03-03-2012, 12:38 AM
User Info
Well I bought some brushes on ebay again a few days ago. I just got this one yesterday or so if I remember right. I was giving it a cleaning last night and already knew I wouldn't be saving the knot but wasn't sure if it'd be one of those that really has a firm hold on it or if it'll just pop right out. As luck has it it fell into the second category.

While the hole isn't as clean as my first restore was, it still looks to be as easy with this one. The first one had nothing there to clean. Nothing. Pop the old one out, lil' epoxy and place the new knot and all done. This has some epoxy still, both powdered, and what first looks hard, but you can take something to it and with a little effort it moves out of the way like a very thick putty.

Compare this all to a Duke 1 butterscotch which is as hard as nails trying to get that crap out! Of which I still haven't completely done. I was thinking of getting a shavemac knot for it, but it just seems wrong not to send it to Simpson for a knot.

I just thought it was funny the extreme differences between the three brushes. I still have 4 other brushes which are going to be more involved than the first two, but not as hard as the Duke. I'm sure others who have done far more than me has more observations. Smile

10 456
 03-03-2012, 06:09 AM
User Info
I know I'm new at this wet shaving thing, but I never thought that brush restoration could be done, except for very expensive handles. Angel
is it possible to buy just the knots ? Huh

0 81
 03-03-2012, 06:43 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-03-2012, 06:09 AM)orlandosn Wrote: I know I'm new at this wet shaving thing, but I never thought that brush restoration could be done, except for very expensive handles. Angel
is it possible to buy just the knots ? Huh

Hi

Take a look at this thread to see the kind of shaving brush restoration that's possible: Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-03-2012, 12:39 PM
User Info
Thanks, Mike! Wink

0 81
 03-03-2012, 04:43 PM
User Info
Any brush can have a new knot set in. You'd want a handle you like and nice condition. There are knots you can buy like Whipped Dog and TGN knots to place in the box, and if you don't mind shelling out more for a more premium knot you could get Shavemac to make a knot for you and ship the knot. Shavemac even has a restoration service. Several manufacturers would be willing to put a new knot in but have to send it in.

10 456
 03-03-2012, 08:49 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
@Kooshman.

Great looking handle. What brand is it? And what knot are you going to use?
Looks like a TGN Finest would be right at home.

47 1,377
 03-03-2012, 08:55 PM
User Info
It's a Strong Set brush with no model name. I'm not too sure of the knot I'd use right now. A finest would look good more than likely, but I might go with a Silvertip Grade A knot this time. I've been thinking about giving Whipped Dog's knots a try. I'm going to take a little more time on this brush and get some sanding pads and some good polish and give it a good going over. Not too much to do really but I'd just like to take the time to really shine on this one. Also, I'll need to paint the knot hole as some of the black came off during knot removal. I'm playing with the idea of painting it something other than black, but not too sure what. Anyone ever repainted the knot hole and know of a particular type that works well?

10 456
 03-03-2012, 09:10 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I've painted several. Being a traditionalist, though, I've only used black.

Testors model paint from Michaels' or a hobby shop works just fine.

47 1,377
 03-03-2012, 10:53 PM
User Info
Thanks MaxP for the help. I'll put that on the list and go crazy someday here on some restores. I got to try at least a few with something different than black. I sorta got hooked on the white and blue Semogue acrylics so some other types would be interesting if I find a good color. Smile

10 456
 03-05-2012, 09:20 AM
User Info
(03-03-2012, 08:55 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: I've been thinking about giving Whipped Dog's knots a try.
As someone who has used both TGN & Whipped Dog knots, I can say that either is an excellent choice for a brush restore. Unfortunately, Larry is out of Silvertip for the time being, and I can't speak to his black badger knots.

(03-03-2012, 08:55 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: Also, I'll need to paint the knot hole as some of the black came off during knot removal. I'm playing with the idea of painting it something other than black, but not too sure what. Anyone ever repainted the knot hole and know of a particular type that works well?
I have an Ever-Ready brush similar to this that I screwed up quite badly while removing the knot - it too was a black set knot in a clear Lucite handle. I'm thinking of either removing the remainder of the black paint, or possibly trying to use a black acrylic paint to fix my mistake. If you do paint, I would seal it somehow to make sure the epoxy doesn't react with the paint and give you some unexpected results.

1 39
 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(03-05-2012, 09:20 AM)pezhore Wrote: If you do paint, I would seal it somehow to make sure the epoxy doesn't react with the paint and give you some unexpected results.

I touched up old paint using new black Testors and had no problems at all reacting to the epoxy. In one, I even added a couple drops of the paint to the epoxy to make it a black epoxy instead of clear.

just my experience...

47 1,377
 03-07-2012, 06:36 AM
User Info
I like the handle. Looks "thater-ish" with the plexiglass.

9 333