05-17-2014, 03:28 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I recently bought a couple items from Sonya at LadySea Creations...was so pleased that I had to post up a review

Shaving mug with brush rest cutout, in Copper Ore finish:
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingMug_CopperOre_1.jpg]
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingMug_CopperOre_2.jpg]
I like this mug. It's light weight, without feeling overly fragile. It works well with my bigger brushes that don't work so well in a lot of shallower bowls. Not ideal for the smaller brushes, obviously.
The glaze is a nice matte finish, but still has a lot of depth with layers of color.
At first look I wasn't sure about the shape of the nub on the side, it slants down slightly and I thought having it slant up might make for a better grip under my thumb, but after using it it didn't cause any issues

And one thing I'll say for both the bowl and the mug....if you like texture in the bottom of your bowls, these are both great. Too many others that I've tried carve swirls and grids and whatever else into the bottom, but then glaze it so heavily that it fills in the grooves and makes them useless....not the case here.

Shaving Bowl, Black Walnut Apricot finish:
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingBowl_BlackWalnutApricot_2.jpg]
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingBowl_BlackWalnutApricot_1.jpg]
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingBowl_BlackWalnutApricot_3.jpg]

I like the mug, but this bowl...wow. I love it.

For starters, I love the finish on this thing. The colors and patterns were exactly what I was hoping for.
Also, the mix between the smooth glossy areas and the less glossy on the inside to give the soap some resistance...maybe it's all in my head, but it seems to help mix up the soap faster instead of just sliding around on a high gloss surface.
In the third pic you can see there's a bit of the rougher texture coming up from the bottom of the bowl as well...nice when your hands are wet and maybe a little soapy

The slope of the edges is the best I've used (out of half a dozen or so). Curved enough to feel very natural with the brush, not digging in corners like a straight sided mug I have, but it straightens up just enough up at the lip so that the lather falls back into the bowl instead of falling out of it.
My previous favorite for not letting the lather escape actually curves inward at the top, but I'm always smacking the edges with the brush handle....none of that with this one.

I really couldn't be happier with the performance of this bowl, truly excellent design Smile

To sum it up: If you're on the fence about trying one of Sonya's creations, I'd highly recommend her for service, communication and product quality.

10 411
 05-17-2014, 03:38 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Sonya really does some amazing work and these are no exceptions. Too much talent in this family Smile

58 1,312
 05-17-2014, 03:55 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
(05-17-2014, 03:38 PM)Lutebro Wrote: Too much talent in this family Smile

That reminds me! She threw in a sample of Dapper Dragon soap....DEFINITELY need to place an order for that before this (generously sized) sample runs out

10 411
 05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
User Info
I use my Lady Sea while traveling which I am doing now. Works very nicely and takes up minimal room.

119 13,006
 05-17-2014, 08:13 PM
User Info
Wow, those are very nice! I love the finish on that mug. Almost looks like rusted steel.

21 555
 05-17-2014, 09:42 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Yeah, it came out real nice, if I didn't pick it up I could almost believe it was an old metal mug

I love things with that old run down, distressed, beaten look to them
It was a tough choice for me between this finish and the Wrought Iron....that one looks very nice too, but I decided it was too much of a clean metal look

10 411
 05-19-2014, 12:37 PM
User Info
(05-17-2014, 03:28 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: To sum it up: If you're on the fence about trying one of Sonya's creations, I'd highly recommend her for service, communication and product quality.

Thanks for the great review. I passed it along to Sonya, too. Smile

(05-17-2014, 03:38 PM)Lutebro Wrote: Sonya really does some amazing work and these are no exceptions. Too much talent in this family Smile

She's a pretty awesome photographer, too. Smile

10 1,858
 05-19-2014, 01:33 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
(05-19-2014, 12:37 PM)Songwind Wrote:
(05-17-2014, 03:28 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: To sum it up: If you're on the fence about trying one of Sonya's creations, I'd highly recommend her for service, communication and product quality.

Thanks for the great review. I passed it along to Sonya, too. Smile

(05-17-2014, 03:38 PM)Lutebro Wrote: Sonya really does some amazing work and these are no exceptions. Too much talent in this family Smile

She's a pretty awesome photographer, too. Smile

She got the first draft version of the review when we were emailing back and forth Smile
And I hope she passed along my comments on your soap! Already placed an order for 3 soaps based on that sample she included, can't wait for it to arrive Biggrin

She definitely has some nice photo work on her Etsy page! Sadly, she was having a bad day when she sent the pics of these 2 pieces when they were done lol
That copper one came across as a dull plum color in her pic and I almost turned it down based on that. But she gave her word that the actual product matched the sample on the site and that she would re-make it if I was unsatisfied when it arrived.
We all have off days, so I don't want the readers to take this as a negative, but as a positive comment: I was impressed that she was willing to let me make the final decision when I saw it in person (whereas some custom makers sell on more of an 'as-is' basis since each is one of a kind) and very pleased to find that she was true to her word, that in person it definitely looked right.
If you place an order and are unsure based on the final pics, just ask her about it....she was very accommodating, trustworthy and super easy to deal with

(In her defense, that one was a bear to photograph well, I had to set up with a white backdrop, a tripod, a 2.5 second shutter speed and a "daylight" lamp to get the pic you see above. And if I'm honest, it's still only about 90% color accurate Scared)

10 411
 09-19-2014, 04:07 PM
User Info
I just ordered one of her mugs with the cut out brush slot. The ordering process couldn't of been easier. I couldn't believe how fast she shipped it. I'd say she had it shipped an hour after I made the payment. Really looking forward to this beauty. Here's the one that's enroute. [Image: djMu1UM.jpg]

0 140
 09-19-2014, 04:41 PM
User Info
Those Copper Ore and Black Walnut Apricot paint jobs are killer. I might have to copycat one of those in the future.

