05-12-2012, 07:42 PM
User Info
Other than obvious, but do we really trust each other that well that we're willing to risk our health to save a few bucks?

It just occurred to me while using my brush that i got 4 cheap. Why am I using this brush? How do I know the guy that I bought this from, didn't shave his privates with it?

Scenario here, how do I know the guy doesn't have some sort of disease, where he cut himself and still shaved with the same brush I'm using now and not only lathered with the brush over the spot, but dipped it back in his soap or cream? And now I've possibly contracted that disease from this guy and not even know it yet.

0 128
 05-12-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
i have no issues selling my soaps/creams, but prefer to buy them NEW.

unless it's a discontinued product, i buy NEW.

i've boat the odd thing used (brush, razor etc) but always disinfect with alcohol and/or barbicide a few times at my end.

the thought of a used cream freaks me out. soaps, i will buy from time to time (but only if i have to) and still scrape the top off, regardless of who it came from.

like you said, you never know what the previous owner has done to it, and for a few bucks more, it can usually be found new.

8 2,718
 05-12-2012, 08:06 PM
User Info
I can understand where you are coming from. While I have no problem with soaps, creams (especially in a tube), and razors (since I put a new blade in) I'm still very much on the edge about a used brush.

40 1,984
 05-12-2012, 08:18 PM
User Info
Just sanitize & clean it appropriately. I'm not a germ theory guy and instead I rather have a lot of faith that our body is designed to handle lots of stuff. Still, be smart & clean anything used appropriately. Or if you have a hang up about it, just don't buy used. I'll tell you this, you'll be missing out on the best razors out there if you don't try a used razor.

I'm reminded of the Friends episode where Joey and Chandler are arguing about the shower they share, & the soap in the shower. Joey then reminds Chandler that he washes a certain area last and that Chandler showers after him and he washes his face first. So in that regard Chandler is washing his face in Joey's nether-region soap residue. But then again soap is soap and isn't it always clean??? You be the judge, but I guarantee you that people will fall on both extremes of this scenario.

31 8,065
 05-12-2012, 08:51 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I invested in barbicide and a container for this reason. It was cheap to do and it gives a nice look to my nook. I've disinfected all of my razors but I've heard you can't use barbicide on brushes so what is the best way to sanitize a brush?

45 3,955
 05-12-2012, 09:46 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
While I am a bit of a germ-a-phob, I never give this a thought when making a purchase. Germs all have a limited time in which they can survive on a hostile surface. It is one thing to wonder about the just used door knob on a public bathroom door a quite another to worry about a dry brush, metal razor or even cream in a tub. These are not breeding grounds for germs.

129 4,001
 05-13-2012, 07:51 AM
User Info
The most dangerous thing we do every day with our health is shake hands with other people. This is the most common way of transferring germs. By comparison, sharing a jar, puck, bar, tube of soap is no risk.

I've become not germ phobic, but germ aware though only with regard to actual physical contact with others. Not in the least concerned about razors and brushes. Those can be sterilized easily enough.

Some recent research, btw, suggests that it's our diminishing, not increasing, exposure to common bacteria that's causing an increase in allergies and asthma. In other words, our cleanliness is making us less resilient to our environment, not more. Don't know if this research is accurate. Some study may come out in a year and say the exact opposite.

5 298
 05-13-2012, 12:20 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
Have you ever really thought about who and what has touched the door handles at the mall?
Or the toilet handles?

I'm okay taking on a pre-owned brush. That's why there's Barbacide!

68 1,969
 05-13-2012, 09:06 PM
User Info
I can't remember how long something like AIDS lives outside the body, but even if that's "the" disease, it lasts days at most outside of the body. It's really pretty frail. How long does it take to get, for instance, a brush that has been purchased through the mail? Then after it's received it gets washed; I know I wash everything I receive.

I never buy used soaps, but I've had some samples sent to me, but it's soap and by the time I get to them anything is dead. Any samples I send out are virgin and not out of my cabinet and I know I have nothing communicable and certainly nothing deadly. That's only responsible to do that. The giving and receiving is a 2 way street. Yes, I know we make a lot of assumptions that others feel the same as we do and have the same mores.

Razors? Well gold and silver kill germs so if they're that, you're pretty safe, but wash them anyway and be sure they're clean (ever wonder why gold and silver was money in the old days? Or why one ate off of silver?). Other surface, the "time out/you're dead" thing is still in effect, and cleaning still should be done, and if it's a metal razor (no plastic parts) a quick boil in detergent will do the trick.

Now if the person had BSE, you'd need to melt the razor to deactivate the Prions, so maybe buying/trading is a hazard, but how many people have BSE? It's a newspaper event when that happens because it's so rare.

