05-18-2014, 07:15 PM
User Info
Howdy All,

Been DE shaving about 5 months or so. I have an R89 and a EJ I have used several different blades but all leave me with the same results (I will say my favorite blade is the Med Pred, Lab Blue, Polsilver) my prep is after a shower, using TOB Sandlewood. I use a 4 pass sometimes more, WTG, XTG East to West, XTG West to East, ATG then a clean up pass or passes in any direction. I puff my checks, strech my skin....I always have stubble just to the left and or right of my mouth, on several places on my cheeks, below my jaw line close to tne ear and I cannot get the area above my lip close.

I have tried a sanding motion with a Fusion as a last pass which does help. Thinking about a Slant, but was advised to wait...

Anyone's suggetions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 32
 05-18-2014, 07:25 PM
User Info
The jawline tends to have very dense facial growth and can be hard to completely remove all the hair. 4 passes seems like a lot . Why not try skipping a XTG pass and focus more on your last pass ATG. If you look up blade buffing with a DE it could be a useful technique for stubborn hairs.

0 14
 05-18-2014, 07:31 PM
User Info
yeah that jaw bone has been a royal pain since DE shaving. I guess with the cartridge I could push a bit harder.

do you think a slant would help?

thanks for the info

0 32
 05-19-2014, 08:10 PM
User Info
I've had your same problem and what has recently helped A LOT is really focusing on my lather. Trying to get it a little thicker and slicker. I'm also curious on other advice, let us know what gives you results.

3 202
 05-19-2014, 08:24 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Could be a number of things, too much stretching, too much pressure? Less then optimal angle?

28 1,442
 05-20-2014, 07:40 AM
User Info
Again, could be a number of variables, but it sounds like you may need to work on your technique a bit more and you may also need a slightly more aggressive razor. The former being the aspect to focus on while stretching the skin in your final pass(es).
Best of luck. Smile

82 21,076
 05-20-2014, 07:54 AM
User Info
I do two passes, the 2nd (ATG) usually includes some blade buffing on the jawline. Usually achieve BBS or very close to it with this method. This is with a Cobra.
It has been so long since I have used anything else, but my Weber requires just a little more effort (Touch-ups)

31 1,800
 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM
User Info
Believe it may be your choice of razors. Try the '04 Gillettes( like the WW1 years). Great history great shave.

5 410
 05-20-2014, 01:36 PM
User Info
Better lather is always a plus, so that's a no brainer.

If you have the proper angle nailed, and no pressure, then go to a more aggressive razor. Sorry, I have no experience with what you're using. But your blades are really good. But a more aggressive razor also means you have to be spot on with technique. That includes no pressure and lather. Any lack of technique and you will definitely pay the price in blood.

I'd make the decision to go with blades or cartridges too. Both require different techniques and you can't serve 2 masters IMO.

32 6,458
 05-21-2014, 05:25 PM
User Info
Thanks All!!

I am going to work on the lather and technique a bit longer.

I will keep you updated, but I would like an R41 could be a good excuse. Smile

Thanks Again

0 32
 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM
User Info
I have the same issue and two things have helped me.

1. I don't care anymore. I realize that shaving is not a math problem with a specific identifiable answer. Every shave is different and some days will be better than others. I embrace the shave and accept that yes, some stubble will be left no matter what.

2. Soap! I have found that more than any other factor, some soaps just give me a closer shave. Tiki Bar usually gives me the closest shave and keeps me smooth for much, much longer than other soaps. People will talk about blades, razors, angle, passes, etc., but when you have been doing this for a while and your technique is sound, there are less variables. For me, the soap used is usually the biggest factor in me getting a close, comfortable shave with the most stubble removal.

32 344
 05-22-2014, 03:32 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info.

interesting what you are saying about the soap, I use cream TOB. I will try a soap.

What is other folks opinion's, soap or cream?

0 32
 05-22-2014, 04:11 PM
User Info
You can get an excellent lather from both, no need to rush out and buy a soap. That said I do prefer soap. Check The BST or possibly shoot for one that's a guaranteed performer. I hate to stick my neck out 'cause there's LOTS of opinions on scent, but Cella is supposed to work well and I enjoy the ease of Proraso in my (small) rotation.

3 202
 05-22-2014, 04:32 PM
  • Deuce
  • Just a guy
  • Cave Creek
User Info
Looks like the team is giving very good advice, Monty. Very good lather is essential-reading some of Brian's posts I tried the super-uber lather, and it's a great technique. Also the razor/blade combination. For my average beard/sensitive skin, I too have the same problem areas. The open combs and slant work very well for me, and they are best with different blades-go figure! And, as fbones24 suggested, I don't chase perfection in every shave

19 742
 05-22-2014, 04:54 PM
User Info
(05-21-2014, 05:25 PM)Monty11 Wrote: Thanks All!!

I am going to work on the lather and technique a bit longer.

I will keep you updated, but I would like an R41 could be a good excuse. Smile

Thanks Again

I just wanted to add that I never found more aggressive razors to give me a closer shave. If anything, I find just the opposite.

I get the closest shaves from my Feather ASD1 which is widely considered to be the mildest razor on the market. I would not recommend this razor for you right now. The point is, I would not blame the R89 and think the the 41 is going to give you the results you want.

It may sound crazy, but I had an R41 and I still think the R89 gives me a better shave.

32 344
 05-22-2014, 09:23 PM
User Info
if you do try out a slant, check out this wonderful article that tony sc wrote about the slant concept: http://shavenook.com/thread-the-slant-concept

40 5,830
 05-23-2014, 03:07 AM
User Info
If all else fails...

[Image: dl-163_1z.jpg]

2 95
 05-23-2014, 05:04 AM
User Info
Hi Monty,
I, too had some issues with stubble around my mouth and jaw line. I received great advice from the forum about technique and that alone really has helped. Whether with my Feather AS-D2 (very mild) to my Mühle R41 and Merkur 37C (very aggressive), it's the angle and the stroke that shears the hairs. Some shaves are better than others, but I enjoy chasing after the BSS. That being said, sounds like you have legitimate reasons to expand your den! Wink

39 3,918
 05-23-2014, 08:17 AM
User Info
My adam's apple is virtually impossible to get quite right. Every single hair seems to grow in its own direction. One of the reasons it took me so long to shave with a straight most days is the inability to shave in 360 different directions with a straight.

The question I would ask is can people see the hair, or is it just you feeling them? I'm a bit blessed in that my facial hair is a reddish blonde (that which hasn't grayed) so minor stubble isn't noticed like it would be with a deep black.

129 6,685