05-12-2012, 03:55 PM
User Info
With thanks to the good people at Muhle with support our very own Jim (Codfish) and his connections at Muhle, I received an early release copy of the new Muhle 35 K 252 25 mm XL Silvertip Fibre brush. What follows is a mini review of this brush.

If you go to the Muhle website, it contains all the details of this brush. The link is attached below with pricing and pertinent details.

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop/class...0/35_K_252

The brush is a resin faux horn brown color as seen in the picture below.

[Image: 7184746562_15c6f5c003_b.jpg]

The brush is very elegant and is very well sized. The fibers look and behave very much like a high end badger. It is got good backbone and is very springy to the touch. The tips are nice and soft. When comparing them to my Silvertip they are roughly equal in softness.

I also have the Muhle 33 K 257 23mm Silvertip Fibre Brush which is an excellent brush. After using the 35 K 252 I have found a brush that excels most brushes from the first use including the 33 K 257 and my Simpsons Colonel X2L in Best Badger. A comparison picture and detailed measurements are provided for those three brushes below.

[Image: 7184746542_6c8ef35190_b.jpg]

Now to the testing.

I first took the brush and face lathered using Palmolive stick. I moistened my face and applied soap to my face and neck only. I then put the brush in water and gave two shakes. It held water well and I was able to lather easily with circular strokes. I was able to get 3 full face passes and a thin layer for a head shave from the one application of soap to the face and neck with no more added product and the only additional water was what was applied to the face after each pass. This is very reminiscent of the H.I.S. brush which also performed at this same level but is a larger brush. I also have a Silvertip which performs at this level with a 23mm knot but using a much larger bloom.

The next test was mug lathering with C.O. Bigelow. He was where the lather really got into motion. One small nickel sized dab of C.O. Bigelow produced enough lather on the brush alone for 3 full thick face passes, and a full thick head pass while using nothing else from the mug and still having plenty of soap left in the brush to gently wring between the thumb and finger. You can see the results in the photos below.

[Image: 7184746526_822c2bb901_b.jpg]

[Image: 7184746630_c8f45b4193_b.jpg]

[Image: 7184746498_a7ecf3d983_b.jpg]

As you can see it is quite a performer.

In closing you may see that this may quickly become one of my new favorite brushes. It performs as well as the H.I.S. brush but is easier to maneuver around the face. It is slightly less soft than the H.I.S. brush and is more expensive. However, it does look more elegant than the H.I.S brush so if that is of high importance then this brush does score high on the looks scale. All in all and excellent brush and one I hope to enjoy for years to come.

1 2,827
 05-12-2012, 04:04 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Wow,this brush looks very promising,Gary!
I really like the horn handle and the brush seems to be a lather monster! Well done for Muhle.

86 7,123
 05-12-2012, 04:40 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I love horn handles and the imitation resin horn on this brush looks great (and won't crack like one of my genuine horn handles did of its own accord recently).

I'm more than happy to embrace imitation handle materials, but I'm not so sure about synthetic knots?

I enjoy big dense knots (which this appears to have), but I've recently culled a few of my longer lofted brushes in favour of shorter ones. The Muhle appears to definitely fall in to the tall loft category. Does it feel at all "mop like" or does the synthetic fibre boast a strength and rigidity to it providing the backbone?

Thanks for the review!

I have a smaller Muhle in black horn and badger silver tip that I quite enjoy...

91 17,851
 05-12-2012, 04:45 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great Review. It looks like it's going to be a great brush.

45 3,955
 05-12-2012, 04:50 PM
User Info
Great review Gary & thanks for sharing this new brush with us. Any inside info on wether or not they are making a larger Black Fibre brush?

31 7,914
 05-12-2012, 05:09 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
That is one massive brusg, total soap killer I bet.

35 1,732
 05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
User Info
(05-12-2012, 05:09 PM)Tonality Wrote: That is one massive brusg, total soap killer I bet.

Not true on the soap killer. Remember that synthetics are solid fibers while natural animal hairs have pockets that catch and retain both water and product. Synthetics use less product than natural because the fibers will not absorb lather. That is a point in favor of the synthetics. This one produces more lather with the same amount of product than any of the natural brushes in my collection. The only one that meets it in efficiency is the H.I.S. Synthetic.

Reference the video in this thread.

http://shavenook.com/thread-synthetic-br...nd-ecomomy

(05-12-2012, 04:50 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: Great review Gary & thanks for sharing this new brush with us. Any inside info on wether or not they are making a larger Black Fibre brush?

Sorry but I don't have an inside track with Muhle. Keep looking at their website.

http://www.muehle-shaving.com/shop

(05-12-2012, 04:40 PM)ben74 Wrote: I love horn handles and the imitation resin horn on this brush looks great (and won't crack like one of my genuine horn handles did of its own accord recently).

I'm more than happy to embrace imitation handle materials, but I'm not so sure about synthetic knots?

I enjoy big dense knots (which this appears to have), but I've recently culled a few of my longer lofted brushes in favour of shorter ones. The Muhle appears to definitely fall in to the tall loft category. Does it feel at all "mop like" or does the synthetic fibre boast a strength and rigidity to it providing the backbone?

Thanks for the review!

I have a smaller Muhle in black horn and badger silver tip that I quite enjoy...

If I compare my Muhle 23mm to my Simpsons Colonel X2L they have equal amounts of backbone. This one seems to have the same level as the Muhle 23mm but is simply larger. It definitely does not mop. It is not a floppy brush.

1 2,827
 05-12-2012, 06:44 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-12-2012, 05:32 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: If I compare my Muhle 23mm to my Simpsons Colonel X2L they have equal amounts of backbone. This one seems to have the same level as the Muhle 23mm but is simply larger. It definitely does not mop. It is not a floppy brush.

Thanks for the reply, it's sounding more and more appealing!

91 17,851
 05-12-2012, 06:57 PM
User Info
D..n GD. You made me order the 33 (23 MM) from Connaught. Well, it only takes the least of urges!

0 114
 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM
  • Codfish
  • Product Tester
  • Connecticut Shoreline
User Info
(05-12-2012, 06:57 PM)nickeasy Wrote: D..n GD. You made me order the 33 (23 MM) from Connaught. Well, it only takes the least of urges!
Great review, Gary, and an excellent set of pictures. I especially like your comparison of brush sizes and accompanying data. Mühle certainly seems to be doing things right.

0 254
 05-12-2012, 08:01 PM
User Info
(05-12-2012, 07:39 PM)Codfish Wrote: Great review, Gary, and an excellent set of pictures. I especially like your comparison of brush sizes and accompanying data. Mühle certainly seems to be doing things right.

Thanks to you as well, sir. It sounds like you made it possible for Gary to provide us with such a great review. I'm very impressed with my Black Fibre & will continue to watch what Muhle puts out in the near future with rapt anticipation.

31 7,914