for someone my age. I can find all sorts of childrens movies. But I'll do a search in more depth.

32 6,445
 05-20-2014, 02:01 PM
User Info
Last night I went online to google 3d movies. All sorts, more than enough. The best place I found for prices and they also have reviews was Blu-ray.com. Maybe it's just a clearing house for prices, I have no idea and I haven't done any business with them yet, but no one else can beat their prices.

FWIW, I have a 15-18 mb/s connection and Netflix streaming won't always work for a 3d show from Netflix. I tried last night. Too, I suspect the frames per second rate is less than optimal. The show I did watch last night had herky jerky movement at times from low frame rate. The 2nd show I tried to watch wouldn't load at all. It just returned a "too slow connection" error message. So it'll be up to blu-ray to provide me with what I want for the most part.

I'm looking at (all 3d):
Predator
Gravity
The Hobbit
Prometheus
maybe Pacific Rim

Does anyone have these in 3D? Comments?

My 3D blu-ray player should be in this week.

32 6,445
 05-20-2014, 02:27 PM
  • jb74
  • Ireland
User Info
Another vote for Avatar, looks spectacular on my 3D TV.

0 136
 05-20-2014, 09:40 PM
User Info
Avatar is definitely a must have. There's no question about it.

I've also discovered the glitch in my network with the smart TV. It appears to be in my router. I can watch one show in 3D, then the 2nd doesn't have the required speed. But if I reconnect to the router, all of a sudden, Shazammm! it all works fine again. It appears to be time for a new router.

Edited so as not to bring the thread to the top... The Cinema 3D clip-ons I ordered from Amazons Parts-Outlet work 100% with the LG 3D. Much better than the LG supplied passive glasses. They actually stay in place and I basically don't even know I'm wearing them.

32 6,445
 05-21-2014, 03:23 PM
User Info
BIG Movie guy here....

What I suggest you watch.

-Obliviion
-Prometheus
-Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
-Tron: Legacy
-Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
-Hugo
-Dredd

Should keep you happy with this amazing visual movies!

0 42
 05-21-2014, 03:42 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Most of the Disney 3D movies are spectacular...Beauty and the Beast 3D in Theater was GREAT...I have small kids so I don't get to see many of the more Mature shows, but once Maleficent releases I'll buy it...it is being made in Real 3D, which is what Engine IMAX EPIC uses.

Life of Pi was epic in 3D...a little surreal in some parts, but over a 9 of 10, if you like that sort of movie.

I saw K2 in 3D and it was also unreal...like looking out your window, only not 40 below zero...

As for glasses we keep the Real 3D passive ones from IMAX Theaters and they work GREAT on our Sharp Aquos 3D in Passive mode. No shadows or ghosting like on some of the active shuttered lenses (also called Stuttered in sarcastic circles).

Good luck...and welcome to the wonderful world of 3D!

71 1,468
 05-22-2014, 12:44 PM
User Info
Thanks gents!

Keep 'em comin'!

Prometheus was already on the list and I put it to the top of my Netflix queue to see about the story line. But I'm a scifi freak, so what are the chances it won't work for me? Same goes for John Carter. I loved the Princess of Mars book by ERB when I read it many years ago.

I'd love to have the Lord of the Ring in 3D, but if it's happened I'm not aware of it.

I don't know the actual source; it's in the 3D section in my apps list on the smart TV, but "moonlight" episodes 1,2&3 are excellent movies to demonstrate 3D. Not so much ep.3 since it appears to be a sort of "best of" ep. 1&2; sort of. I love the fish floating just feet away and the levitating island at the same distance. OK, the solar system at the very beginning is pretty neat too.

Our Blu-Ray 3d player will be here tomorrow, so I need to get my butt in gear for some disks.

32 6,445
 05-22-2014, 01:41 PM
  • Leo K.
  • Mankato MN
User Info
Congrats! LG is a wonderful brand, I have a 3D LG too and my wife and love it. Aces!

1 750
 05-22-2014, 06:32 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Brian, it sounds as if you got the same TV as I bought a few months ago. I absolutely agree about Moonlight 1, 2, & 3, especially 1! That fish coming out of the screen is absolutely amazing.

Unlike you, though, I don't seem to have trouble with the supplied 3-D glasses and, like you, my spectacles go on first thing in the morning and come off at bedtime (and I wear trifocals). I wonder if the frames of our glasses has anything to do with it.

