05-19-2014, 12:07 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
First I must apologize for my abrupt style, typos and bad pictures as this is all being done via cellphone.
-----

This is my first time in Italy. Moreover it's my first vacation after becoming interested in our little hobby - so now I see the wetshaving in everything :-). I thought I'd share with fellow nookers.

Wetshaving supplies are everywhere. Every supermarket I've visited stocks shaving cream, soap, brush, pre-post etc. Proraso dominates but I also saw Figaro, Prep & Palmolive. All the std Supermarket assortment viz foam, AS from Gillette, Nivea etc is also carried.

Soaps and creams were all 1-1.5 EUR. Proraso brush was 4 EUR (if you haven't seen it - it's very similar to the Omega 48).

I bought a Prep cream to try for 2 Eur. Here it is - hanging out with my travel kit:

[Image: a3asypad.jpg]

(Prelim verdict on Prep is that I don't love it as pre or post. It performs very sim to Proraso pre-post for me. In my book - both are ok, not great)

More notes to follow...

17 535
 05-19-2014, 12:48 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Enjoy your vacation, V. ... and thanks for sharing your shaving experiences there ... Smile

It's hard to imagine having such availability of wet-shaving software so readily available at stores everywhere ...

... let me know if you come across any straights with the name 'Livi' ... Biggrin

102 18,552
 05-19-2014, 01:34 PM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Lol - will do Ravi! Something I forgot to mention was - while soaps, brushes and creams abound - there is nary a DE razor or blade to be seen. The razor segment is owned by carts - it's all Gillette Fusion etc as per usual.

17 535
 05-20-2014, 07:30 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Tuscany is very beautiful. Olive trees as far as the eye can see. [Image: u9agu5yp.jpg]
The local olive wood handicrafts remind me of the recent Semogue LE brush handle. (told you, see wet shaving in everything)

The water here is very hard. Building lather is an ordeal. Look at the inside of my kettle. [Image: eraqape6.jpg]
Any suggestions?

17 535
 05-20-2014, 06:47 PM
User Info
Vinny, great to see that you are on vacation and enjoying it! Have a great time, my friend!

Hard water = load double the product and use a synthetic brush! Works, almost, all the time! Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-20-2014, 06:54 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing the pics. Enjoy the vacation!!

30 1,745
 05-22-2014, 10:08 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Our cottage is surrounded by the biggest rosemary bushes I have ever seen. And what do they remind me of? MDC of course :-)
[Image: vy7urere.jpg]

(05-20-2014, 06:47 PM)celestino Wrote: Hard water = load double the product and use a synthetic brush! Works, almost, all the time! Biggrin

Thanks Celestino. I followed your advice and it works. But I still miss Boston's soft water! Hard water makes life very hard indeed.

Also - remember I said that after Celestino makes you go SB you can't go back? Smile It's completely true - I packed no SB and now regret it. At least for me - it's the best ASB (and cheapest!).

17 535
 05-22-2014, 06:42 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Vinny, enjoy that vacation; Italy is a wonderful place. Thanks for sharing the photos, too. Thumbsup

2 11,211
 05-23-2014, 04:16 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
There is a small village on the road down from us. This is a pic from the co-op store there. Sorry for the hazy pic - was chasing after a toddler!
[Image: a9u3asu8.jpg]
Note the Proraso, Palmolive and Figaro cream/soap. Also the Figaro can(never seen before).

Point is - no matter where you are - you can find wetshaving supplies.

17 535
 05-23-2014, 05:28 AM
User Info
Not very different from here, Portugal. You can find decent shaving creams (Like Palmolive, Nivea, etc.) at nearly every supermarket. Smile

2 5,545
 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM
  • v4257
  • Boston, USA
User Info
Emanuel: I was wondering myself - is it just the US supermarkets/pharmacies that are devoid of wetshaving supplies? I can attest that one can also find them in shops in UK and India (the 2 other countries I've lived in). I would say avail wise it's been India>Italy>UK.

Perhaps other global members can comment about avail in their countries.

Then we can all speculate why it is so. :-)

17 535
 05-23-2014, 02:54 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Vinny, I know what you mean. When I visit my friend in Scotland each year the pharmacies, while not carrying huge amounts, do offer a reasonably nice selection. Good luck in the United States. Rolleyes

2 11,211
 05-24-2014, 06:55 PM
User Info
Vinny, I told you you would enjoy the shea butter! Biggrin

82 21,056