I ordered a second bowl from Sonya. It's really a no brainer if you're looking for a bowl or mug.

4 355
 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM
  • tti
  • NY,US
User Info
great review and pictures!

19 196
 09-25-2014, 08:11 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Teamster: That green finish is sweet, great choice!

Shakamoto: If it were me, having to do it all over again, and I could only pick one....it would be the smaller bowl, still with the Black Walnut Apricot.
It's been 4 months now that I've owned it and I think I've only grabbed for another bowl maybe 2 or 3 times

I've even smacked it into the faucet a couple times, and once dropped it from about 3" onto the edge of the sink and watched in horror as it rattled around in the sink Confused I'm not suggesting you try this yourself, just happily reporting that it survived without a scratch, crack or chip. It's as tough as it is gorgeous. (I don't know that the thinner walled mug would've survived it)

10 411
 10-12-2014, 11:39 AM
User Info
Since I started wet shaving I've always used a regular run of the mill bowl for lathering but I'm pretty tempted to get a scuttle now. Seems like LadySea or GP are tempting me the most

11 489
 12-17-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
(05-17-2014, 03:28 PM)Kavik79 Wrote: I recently bought a couple items from Sonya at LadySea Creations...was so pleased that I had to post up a review

Shaving mug with brush rest cutout, in Copper Ore finish:
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingMug_CopperOre_1.jpg]
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingMug_CopperOre_2.jpg]
I like this mug. It's light weight, without feeling overly fragile. It works well with my bigger brushes that don't work so well in a lot of shallower bowls. Not ideal for the smaller brushes, obviously.
The glaze is a nice matte finish, but still has a lot of depth with layers of color.
At first look I wasn't sure about the shape of the nub on the side, it slants down slightly and I thought having it slant up might make for a better grip under my thumb, but after using it it didn't cause any issues

And one thing I'll say for both the bowl and the mug....if you like texture in the bottom of your bowls, these are both great. Too many others that I've tried carve swirls and grids and whatever else into the bottom, but then glaze it so heavily that it fills in the grooves and makes them useless....not the case here.

Shaving Bowl, Black Walnut Apricot finish:
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingBowl_BlackWalnutApricot_2.jpg]
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingBowl_BlackWalnutApricot_1.jpg]
[Image: LadySeaCreations_ShavingBowl_BlackWalnutApricot_3.jpg]

I like the mug, but this bowl...wow. I love it.

For starters, I love the finish on this thing. The colors and patterns were exactly what I was hoping for.
Also, the mix between the smooth glossy areas and the less glossy on the inside to give the soap some resistance...maybe it's all in my head, but it seems to help mix up the soap faster instead of just sliding around on a high gloss surface.
In the third pic you can see there's a bit of the rougher texture coming up from the bottom of the bowl as well...nice when your hands are wet and maybe a little soapy

The slope of the edges is the best I've used (out of half a dozen or so). Curved enough to feel very natural with the brush, not digging in corners like a straight sided mug I have, but it straightens up just enough up at the lip so that the lather falls back into the bowl instead of falling out of it.
My previous favorite for not letting the lather escape actually curves inward at the top, but I'm always smacking the edges with the brush handle....none of that with this one.

I really couldn't be happier with the performance of this bowl, truly excellent design Smile

To sum it up: If you're on the fence about trying one of Sonya's creations, I'd highly recommend her for service, communication and product quality.
What are the dimensions(interior diameter, height)?

0 98
 12-17-2014, 02:39 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
The bowl is just over 4" ID at the lip and about 2" deep

The mug is about 4" ID at the lip, but tapers to about 3.75" for the majority of the height. 3" deep overall, just under 2" from the bottom of the mug to the bottom of the brush rest cutout

10 411
 12-21-2014, 04:16 PM
User Info
The Black Walnut Apricot bowl is beautiful!!!!!

Nice pick up.

Ed

21 751
 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
yeah, it's my favorite finish on anything pottery I own BiggrinHeart

10 411
 11-18-2015, 06:31 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Sad  sad day today, i broke the black Walnut apricot bowl this morning 

After a year and a half of owning it, I'm ashamed to admit, but this was probably the fourth time it got knocked off the counter and into the sink 

All in all i'd say that's pretty darn good though, it stood up to more abuse than it ever should have been put through

Looks like it's time to pick out another Biggrin 
 After all this time it was still my favorite bowl, pretty much the only one i ever reached for this year

10 411
 11-25-2015, 11:43 AM
User Info
(11-18-2015, 06:31 AM)Kavik79 Wrote: Sad  sad day today, i broke the black Walnut apricot bowl this morning 

After a year and a half of owning it, I'm ashamed to admit, but this was probably the fourth time it got knocked off the counter and into the sink 

All in all i'd say that's pretty darn good though, it stood up to more abuse than it ever should have been put through

Looks like it's time to pick out another Biggrin 
 After all this time it was still my favorite bowl, pretty much the only one i ever reached for this year

Did you ever order a new bowl? As soon as I saw your photos, I knew that's what I wanted. Left an inquiry on her site, waiting to hear back.

1 309
 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I haven't, things have been a bit hectic around here and i haven't taken the time to look through all the finishes and make a decision yet 

I'd give her a couple days though before following up, small family businesses can get slow around holidays sometimes...but it's definitely a bowl that i'd be willing to wait for

10 411