Life of Pi is very different but I really enjoyed the 3-D version on my TV. It looked great on that 55-inch LG. Also, I recently saw Gravity in 3-D in a theater. Believe it or not, I think it would look even better on the TV which would be in a more intimate setting and bring the action even closer.

Let us know what you end up seeing. Maybe I'll discover something interesting. Smile

2 11,211
 05-22-2014, 09:07 PM
User Info
(05-22-2014, 06:32 PM)freddy Wrote: Brian, it sounds as if you got the same TV as I bought a few months ago. I absolutely agree about Moonlight 1, 2, & 3, especially 1! That fish coming out of the screen is absolutely amazing.

Unlike you, though, I don't seem to have trouble with the supplied 3-D glasses and, like you, my spectacles go on first thing in the morning and come off at bedtime (and I wear trifocals). I wonder if the frames of our glasses has anything to do with it.

Life of Pi is very different but I really enjoyed the 3-D version on my TV. It looked great on that 55-inch LG. Also, I recently saw Gravity in 3-D in a theater. Believe it or not, I think it would look even better on the TV which would be in a more intimate setting and bring the action even closer.

Let us know what you end up seeing. Maybe I'll discover something interesting. Smile

It sounds like the same TV. 55" LG smart TV. Super thin with almost no outer bezel to speak of.

The only problem I have with the fish is that it isn't there long enough. It leaves me wanting more. Same complaint with the floating island with the zebra on it. It's just not there long enough to really enjoy the effect. I'd probably want at least a minute of them floating there.

It's got to be my street glasses Freddie. So far no other eyeglass wearer has had the same problem with our LG 3D glasses. Everyone wonders why I complain. But I have the same problem with 3D glasses at the theater too. No more though. That's a thing of the past now. I really like the clip-ons. They'll do until the eyeglassless 3D technology is perfected.

Let's use this thread for 3D movies. I'll change the subject line.

32 6,445
 05-23-2014, 04:43 AM
User Info
Just about any movie made after Avatar would be good as far as the technology is concerned. I remember a few movies that were already in the can (The Clash of the Titans remake comes to mind) that were then retrofitted to 3D and many of the reviews panned the 3D basically saying that it looked like cardboard cutouts of figures in a 3D background. I'm wondering how other "retrofits" have come out. Didn't Jurassic Park come out last year in theaters retrofitted? I heard that was a good "redo." I also think that several Pixar movies (Monsters, Inc. and maybe Finding Nemo?) had successful conversions.

I didn't see it in 3D (it took my wife until 2009 to even come to grips with HD and Bluray), but Life of Pi must be spectacular. I watched it on "regular" HD and it was mesmerizing. Plus it's a great movie in its own right. I'm hoping that first-class directors like Ang Lee and Scorcese are leading the vanguard.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 05-23-2014, 11:07 PM
User Info
Tonight I had some time and viewed Moonlight again. I paused it at the island floating in my living room and approached it. At first the island retreats a bit. Then it stops and one can put ones hands through the floating island. Freaky. Of course you're still some distance away from the TV screen. I expected it to just keep retreating.

The blu-ray 3D player came in today but I still don't have any 3D disks for it. I checked our local WallyWorld today but anything I wanted was sold out.

32 6,445
 05-24-2014, 02:01 PM
User Info
I bought Avatar 3D and frankly it's just as good on the small screen as it was in the theatre. No surprise there. I also bought I Robot and it isn't nearly as good. But it also was 1/2 the price of Avatar 3D so I suppose it's a wash. If someone doesn't have I Robot it would be worth it, otherwise, no.

32 6,445
 06-20-2014, 11:31 PM
User Info
OK, so forget what I wrote about I Robot. I was mistaken. It's a good 3D movie, just not up to the fantastic 3D of Avatar. But like Avatar I Robot gives me vertigo in those sections of the movie.

Since the last post I found the 3D tweaks on the TV set and enhanced the 3D depth (I think it's called that) 3 more points. It makes all the difference. Even to Avatar.

I don't know how the 3D magic is done, but Predator is good in 3D also. There were a few scenes that looked like a shadow box (like I Robot) but all in all pretty decent.

I haven't dropped the hammer on John Carter yet. All in time.

32 6,445