05-20-2014, 08:38 AM
User Info
I won Simpsons Luxury Shaving Cream in a contest Mark was having on this forum. All he asked in a return is review. I am a man of my word, so here goes.

I am not a cream user. I have tried various creams over time, but most of the products in my collection are croaps. The only hard soap I use is Tabac. So this is exciting for me, because it’s something new.

Simpsons is a true luxury brand and this cream is no exception. When I first opened the package I was surprised at the quality of the packaging. It comes in a nice aluminum screw top tin. I give the packaging 5 stars.

Of course the first thing I did from here is to open the cream and smell it. The scent I received is Citrus Burst, and the scent matches the description. I am not a fragrance expert, but I smell lemon and grapefruit with a floral element. I’m not sure what that floral element is, but it’s definitely in there. This scent is truly a spring scent. The scent reminds me of a sunny 70 degree day, sitting on your front porch in the shade, enjoying the cool breeze, and drinking a glass of lemonade. After the shave I still would catch occasional glimpses of the scent, so there is some lingering, but not enough to interfere with a fragrance. I give the scent 5 stars.

The consistency of the cream is thicker than most of your standard creams, but it is not as thick as Castle Forbes. With this product a little bit goes a long way. On my first trial I definitely used too much. This jar of cream is not huge, about standard size, so I think it will last a while based on the fact that a little goes a long way. With that being said, I would rather use too much product than not enough, to ensure a great shave. I’m not sure how long this would last me, but Mark estimates two months or more of daily use.

I decided to bowl lather this cream and I was surprised at the results. The lather was so thick you would have thought it came from soap, but it didn’t. When I applied the lather to my face it went on nice and thick for all 4 passes. The lather was slick and provided excellent protection. I could barely feel the blade. I am going to give this 5/5 stars for a cream.

The cream is now only available from Mark’s website and the price is GBP 12.95, which is about $21.78, excluding shipping. To me this is a fairly expensive product, but that also reflects Simpsons differentiated business strategy. There is no doubt in my mind that this is a luxury product, and the price reflects this. Value here would really depend on how long this cream lasts you, assuming you are taking the time to dial in the right amount, which is what I am still working on. As of right now I can’t really comment on value because I can’t predict how long this will last me. I am going to try to use this product exclusively for a while so I can get a good idea on what the true value really is.

Overall I would say that Mark has a winner on his hands. It’s obvious that he and his team really put a lot of effort into this product to tweak it to fit the Simpsons name. I am grateful to him and his team for providing me with the opportunity to try this product on them. If you decide to pick one up, I think you would truly enjoy it, and it would fit nicely into your rotation.

Best,

Nick

63 1,721
 05-20-2014, 09:10 AM
User Info
Thanks for a useful review Nick. I'm waiting for these creams to be available at US vendors. I'll definitely try the Sandalwood, Vanilla Rose, and Lavender.

50 6,416
 05-20-2014, 09:22 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Very nice review Nick, thanks for the write up... I found it very helpful and informative Smile!

34 1,627
 05-20-2014, 11:32 AM
User Info
No problem gents. I really want to try the Cafe Latte next. Can't say I've heard of any other creams with that scent and it sounds like it's right up my alley.

63 1,721
 05-23-2014, 01:25 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I wasn't too interested in this scent, but after reading your impressions, I now am!

99 18,011