05-18-2014, 04:39 PM
User Info
So over the years, I've sampled various Personnas. Never really found one that I liked all that much. None were bad, just none were great to me.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. Thru a random set of circumstances, I found myself on a business trip without my blades, and the only option to buy was the Personna Med preps. So i said what they heck, I'll go for it, since it was either that or a buy a cartridge razor.

Now I will digress for a moment and say that I have a bad habit of getting overly excited after using a product once or twice, and subsequently ordering a lifetime supply of the newfangled product of the day... So I try to reserve judgement more nowadays and form my opinions over time Smile

Anyhow.....I used the first blade, and had an amazing shave. Aligning w/ my new philosophy, I just chalked it up to maybe having a zen moment dialing in my lather perfectly that day. I used the same blade the second day (w/ a different brush and soap) and had another amazing shave. Perplexed, but still calm Smile i thought maybe it was a fluke awesome blade. I threw the blade away and loaded a second for the next shave. Ran 3 more shaves thru that second blade. All awesome. When I got home I ordered more (i left those blades behind, as I only carry on my luggage). I've run these blades exclusively for over a week (on top of my travel experience), so I think I have a good grip on them now. For reference the travel shaves were with a 34C, and the home shaves were with a Weber Bulldog.

THEY ARE FREAKING AWESOME. I've used sharp blades before (including Feathers) and never really clicked w/ them (Feathers seem to piss off my face) but these Med Preps slice thru hair like butter yet leave no irritation. They are the bomb dot com.

I've got a few more random five packs of blades that I ordered that I am going to go thru this next month, but as of now these are my favorite blades of all time, replacing my 1st favorite (Voskhod) and my 2nd favorite (Treet platinum)

And yes, now I will order a 100 pack Smile

3 254
 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM
User Info
The med preps are on my list

0 128
 05-18-2014, 05:33 PM
User Info
(05-18-2014, 05:04 PM)Billy Goatee Wrote: The med preps are on my list

move them to the top Wink

3 254
 05-18-2014, 05:52 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
The "Med Preps" are great blades...They work very well in almost all my razors, and certainly have caused many other blade brands to fall by the wayside...Right now I have both the "Med Preps" and Personna "Lab blues" that I alternate frequently. The difference between the two performance wise IMO is that the Meds are more consistent blade after blade...Although some note as of late that some bad batches have come to surface!? The lab blues at less than half the price have me thinking that when my current 100 count box of Meds are all gone, I may only reorder Labs in the future.

They(labs) are certainly worth a try to see how they perform for you , possibly saving good money in the future w/out sacrificing performance.

4 794
 05-18-2014, 06:07 PM
User Info
Yes I'm ordering a 5 pack of Labs Smile

3 254
 05-18-2014, 07:44 PM
User Info
is there a difference in the Med Prep vs the Lab Blue. One vendor states that the only difference is the final sanitation.
I use both and have not noticed any difference, but I am a rookie too/ Smile

0 32
 05-18-2014, 08:48 PM
User Info
(05-18-2014, 07:44 PM)Monty11 Wrote: is there a difference in the Med Prep vs the Lab Blue. One vendor states that the only difference is the final sanitation.
I use both and have not noticed any difference, but I am a rookie too/ Smile

Rumors are that they are the same

3 254
 05-18-2014, 10:03 PM
User Info
They are the same blades, but the Med Preps go through additional washing.

In the past I though they felt the same also, but I got a box of labs that are clearly sub par. I've never had a bad MP. Wonderful blades.

32 6,470
 05-19-2014, 12:27 PM
User Info
(05-18-2014, 10:03 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: They are the same blades, but the Med Preps go through additional washing.

In the past I though they felt the same also, but I got a box of labs that are clearly sub par. I've never had a bad MP. Wonderful blades.

I've seen conflicting reports. Is the collective consensus they are the same?

3 254
 05-19-2014, 10:00 PM
User Info
how does one find themselves with the only choice being med preps or cartridge. I'd consider med preps one of the top blades, but also not one you'd find easily.

4 309
 05-20-2014, 10:33 AM
User Info
(05-19-2014, 10:00 PM)hudson Wrote: how does one find themselves with the only choice being med preps or cartridge. I'd consider med preps one of the top blades, but also not one you'd find easily.

Business trip.

I usually mail myself blades so I can carry on luggage. This time the package never arrived. I reached out to a local friend who is a wet shaver and these are what he offered.

The remind me a lot of the polsilver iridium blades but a touch smoother.

3 254
 05-22-2014, 01:34 PM
User Info
(05-19-2014, 12:27 PM)jddssc121 Wrote:
(05-18-2014, 10:03 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: They are the same blades, but the Med Preps go through additional washing.

I've seen conflicting reports. Is the collective consensus they are the same?

I can't confirm anything. I have the same info you have. The last I heard is that they come off of the same line and only the final washing(s) make the difference. That would make sense. Initially my testing of "lab blades" told me that they were the same for shaving.

But after getting burned on these last lab blades from the B/s/t I'll only buy top quality Med Preps. Trying to save a buck burned me and nothing is more expensive than that. As a "frugal Yankee" (it doesn't mean "cheap") buying something that's garbage simply doesn't compute. Buying good stuff that works as designed (and getting 100% out of it) is frugal.

I have never experienced a bad Med Prep so far. That doesn't mean it can't/won't happen.

My biggest problem is that I expect every blade that passed my initial testing to be identical and that just isn't so. There are QC variances.

32 6,470
 06-23-2014, 04:41 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 7th shave with a Personna Med Prep. I was trying to finalize “The Blade” for my Gillette NEW Short Comb. I think I have found the right match. All 7 shaves were close, smooth, and nick free. These have been some of my best shaves with any razor or blade. YMMV

……..and yes, I am one of those that did, and continues to notice a difference between the Personna Med Preps and Personna Lab Blues, with the Med Prep being better and more consistent for me personally.

[Image: SOTD6-23-14_zpse10a2526.jpg]

4 2,821
 07-14-2014, 03:22 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I just finished my 6th great shave with a Personna Med Prep. This time in my 40’s Style Super Speed. All 6 shaves were smooth, close, and nick free.

[Image: SOTD7-14-14_zps14fb1632.jpg]

4 2,821
 07-14-2014, 01:24 PM
User Info
The med prep is one of my favorite blades. And I too find that it performs better than the Lab blade, much smoother and closer shave.

46 489
 08-01-2014, 10:23 AM
User Info
Love my med preps but see very little difference between them and lab blues. As always, your results may differ.

3 78
 08-01-2014, 10:49 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The Med Preps are one of my favorites. The one thing I really like besides the smooth shave is the fact they use do not use any wax/glue on the paper.

179 23,923
 08-08-2014, 01:29 PM
User Info
Meds are the finest blade out there. They have it all. The pricing can be upwards but who says you have to buy 100's of them. Plus they are made in America.

0 1,007
 09-01-2014, 06:30 PM
  • geneb
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
I bought 100 each.

I like them both, however, the Med appears to be sharper, smoother and more consistent than the Lab.

It is possible with variability between lots, I am experiencing the worst Lab and the best Med Prep.

Only time will tell.

0 12
 09-01-2014, 06:43 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
Med preps are likely my favorite current production blade other than Gillette Platinums from St Pete. I bought a box of labs and after about a dozen, I concluded they basically sucked for me, go figure.

143 1,984