05-19-2014, 04:35 AM
User Info
When I first saw Johnny's review of the Mr3 I got intrigued. The last time I used a cartridge was with a wilkinson disposable on a 3 day visit to Barcelona. I did not care for it much, and should have checked in my luggage with a proper razor.

So now that I *needed* a carry on friendly razor I decided to get one of these. I am figured I'd get the slightly cheaper model because it had 3 2-blade cartridges instead of 2 3-blade like the MR3 and it also came with a mini canister of Japanese shaving cream.

The razor handle itself is very nice. It is larger than you'd think, with good grip and balance.

I am now on my 5th shave with this razor and it is almost as good as on the 2nd.
Shave 1: at the gym with Nivea cream. Wow - that was very close, I felt the "wow" feeling until evening. Maybe a bit too close. I usually don't go ATG but for some reason it felt natural with this razor. What I did not like was the lubrication strip. It gets messed with the rest of the lather.

Shave 2: at home, with the included Japanese canned goo. It was not bad, rather unremarkable. Almost no scent. Still the schmutz-strip got in the way, but I guess it complements the that foam.

About the lub-strip - I don't care for it one bit. After that shave I removed it using a single edge blade. I started by scraping off the schmutz, but then realized I can just wedge it under the strip and get the whole darn thing out. much better.(you can see a schmutzless cartridge on the 2nd photo)

Shave 3: With Klar Kabinett. Not bad at all, but not spectacular either. That gel serves a purpose after all.
Shave 4: with Colonel Conk Bay Rum. Mehh... Now Conk is a pretty shabby soap in my book. I just happened to have it around because it is excellent "de-funking" soap for brushes. They should market it at that and it would be a hit.

Shave 5: again with Nivea at the gym. It really works well with Nivea. Good close shave. And no schmutz!

I thought the cartridge was over the hill by shave 3 but it seems that with good lather it was back in the game.

I am going to see how many shaves I can get out of this cart. It is pretty good, and on days you want to have a perfect shave without the risk of overdoing it with a DE/SE/Straight, it is a good option. A cart costs about $2, you can get as much as 20 Astra blades for that much money, which means at least 40 shaves if not 60. Who wants to use the same cart for a month? I don't know. I remember the Mach3 carts used to pull on around the third shave and they were about $4 each as of 2 years ago when I bid farewell to them so in that comparison it is a winner no doubt.

[Image: As0U1fv.jpg]
[Image: BtS1CbU.jpg]
[Image: gOI7alj.jpg]

6 808
 05-19-2014, 04:50 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I get 7 shaves from my Feather FII Neo blades.

175 23,752
 05-19-2014, 08:15 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-19-2014, 04:35 AM)Galhatz Wrote: Shave 4: with Colonel Conk Bay Rum. Mehh... Now Conk is a pretty shabby soap in my book. I just happened to have it around because it is excellent "de-funking" soap for brushes. They should market it at that and it would be a hit.

Colonel Conk Amber was my only shaving soap for more than a decade, used with a good brush (Vulfix 2234S Super Badger) and a serially monogamous variety of cartridge razors. My lathering technique then ... wasn't; that is, I did not generate, or really attempt to generate, real lather with the Colonel Conk, but rather applied a fairly viscous slippery bubble water. In fact, even after using Colonel Conk for all those years, I have no idea how much lather it could produce. When I brushed the Colonel Conk onto my face, the film on my beard did not look all that different from the film of the brushless shaving cream (Aubrey Organic Mens Stock Northwoods) that I carry in my Dopp kit for travel. I wonder if all the non-love for Colonel Conk may come from shavers used to soaps and creams that behave very differently than Colonel Conk does, and maybe, in trying to get it to lather, they "wore it out" before applying it to their beards.

0 1,049
 05-19-2014, 11:20 AM
User Info
Is this handle plastic or metal?

I'm tempted and I think I will get one in a month or so.

7 1,182
 05-19-2014, 12:03 PM
User Info
Plastic

6 808
 05-23-2014, 02:50 PM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
It's worth picking one up Dipesh, I've been pleasantly surprised by the FII Neo and will probably pick up the MR3 (although, just to use the handle with the FII blades).