As previously written, the shopping cart handle, any door handle or light switch, and the mens room handle are of far more concern, as is a computer keyboard. How many times have you seen a mens room handle that had a handle that must be used to get out? I'm certain everyone using the MR washed their hands. Unh huh, sure, and I have ocean front property in Nebraska for sale. Biggrin When I was working when we had time we'd time the persons dwell time in the MR. It takes a certain amount of time to drain the kidneys and wash hands. An incredible # of folks either had super powers or didn't. And we shake hands too, and most folks are righties.

With minor precautions it's in the category of not worth worrying about IMO. Of course you need to be comfortable and if you aren't, then you aren't. We may have made you a recluse with our responses too.

FWIW, the polio epidemic of 70 years ago was caused by NOT allowing the young to encounter polio while still under the mothers immunity protection. It's normally encountered in the normal (dirty) environment. Things were kept too sterile and clean. There are germs one needs to encounter to be able to develop immunity and w/o immunity you'd better live in a sterile environment to survive.

32 6,609
 05-14-2012, 06:35 AM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
(05-13-2012, 09:06 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I can't remember how long something like AIDS lives outside the body, but even if that's "the" disease, it lasts days at most outside of the body. It's really pretty frail. How long does it take to get, for instance, a brush that has been purchased through the mail? Then after it's received it gets washed; I know I wash everything I receive.
Even AIDS can only last for hours at most outside the body.

http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5229358_lon...face_.html

The HIV Virus Outside of the Body
Viruses are delicate and without a host, they will quickly die. HIV can only last for a few hours at the most outside of a host. Laboratory studies by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have found that even super-concentrated amounts of HIV will die within hours on a surface.

129 4,001
 05-14-2012, 06:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Buying used razors and brushes does not bother me at all. Both are easy to clean.

I use to be a member of the pipe collecting world and we bought and traded used/pre smoked pipes all the time. That's right, pre-smoked pipes that someone else has had in their mouth. There is a cleaning and sterilizing process for cleaning a pipe and they smoke as good as new. The pipe I'm smoking right now came from a gentleman in England that I bought four years ago. Has not killed me yet.

188 26,304
 05-14-2012, 07:02 AM
User Info
As discussed, there are plenty of ways to clean and sterilize to please even the most nervous buyer so I have no issue buying used. Having said that, I do pass on gear that looks gunky or poorly cleaned in ad photos. Dodgy

73 4,356
 05-14-2012, 07:09 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I agree with you on that Billy. If you don't care enough to clean it up for a picture, I don't want to do business with you.

188 26,304
 05-14-2012, 07:10 AM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
Totally agree with you Billy. If you aren't willing to clean it up for sale, I am not willing to buy it.

129 4,001
 05-14-2012, 07:41 AM
User Info
I've bought a number of used razors, some NOS, some quite clean, and some kinda cruddy. They all cleaned up before I used them or passed them on.

I don't bid on any products with fuzzy, out of focus pictures, which can hide some serious defects.

0 1,377
 05-14-2012, 11:37 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-14-2012, 07:41 AM)wknicholas Wrote: I've bought a number of used razors, some NOS, some quite clean, and some kinda cruddy. They all cleaned up before I used them or passed them on.

I don't bid on any products with fuzzy, out of focus pictures, which can hide some serious defects.

Yup, that always sends up warning flags to me, too.

2 5,000
 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I agree with what others have said, if the item in picture looks dirty I will pass. If its out focus or fuzzy,I will pass also.

Most used razors I assume have not been in regular use for awhile.A good cleaning etc, makes it usable for me. I not overly concerned about using used razors or brushes.

1 3,507
 05-14-2012, 11:50 AM
User Info
I think there is a very simple reason we do buy used razors, soaps and brushes of each other: We all hate to see decent products lay unused and unloved.

3 7,394
 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM
User Info
I agree with what's been said above - as long as you're careful, and you sanitize used stuff, you should be fine.

However, everyone's different - there's no reason to use used stuff if it makes you uncomfortable. You can get everything you need in yoru den new, and some of the new stuff (including razors) is as good or better than that vintage stuff.

39 1,750
 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
(05-14-2012, 07:41 AM)wknicholas Wrote: I've bought a number of used razors, some NOS, some quite clean, and some kinda cruddy. They all cleaned up before I used them or passed them on.

I just recently purchased a Lady Gillette for her, and the picture was absolutely horrible, but the price was right.

It came with a USED blade in it, and several USED blades in the blade bank. Absolutely disgusting, almost cut myself when I took it out of the package.
The blurry picture had me worried, but the razor and case are absolutely mint. After a dip in barbicide, and some cleaning, it looks as if it's brand new.

Sometimes those fuzzy photo's are diamonds in the rough, coming from a seller that really doesn't know what they have.

Anyone have a good tip to sterilize a brush?

9 408