0 132
 05-24-2014, 12:10 AM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 02:50 PM)Exapno Wrote: It's worth picking one up Dipesh, I've been pleasantly surprised by the FII Neo and will probably pick up the MR3 (although, just to use the handle with the FII blades).

I'll be grabbing them in June sometime from connaught shaving. At the moment I'm loving the hydro 5.

The chance of pace of cartridge shaving is quite a lot of fun!

7 1,182
 05-24-2014, 11:32 AM
User Info
(05-19-2014, 04:35 AM)Galhatz Wrote: When I first saw Johnny's review of the Mr3 I got intrigued. The last time I used a cartridge was with a wilkinson disposable on a 3 day visit to Barcelona. I did not care for it much, and should have checked in my luggage with a proper razor.

So now that I *needed* a carry on friendly razor I decided to get one of these. I am figured I'd get the slightly cheaper model because it had 3 2-blade cartridges instead of 2 3-blade like the MR3 and it also came with a mini canister of Japanese shaving cream.

I found the MR3 Neo but can't locate the handle for the FII. I assume that the MR3 handle will fit the FII blades as well? I really like MR3 when I use a cart. Very nice shave. Smile

The razor handle itself is very nice. It is larger than you'd think, with good grip and balance.

I am now on my 5th shave with this razor and it is almost as good as on the 2nd.
Shave 1: at the gym with Nivea cream. Wow - that was very close, I felt the "wow" feeling until evening. Maybe a bit too close. I usually don't go ATG but for some reason it felt natural with this razor. What I did not like was the lubrication strip. It gets messed with the rest of the lather.

Shave 2: at home, with the included Japanese canned goo. It was not bad, rather unremarkable. Almost no scent. Still the schmutz-strip got in the way, but I guess it complements the that foam.

About the lub-strip - I don't care for it one bit. After that shave I removed it using a single edge blade. I started by scraping off the schmutz, but then realized I can just wedge it under the strip and get the whole darn thing out. much better.(you can see a schmutzless cartridge on the 2nd photo)

Shave 3: With Klar Kabinett. Not bad at all, but not spectacular either. That gel serves a purpose after all.
Shave 4: with Colonel Conk Bay Rum. Mehh... Now Conk is a pretty shabby soap in my book. I just happened to have it around because it is excellent "de-funking" soap for brushes. They should market it at that and it would be a hit.

Shave 5: again with Nivea at the gym. It really works well with Nivea. Good close shave. And no schmutz!

I thought the cartridge was over the hill by shave 3 but it seems that with good lather it was back in the game.

I am going to see how many shaves I can get out of this cart. It is pretty good, and on days you want to have a perfect shave without the risk of overdoing it with a DE/SE/Straight, it is a good option. A cart costs about $2, you can get as much as 20 Astra blades for that much money, which means at least 40 shaves if not 60. Who wants to use the same cart for a month? I don't know. I remember the Mach3 carts used to pull on around the third shave and they were about $4 each as of 2 years ago when I bid farewell to them so in that comparison it is a winner no doubt.

[Image: As0U1fv.jpg]
[Image: BtS1CbU.jpg]
[Image: gOI7alj.jpg]

0 38
 08-04-2014, 02:25 AM
  • jed_zed
  • Milton Keynes, UK
User Info
I used my Feather FII Neo for the first time this weekend as I knew I would be short of time. Coupled with Lucky Tiger Liquid Shave Cream (I told you I'd be short on time) I was pleasantly surprised. Sharp, comfortable and acceptably close for a one pass shave. Certainly would be very happy to recommend as a Cartridge razor.

Jon

0 19
 08-11-2014, 03:50 AM
  • jed_zed
  • Milton Keynes, UK
User Info
Used it again over the weekend and my earlier experience was repeated. It's a good razor, sharp and smooth. I can't get it as close as me DE razors, but when time is of the essence it's a winner.

0 19
 08-23-2014, 07:06 AM
User Info
I've tried it a few times now and I'm not impressed to be honest. I just cant get a close enough shave with it.

0 37